Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

2 suspects in shooting of Oriental Mindoro prosecutor killed in police encounter

by Robie de Guzman   |   Posted on Monday, June 17th, 2019

Courtesy :PRO- MIMAROPA

MANILA, Philippines – Two suspects in the shooting of a provincial prosecutor in Oriental Mindoro were killed in a police operation launched in Barangay Sapul in Calapan City on Monday.

Police identified the fatalities as Robert Magboo and Edeper Hindap Gran.

According to Police Brigadier General Tomas Apolinario, chief of Police Regional Office 4B, the encounter occurred when operatives were conducting a follow-up operation on the shooting incident last June 10 that wounded prosecutor Josephine Caranzo Olivar.

Apolinario said they launched the operation after tracing the suspects’ hideout as revealed by one of their cohorts, named Joven Sena Umali.

Umali was arrested last June 14 after he was positively identified as the owner of a red motorcycle used by suspects to get away from the crime scene. The shooting incident was caught on CCTV.

Authorities recovered from Sumali’s motorcycle two helmets and a caliber .45 gun allegedly used in shooting Olivar. These items have been turned over to the Regional Crime Laboratory Office to undergo a ballistic and cross-matching examination.

Apolinario said the shooting incident may likely be connected to cases previously handled by Olivar. (with details from Lea Ylagan)

Tags: , , , ,

3 NPA terrorists killed in Mindoro encounter

by Marje Pelayo   |   Posted on Friday, June 14th, 2019

Courtesy: (2DPAO, 2ID, PA)

RIZAL, Philippines — Three members of the New People’s Army (NPA) terrorist group were killed in an encounter with the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) in the town of Mansalay in Oriental Mindoro province.

The encounter took place on Thursday afternoon (June 13) and lasted for almost two hours.

According to BGen. Marceliano Teofilo, the commander of the 203rd Infantry Brigade which has operational jurisdiction over Mindoro Province, they received information from concerned citizen that the NPA terrorists in the area will conduct training to their newly recruited members of which some were believed to be minors.

“This prompted us to conduct Focused Military Operation (FMO) and our troops were able to locate their whereabouts, and fire fight broke,” Teofilo said.

The military also recovered three M16 rifles; one AK-47; one cal.45 with 2 magazines; one grenade launcher tube; two improvised explosive devices (IED) and switch; three blasting caps; two cellphones; and assorted kinds of ammunitions at the encounter site.

According to the report, one soldier from the Army’s 4IB was slightly wounded in the left ear but is now in safe condition.

Lt.Col. Alexander Arbolado, Battalion Commander of the 4IB said they already dispatched additional troops and K9 units to track the whereabouts of the retreating rebels.

“We will not let them go until they are totally destroyed,” he said.

BGen. Teofilo calls on the NPA rebels to surrender or else “suffer the fate of their comrades” as the military will not stop in pursuing them.

Meanwhile, Army’s 2nd Infantry Division spokesperson Capt. Patrick Jay Retumban said “the intel community is now validating the reports that an NPA Commander was slain during the encounter”.

If it’s true, BGen. Teofilo said it would be a major blow to the NPA rebel unit in Mindoro.

“Their days are numbered and in just a matter of time the NPA here will be on the verge of collapse due to their numerous setbacks in armed encounters and snowballing of surrenderees,” he noted.

Tags: , , , , , ,

Suspected NPA rebels burn down heavy equipment in Oriental Mindoro

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Tuesday, February 26th, 2019

Suspected NPA rebels set several heavy equipment on fire after infiltrating the eight-megawatt hydropower plant project site of Sta. Clara International Corporation in Brgy. Malvar, Naujan, Oriental Mindoro on Monday (February 25).

According to Emilyn Tresioso, project manager of Sta. Clara, she was informed by the security personnel assigned in the area about the presence of at least 30 armed men who posed as members of the Philippine Army.

These armed men set fire to 12 units of heavy equipment in the project site and afterwards, identified themselves as members of the Communist Terrorist Group (CTG).

Asst. camp supervisor, Ms. Catherine Lagunera said, all employees evacuated the site while the rebels began torching the main building including the safety office and warehouse.

The rebels left the scene and proceeded to Brgy. San Andres, Naujan, Oriental Mindoro according to police report. — Aileen Cerrudo

Tags: , , ,

7 robbery suspects killed in encounter with Batangas cops

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, February 26th, 2019

BATANGAS, Philippines — Seven robbery-holdup suspects died on the spot after engaging the Batangas police in a fire fight in Brgy. Banyaga Agoncillo, Batangas on Monday at dawn.

According to an initial investigation by the authorities, the suspects ran over the Comelec checkpoint’s barrier in Brgy. Berinayan Laurel Batangas when the police told them to stop.

This prompted the Laurel Police to immediately alert the Agoncillo Police Station to block the suspects’ escape.

The policemen were able to corner the suspects at the boundary of Agoncillo and Laurel.

But instead of stopping, the suspects allegedly opened fire at the operatives, prompting policemen to fire back and eventually kill the suspects.

Authorities have recovered five firearms and ammunition from the suspects.

Although the suspects’identities are yet to be confirmed, they are believed to have been members of ‘Baklas Bubong”Robbery Holdup group in Batangas.

Police Agoncillo Batangas chief, PSInsp. Jason Aguilar said, prior to the encounter, they had a series of such incidents in the province.

No one from the authorities was reported injured in the incident. — Freema Salonga-Gloria (with reports from Sherwin Culubong)

Tags: , ,