After raping victim, robber gets killed in police encounter

admin   •   August 21, 2018   •   4958

The arrest of a suspect known only as alias Jepoy,turned fatal after he engaged police in a gunfight at Phase 3, Bagong Silang, Caloocan City, Monday night.

Caloocan City Police said a man and a woman reported a robbery and rape along a dark alley at 10:00 p.m. on Monday.

They said the robber pointed a gun at them and demanded their wallets and cellphones.

“Nakuha po yung cellphone namin tapos yung pera na nagkakahalaga na P600 (he took our cellphones and cash worth P600),” said the male victim.

Not done with them yet, the robber proceeded to rape the 20-year-old female victim.

“Ngayon lang po natin ito naencounter hinoldap na po yung ating kababayan pinagsamantalahan pa po sa harap ng kanyang kaibigan (This is the first time we’ve encountered a robbery where the holdupper even raped the victim in front of her friend),” PCP3 commander PCI Raymund Nicholas said.

The male victim said he couldn’t help his friend because he was also under threat.

“Hindi ko po siya natulungan kasi tinutukan din ako ng baril kaya hindi ko siya natulungan (I couldn’t help her because a gun was also pointed at me) ,” he said,

Authorities promptly carried out a follow-up operation and found a man who matched the description of the suspect.

When police was about to make the arrest, an encounter ensued.

“Nung nirespondehan ng mga pulis nung inabutan ang suspek eh bumunot ng baril at lumaban sa kapulisan (When police responded, the suspect pulled out a gun and exchanged fire with the police),” said Nicholas.

“May mga biktima po tayo na nag identify sa kanya, (We have victims who identified him) he added.

A .38 caliber revolver was recovered from the suspect. — Reynante Ponte

QC records 66% increase in violence against women and children

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 27, 2021

The Quezon City Police District (QCPD) reported a 66.67% increase in violence against women and children (VAWC) cases and a 21.54% increase in rape cases.

QCPD Director BGen. Antonio Yarra reported an increase in VAWC and rape cases in the first eight months of the year compared to the same period last year.

He also noted that the pandemic played a significant role in the upward trend, as most families are at home.

This was compounded by the financial difficulties experienced by many families, resulting in domestic conflict.

Most of the recorded cases were of physical abuse, with psychological abuse a distant second.

“We have launched a campaign to make women aware of their rights and make them advocates so they will be encouraged to report abuses,” he said.

QC Mayor Joy Belmonte expressed concern on the issue and rallied victims or their relatives and friends to report such abuses through the QC Protection Center Hotline 122, or to the barangay and QCPD women’s desk.

She also directed concerned local authorities to closely monitor and act swiftly on calls and reports pertaining to VAWC and other gender-based incidents.

“We cannot let any QCitizen suffer from gender-based violence in Quezon City especially during the pandemic,” she said.

Belmonte reported that the Quezon City government together with the QCPD are set to launch a unified information management system to facilitate the monitoring and hasten the investigation of VAWC cases. –AAC

Caloocan Mayor Oscar Malapitan tests positive for COVID-19

Marje Pelayo   •   August 25, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Mayor Oscar “Oca” Malapitan of Caloocan City has tested positive for COVID-19.

In a statement issued on Wednesday (August 25), Malapitan said he is in good condition and is currently under treatment.

“Ako ay nasa maayos na kalagayan at kasalukuyang nagpapagaling (I am in stable condition and currently  recuperating),” he said, though he did not state whether he is at home or confined in a COVID facility.

Malapitan vowed to perform his duties as local chief executive while in isolation, especially in monitoring th e city’s COVID-19 response.

“Patuloy na gagampanan ng Pamahalaang Lungsod ng Caloocan ang kanyang tungkulin at mandato upang tugunan ang mga pangangailangan ng ating mga kababayan,” he said.

(The city government of Caloocan will continue to deliver its duties and mandate to address the needs of its constituents.)

“Umasa po kayo na ang inyong lingkod ay patuloy na nakaantabay sa mga nagaganap at pangyayari sa ating lungsod habang patuloy ang aking komunikasyon sa mga iba’t ibang sangay ng ating pamahalaan,” he added.

(Rest assured that I will continue to monitor events in the city while keeping the lines of communication  with other government agencies open.)

The Mayor also called on all individuals who recently had close contacts with him to immediately go on self-quarantine and take a swab test at local health departments or barangay health centers.

“Hinihikayat ko ang aking mga close contact nitong mga nakaraang araw na kaagad magself-quarantine at sumailalim sa swab test. Mayroon tayong regular na libreng RT-PCR test para sa ating mga mamamayan,” he urged.

(I am asking those I had close contact with in the past few days, to immediately undergo self-quarantine and take a swab test. We have free RT-PCR test for our constituents.)

For those concerned, they may also call on the local government’s COVID hotline numbers 09668274519 or 09478834430.

“Umasa po tayo na malalampasan natin ang pandemyang nagdulot nang matinding kahirapan at sakripisyo sa ating bayan sa pamamagitan ng ating pananampalataya at pagdasal sa Poong Maykapal,” Mayor Malapitan said.

(Let us hope to get past through this pandemic, that has imposed hardship and sacrifice on our country, by keeping our faith in God.)

DILG says only 108 of 496 Gubat sa Ciudad guests traced so far

Marje Pelayo   •   May 13, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) has begun the contact tracing of guests who trooped to Gubat sa Ciudad resort in Caloocan City on Sunday (May 9).

“I must admit na napakahirap po talaga nitong pagko-contact trace dahil sa kapabayaan ng resort na ito,” DILG Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said.

This is because some of the guests did not provide complete contact information.

“Doon po sa 496 na ‘yun, 232 po ang may cellphone number ngunit hindi po ma-contact ang lahat ng number na ito,” he added.

Out of the  496 guests in the resort’s logbook, only 108 have been contacted so far.

Of the said number, only 72 have undergone rapid antigen tests for possible COVID-19 infection — so far, no one has tested positive, the official said.

Among the guests initially accounted for, 180 are residents of Caloocan; 11 are from Bulacan; three are from Malabon; five from Manila; 26 from Quezon City; and seven from Valenzuela.

Malaya is calling on other resort guests to coordinate with them to be scheduled for swab testing to ensure that they are Covid-free.

“Ang ginagawa po nating contact tracing ay para din sa inyong kapakanan. Gusto lang po naming ma-contact trace kayo at ma-test ang mga may sintomas,” he said.

Malaya added that the DILG has already filed a complaint against the resort’s president, Rodolfo de Guzman Jr.;  Aleli Mansano de Guzman, the general manager; as well as against eight others who are part of the resort’s management.

They are now facing charges for violation of RA 11332 and the city ordinance 0863 series of 2021 of the City of Caloocan.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.