4 alleged BIFF members surrender in Maguindanao — WestMinCom

Robie de Guzman   •   July 28, 2021   •   231

Four alleged members of the Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters (BIFF) have surrendered to authorities in Maguindanao, the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Western Mindanao Command (WestMinCom) said Wednesday.

In a statement, WestMinCom chief Lt. Gen. Corleto Vinluan Jr. said the relentless focused military operations in central Mindanao have led to the starvation of some terrorists and prompted them to surrender.

Vinluan said the four members of the BIFF-Bungos Faction submitted themselves to the troops of the 1st Mechanized Infantry Battalion (1Mech Bn) at about 11 a.m. on July 27.

“They handed over their firearm including one US cal. 50HB machine gun, one R4A3 Carbine with M203 grenade launcher, one cal. 30 Carbine, and one 7.62mm sniper rifle,” said 1Mech Bn Commander Lt. Col. Cresencio Sanchez, Jr.

Subject personalities were subsequently presented to Col. Pedro Balisi, Jr., Commander of 1st Mechanized Infantry Brigade (1Mech Bde), and Shariff Aguak Mayor Marop Ampatuan at the unit headquarters in Barangay Kamasi, Ampatuan, Maguindanao.

The four are currently undergoing custodial debriefing at the 1Mech Bde headquarters, the WestMinCom said.

Meanwhile, Maj. Gen. Juvymax Uy, commander of Joint Task Force Central urged the remaining BIFF members to yield and avail of the government’s reintegration programs.

“Now is the best time for you to surrender,” Uy said.

Since January 2021, the AFP said that the JTF Central neutralized a total of 145 BIFF personalities; 69 of which were killed, 74 surrendered, and two were apprehended.

“The offensives of the Joint Task Force Central will continue despite the mounting number of BIFF members who are now deciding to return to the folds of the law,” Vinluan said.

“Rest assured that all our operations adhere to the Human Rights and International Humanitarian Laws,” he added.

Positive COVID-19 antigen test results now included in case count – IATF

Robie de Guzman   •   September 24, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The number of individuals who tested positive for COVID-19 through rapid antigen tests will now be included in the Philippines’ case count, Malacañang said Friday.

In a televised briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) reached the decision during their meeting on Thursday in an aim to improve the reporting of COVID-19 cases.

“’Yan po ang ating objective para mas maging mabuti yung picture natin kung ilan ang total cases natin,” Roque said.

He, however, clarified that these tests will be subjected to confirmatory tests.

The use of antigen test is mostly effective for people who already manifested symptoms within the first five days of their onset as the viral load of the patient is at the highest during this time.

In line with this, the IATF directed the Department of Health NCR Center for Health Development to monitor and facilitate registration of facilities using rapid antigen kits.

They must also ensure that antigen line tests are collected and consolidated from health facilities, localities, as well as temporary treatment and monitoring facilities.

“Kaugnay nito, ang Department of Health NCR Center for Health Development ay inatasang mag-facilitate ng registration ng facilities na gumagamit ng rapid antigen kits,” he said.

“Augmentation of disease surveillance surveillance staff and encoders are considered to ensure that line lists are generated and submitted on a daily basis,” he added.

As of Sept. 23, the Philippines has 165,780 active COVID-19 cases based on DOH data.

COVID-19 vaccines administered in PH now at 43 million – Palace

Robie de Guzman   •   September 24, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippines has so far administered a total of 43,088,582 COVID-19 doses since the vaccination program was rolled out in March, Malacañang said Friday.

During a televised briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that 23,416,857 people in the country have received their first shot while 19,671,725  are already fully vaccinated.

Roque said this is 25.50 percent of the country’s target population to be vaccinated against COVID-19.

The Philippine government is looking to inoculate up to 90 percent of the country’s population to achieve protection against coronavirus infections.

Roque also reported that in the National Capital Region, a total of 15,175,704 doses have been administered.

The figure is 69.93 percent of the total vaccination target in the capital region.

Of these vaccine jabs, 8,339,430 were given as first dose while 6,836,274 were administered as second doses, he added.

More Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine doses arrive in Philippines

Robie de Guzman   •   September 24, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – More COVID-19 vaccines procured by the government from the US pharmaceutical firm Pfizer-BioNTech have been delivered to the Philippines, the National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19 said.

The NTF said that a total of 728,910 doses of Pfizer vaccines arrived in the country on Thursday night.

From this batch, 677,430 doses arrived at the NAIA Terminal 3 and were sent to the Pharmaserv cold storage facility in Marikina City, while 51,480 doses were first dropped off in Cebu.

The remaining 92,430 doses will be flown to Davao on Friday.

NTF chief implementer and vaccine czar Carlito Galvez Jr. said the country is expecting to receive the bulk of COVID-19 vaccines this October, particularly those coming from Pfizer.

“We would like to thank the US government for providing us access to Western vaccines, at the same time, providing us with more than 10 million fresh donations of Pfizer vaccines,” he said in a statement.

Brett Blackshaw, counselor for political affairs of the US State Department cited the strong cooperation between the Philippines and United States in the global fight against the pandemic.

“We are pleased to see this delivery of over half a million US-made vaccines to the Philippines. We are in this COVID fight together, the Philippine people, the American people – people around the world and every one of these vaccines as Pres. Biden said yesterday is a little dose of hope,” he said.

Nearly 11 million doses of procured and donated Pfizer vaccines doses have been delivered to the country.

Aside from the 10 million donated Pfizer shots, the NTF said that the Philippines is also set to receive additional doses from the 500 million doses pledged by the United States government to low-income countries.

“Yesterday, [President Joe] Biden already announced that they will be giving 500 million of Pfizer and we were informed that the Philippines will be part of the low-income and [middle] income countries that will be given the fresh donations of Pfizer vaccines.” Galvez said.

A total of 66,699,340 doses of COVID-19 vaccines from various manufacturers have been delivered to the country since February.

The Philippine government is looking to expand its target COVID-19 vaccination coverage to include 90% of the country’s population due to the highly transmissible Delta variant.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.