Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

EXCLUSIVE: 349 cops test positive for illegal drug use – PNP

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, September 19th, 2018

(file photo)

MANILA,Philippines — Despite the government’s intensified war against drugs, cops who test positive for illegal drug use continue to rise.

The Philippine National Police Crime Laboratory said that 349 policemen have tested positive of using shabu based on the latest tally from January 2016 to September 2018.

PNP Crime Laboratory Director PCSupt. Rolando Hinanay said, drug use is more prevalent among Police Officers 1 (P01) with 146 offenders while the highest ranking cop on record is a police superintendent.

“Administratively they are charged with grave misconduct. Of course they will be given due process but ang grave misconduct kasi, ang maximum penalty niyan is dismissal from the service,” Hinanay said.

He added that the National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) has the highest number of personnel who use illegal drugs at 47, followed by Calabarzon area with 41 and Zamboanga peninsula with 37.

“ Tuloy- tuloy yung aming internal cleansing, random drug testing to find out kung sino-sino sa mga personnel namin ang gumagamit ng drugs,” Hanay said. “Totoo nakakabahala siya kaya nga ito yung actions na ginawa ng pamunuan ng PNP upang i-address yung problem na yun.”

Meanwhile, no PNP personnel tested positive of illegal drug use in the Cordillera Administrative Region. — Lea Ylagan

Tags: , ,

Duterte’s drug war to continue despite more than 5,000 death toll

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, December 19th, 2018

FILE PHOTO: President Rodrigo Duterte | TOTO LOZANO/PRESIDENTIAL PHOTO

MANILA, Philippines — The anti-drug war of the Duterte administration is set to continue despite having tallied more than 5,000 deaths of drug personalities in its operations.

The government has earlier reported that the death toll has reached 5,050 since the launch of the campaign on July 1, 2016 up to November 30 of this year.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said that the rise and fall of the death toll depends on the response of the involved personalities in illegal drugs operation.

“It depends on how those involved in drugs will respond to operations against them. If they become violent, necessarily, the result would be violent then. What you sow, you reap,” said Panelo. — UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,

PNP skips gun muzzle sealing anew this holiday season

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, December 19th, 2018

 

 

FILE PHOTO: PNP muzzle-taping for firearms

MANILA, Philippines —Like in the last two years, the Philippine National Police (PNP) will skip the gun-muzzle sealing activity for this holiday season.

According to PNP Director General Oscar Albayalde, this is to show that policemen are disciplined and can be trusted not to illegally discharge their service firearms during the holiday revelry.

“Medyo napapahiya tayo kapag nakakakita sila ng pulis na may masking tape sa dulo. Tinatawanan tayo kung minsan kung bakit kailangan nating i-masking tape ang baril when in fact, kung gusto mong iputok yun, pwede mo namang tanggalin yung masking tape,” said the PNP chief.

Albayalde said they are also eyeing to achieve zero case of indiscriminate firing involving policemen like last year.

The PNP chief warned that cops will be facing appropriate charges and may even be dismissed from service if they illegally discharge their service firearms during the celebration.

Their immediate superior will also be sanctioned.

“We have cautioned over and over again yung aming mga personnel not to indulge in indiscriminate firing otherwise that will means their immediate dismissal from the service,” said he said.

Albayalde, meanwhile, will leave the regional directors to decide on whether or not to require all their personnel to go on duty this holiday season.

However, the PNP chief assured he will still conduct random inspections to ensure that policemen are not neglecting their stations. — Lea Ylagan | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,

Police accused by Sagay massacre survivors of compelling to testify vs. NPA

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Wednesday, December 5th, 2018

 

Survivors of Sagay massacre

MANILA, Philippines — Covering themselves with a malong and wearing a face mask are mother and son who survived the Sagay massacre where 9 farmers, four women, and two minors were killed by armed men at Hacienda Nene, Purok Pine Tree, Brgy. Bulanon, Sagay City on October 20.

The mother who survived the massacre is accusing authorities of compelling her son, Lester, to testify against the New People’s Army (NPA) and prove that the group was behind the Sagay massacre.

Lester’s mom fears that police will use his son to pinpoint innocent individuals.

“Kahit military nagsasabi rin na, the child can pinpoint na NPA daw ang gumawa nung massacre,” said Atty. Kathy Panguban, legal counsel of the survivors.

“Kaya lumayo iyong mag-ina sa Negros at nag-seek talaga sila ng sanctuary dahil patuloy silang hinahabol ng mga pulis, pinipilit na gawing star witness sa Sagay massacre,” she said.

The Sagay Philippine National Police (PNP) chief and two of his personnel are facing violation of Republic Act 7610 or the Anti-Child Abuse Law, an allegation denied by the Sagay police.

“Wala kaming ginawang ganoon, ‘yung pinipilit. Wala kaming pinipilit na tao. ‘Yung allegation na iyan is actually fabricated iyan. Bakit naman namin pipilitin iyong bata? Tapos iyong bata po noong ininterview, pagsubscribe sa affidavit, nandoon iyong mismong prosecutor. Nandoon iyong ama at saka iyong DSWD na nagpasubscribe ng statement niya. Doon pa lang mismo malalaman na namin. May video kami niyan,” said Sagay City police chief PCI Robert Mansueto via phonepatch.

“Yung statement na NPA ang gumawa ng Sagay massacre, that came from the army infantry brigade,” said Panguban.

Lester’s biological father meantime is facing charges of violation of Republic Act 9262 or Violence Against Women and Children over the alleged abuse and harassment against his child and for forcing them to cooperate with the police.

“Nagpapatuloy iyong pananakot niya sa kliyente namin sa kanilang ina at pinipilit niyang makuha iyong anak; mabawi iyong anak at tinakot din niya na kakasuhan din daw niya pati iyong nanay ni Lester,” said Panguban.

As of now, the survivors are in a safe place.

The victims in the massacre were members of the National Federation of Sugar Workers (NSFW) who were participating in a campaign to occupy the idle lands which are not yet distributed to the beneficiaries. — Mai Bermudez | UNTV News & Rescue

Tags: , ,