4 suspected Abu Sayyaf members killed in Parañaque raid

Robie de Guzman   •   June 26, 2020   •   1417

MANILA, Philippines – Four suspected members of terrorist Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) were killed in a raid launched by government security forces in Don Bosco, Parañaque City past Friday midnight.

The Philippine National Police (PNP) identified the suspects as Bensaudi Sali alias “Boy,” his wife Merhama Abdul Sawari alias “Mheng,” Rasin Hussin alias “Boscon,” and Jamal Kalliming alias “Pando.”

According to National Capital Region Police Office (NCRPO) regional director Major General Debold Sinas, the four suspects died during the raid jointly conducted by elements from the PNP and the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).

Sinas said the team tried to serve a search warrant at the house of the suspects in Better Living Subdivision at 12:26 a.m. when the suspects engaged law enforcers in a firefight.

The security forces retaliated which eventually led to the killing of the suspects.

The police and military said the operation stemmed from the information they received about the presence of members of Daulah Islamiyah, who were tagged as a financial conduit of Daesh-East Asia, in Parañaque City.

Daulah Islamiyah is a faction of the ASG that is affiliated with the Islamic State.

The search warrant against the suspects was issued by Judge Noemi Balitaan of the Parañaque City Regional Trial Court Branch 258 for violation of Republic Act 10591 or the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulation Act.

According to reports from the AFP and the PNP, the suspects’ profiles are as follows:

  • Sali was tagged as a member of ASG/Daulah Islamiyah in Sulu. He was a native of Jolo and had been working as a security guard in a residential condominium in Parañaque.
  • His wife, Sawari was tagged as ASG/Daulah Islamiyah-Sulu group’s finance and logislitics facilitator. She was said to be the recipient of money remittance from Indonesian ISEA facilitator Yoga Fabrianto who was arrested in Sabah on June 2019.
  • Hussin and Kalliming, who were also both working as security guards like Sali, were alleged cohorts of the two ASG members.

The military said that after the operation, authorities recovered from the site three blasting caps, different kinds of wire, two bottles of white and brownish granules (suspected explosives), two revolvers and two pistols with live ammunition, two black ISIS flags, two hand grenades, one M16 rifle, and one electric match.

The PNP said the encounter also resulted in the wounding of Police Corporal Ehrol Gamboa, who is now receiving treatment for the gunshot wounds he sustained on both legs.

PNP chief Police General Archie Gamboa said crime scene investigators are thoroughly sifting through the recovered evidence while a complete investigation has been ordered into the circumstances surrounding the presence of the alleged Abu Sayyaf members in Metro Manila. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)

PNP begins probe on death of ex-mayor Sabal

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 18, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippine National Police (PNP) has begun its investigation on the death of Montasser Sabal, former mayor of Talitay town in Maguindanao.

“This operation which resulted in a death of a suspect, the Internal Affairs Service through their motu propio investigation will be conducting an investigation so we provided directive or guidance to the IAS just like any other operation that resulted in the death of the suspect,” according to PNP Chief P.Gen. Guillermo Eleazar.

Sabal was killed on Thursday after allegedly grabbing the service firearm of a police escort during his transport to Camp Crame in Quezon City.

Authorities were escorting Sabal towards the National Capital Region Field Unit of the CIDG at Camp Crame when he grabbed his police escort’s firearm.

Police heavily wounded Sabal and he was rushed to San Juan Medical Center. He was declared dead Thursday morning.

To remove any suspicion, Eleazar directed the motu propio investigation. -AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)

Former Maguindanao mayor on ‘narcolist’ killed after grabbing police escort’s gun

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 17, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Former Talitay, Maguindanao mayor, Montasser Sabal, was killed during the operation of the Philippine National Police (PNP) on Thursday after allegedly grabbing the service firearm of a police escort during his transport to Camp Crame in Quezon City.

PNP Chief P.Gen. Guillermo Eleazar said Sabal is one of the high-value targets.

The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) arrested Sabal on Wednesday (June 16) at the Batangas Port in Batangas City.

The PNP said he was wanted for drug and illegal possession of firearms charges. Eleazar also said that Sabal is included in the ‘narcolist’.

“Isa siya sa kino-consider natin na high value target (We consider him a high-value target) considering he was a former police officer, recruited and trained by special action force on explosive ordnance disposal and sniper course,” he said.

During Sabal’s arrest, authorities recovered six high-caliber firearms, 400 grams of suspected illegal drugs, and P200,000 cash.

Authorities were escorting Sabal towards the National Capital Region Field Unit of the CIDG at Camp Crame when he grabbed his police escort’s firearm while onboard the vehicle which resulted in a scuffle.

Sabal was able to shoot the police officer beside him which prompted the accompanying police officer to use reasonable force.

“Sabal tried to escape by grabbing the firearm of his police escort the scuffle between the suspect and the police escort resulted in the latter to hit and fatally wounded Sabal, the suspect was rushed at San Juan Medical Center but declared dead at around 6:13 in the morning,” Eleazar said.

The PNP Chief also added that the confiscated firearms from Sabal might probably be used during the 2022 national elections.

“Another possible attempt by a partisan armed group to beef up armaments as they prepared for the coming 2022 election,” according to Eleazar.

Sabal was charged by the Office of the Ombudsman and eventually suspended for failure to disclose his properties and business interests in his SALN from 2011 to 2015.

Meanwhile, Sabal’s cohorts will undergo an investigation to determine appropriate cases to be filed against them.

PNP nabs alleged big-time gun runner in Cavite

Robie de Guzman   •   June 17, 2021

 MANILA, PHILIPPINES — Police authorities have arrested an individual allegedly involved in the illegal sale of firearms online, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said.

PNP chief Guillermo Eleazar identified the alleged gun runner as John Christian Bautista, 33, and a resident of Barangay Bucandala IV, Imus, Cavite

Eleazar said Bautista was arrested after the Northern Police District (NPD) Special Operations Unit received information about a transaction for the sale of loose firearms in a Facebook chat group.

Upon validation of the information, police operatives then arranged a meeting with the seller for the purchase of guns at the Metropolitan Petron Gas Station along Macapagal Avenue, Pasay City at around 11:00 AM of June 15, 2021.

The entrapment operation resulted in the arrest of Bautista and the confiscation of the following firearms:

  • Thompson submachine gun cal .45 M1 SN 175291 with one magazine
  • MGV 176 Cal .22 LR SN 3037
  • STI 9mm with SN# KF 11205
  • Cobra Special Cal .38-no serial no.
  • Cal .40 Smith and Wesson with SN NEH 8367
  • Cal .45 COLT 38720

Follow-up operations by the NPD at the suspect’s residence resulted in the voluntary surrender of Bautista’s wife and the confiscation of more loose firearms:

  • Assault Riffle FMK F/A (Tactical) Infant
  • One Shotgun Mossberg T 851464
  • One AK SN-A 502975
  • One MA Carbine Cal. 5.56 MM SN 123561
  • One US Carbine Defaced SN
  • One .22 TCM SN TR008777
  • One Sniper Riffle SN Defaced
  • One Performance STR SW-SN Defaced
  • One Taurus SN NDX 91540
  • Assorted Box of Ammunition; Assorted Ammunition; Assorted Magazine

Eleazar said Bautista’s arrest would “reduce the proliferation of loose firearms and incidents of gun-related violence in Metro Manila, Calabarzon, and nearby provinces.”

He also commended the efforts of local police and the public’s help in the operation.

“Malaking bagay ang tulong ng publiko upang mapanatili ng ating mga kapulisan ang kaayusan sa ating mga komunidad,” Eleazar said.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.