Albay, Sorsogon to declare state of calamity due to Typhoon Tisoy

Marje Pelayo   •   December 3, 2019   •   2189

Villagers ride a truck as they are evacuated in anticipation of an approaching typhoon in Legaspi city, Albay province, Philippines, 02 December 2019. EPA-EFE/ZALRIAN SAYAT

BICOL Region, Philippines – The provincial governments of Sorsogon and Albay are preparing to declare a state of calamity on Tuesday (December 3) due to the impact of Typhoon Tisoy.

Sorsogon Governor Chiz Escudero said the typhoon has already caused P667 million worth of damage to agriculture and fisheries in the province.

The provincial government is still assessing the extent of damage to infrastructure.

The provincial board is set to convene at 1:00 PM today to discuss appropriate actions upon official declaration.

Meanwhile, APSEMO Department Head Cedric Daep said the province is also set to announce a state of calamity as initial assessment revealed huge damages in the province.

 “Pinakamalaking damage natin ay ang sa airport. May mga government buildings din na na-damage,” Daep said.

So far, Daep said, there are no reports yet of casualties from the typhoon.

The official also confirmed that Albay Governor Al Francis Bichara has already signed the recommendation to declare the province under state of calamity “as soon as possible.” – MNP (with details from Roderic Mendoza, Joan Nano)

‘Bising’ slightly weakens as it moves slowly over PH sea

UNTV News   •   April 19, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Typhoon “Bising” has slightly weakened and is now moving slowly over the Philippine Sea east of Catanduanes, the state weather bureau PAGASA said on Sunday, April 18, 2021.

At 10:00 p.m. Sunday, the center of the eye of Typhoon “Bising” was located at 270 km east of Virac, Catanduanes packing maximum sustained winds of 195 km/h near the center and gustiness of up to 240 km/h.

“The recent weakening of ‘Bising’ after reaching its peak intensity was caused by a recently completed eyewall replacement cycle. The typhoon is forecast to maintain its current intensity in the next 24 to 48 hours before gradually weakening throughout the remainder of the forecast period,” PAGASA said.

“Bising” will bring moderate to heavy, with at times intense, rains on Monday (April 19) over Bicol Region, Northern Samar, Samar, Eastern Samar, Biliran, and Leyte.

Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal no. 2 is hoisted over the following areas:

  • LUZON:

Catanduanes, the eastern portion of Camarines Sur (Garchitorena, Presentacion, Caramoan, Sagnay, San Jose, Lagonoy), the eastern portion of Albay (Tiwi, Malinao, Tabaco City, Malilipot, Santo Domingo, Bacacay, Rapu-Rapu, Legazpi City, Manito), and the eastern and central portions of Sorsogon (Castilla, Sorsogon City, Prieto Diaz, Gubat, Barcelona, Casiguran, Juban, Magallanes, Bulan, Bulusan, Irosin, Santa Magdalena, Matnog)

  • VISAYAS:

Northern Samar, Samar, Eastern Samar, and Biliran

Tropical Cyclone Wind Signal no. 1 is hoisted over the following areas:

  • LUZON:

The eastern portion of Camarines Norte (San Lorenzo Ruiz, San Vicente, Vinzons, Talisay, Daet, Mercedes, Basud), the rest of Camarines Sur, the rest of Albay, the rest of Sorsogon, and Masbate including Burias and Ticao Islands

  • VISAYAS:

Leyte, Southern Leyte, and the northern portion of Cebu (Tabogon, Borbon, San Remigio, Bogo City, Medellin, Daanbantayan) including Bantayan and Camotes Islands

  • MINDANAO:

Dinagat Islands, Siargao Islands, and Bucas Grande Islands

Typhoon Bising is forecast to continue moving slowly in the next 6 to12 hours as it begins to turn generally northward over the Philippine Sea east of Catanduanes.

Afterwards, the typhoon will continue moving northward while gradually accelerating until Wednesday evening before turning northeastward and east northeastward away from the landmass of Luzon.

 

 

DA, irerekomenda ang pagdedeklara ng state of calamity dahil sa ASF

Robie de Guzman   •   March 12, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Ipapasa na ngayong linggo ng Department of Agriculture (DA) ang rekomendasyon nito para sa pagdedeklara ng state of calamity sa bansa dahil sa epekto ng African Swine Fever (ASF).

Ayon kay Agriculture Secretary William Dar, isinasapinal na nila ang rekomendasyon na isusumite nila kay Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte.

Aniya, ang rekomendasyon ay batay na rin sa panukala ng Senado na magdeklara ng state of calamity upang matulungan ang stakeholders ng hog industry sa bansa na lubhang naapektuhan ng ASF outbreak.

“We are finalizing our recommendation base doon sa rekomendasyong galing po sa Senado. So, anytime this week we will be sending our position and recommendation to the Palace,” ang pahayag ni Dar.

Tiniyak naman ng Malakanyang na bukas ang administrasyon sa lahat ng rekomendasyon ng mga mambabatas pero sa ngayon ay wala pang desisyon si Pangulong Duterte ukol sa panukalang pagdedeklara ng state of calamity kaugnay ng epekto ng ASF.

Iginiit din Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque na may mga ipinatupad nang mga hakbang ang DA para tugunan ang problema sa supply ng baboy.

“Sa ngayon po ang solusyon nga is repopulation at naglaan naman po tayo ng sapat na halaga dyan at bukod pa sa repopulation, yung pag-aangkat po ng bakuna at syempre yung pag aangkat po ng baboy sa iba’t-ibang parte ng Pilipinas at soon po sa ibat ibang parte ng daigdig,” ani Roque.

“But points were taken, we welcome the suggestion it will be considered and it has not been decided upon by the President,” dagdag pa niya.

Una nang naglaan ang pamahalaan ng P2.6 bilyong pondo para sa control and containment ng ASF at repopulation ng mga baboy sa hog farms sa bansa.

Nasa P1.5 bilyon ang nakalaan para sa repopulation project, P500 milyon para sa loan program ng backyard hog raisers, P400 milyon sa pagpapatayo ng breeder farms, P200 milyon sa repopulation sa ASF-affected areas, habang P1.5 bilyon naman ang inilaan para sa Bantay-ASF control and containment program.

Tiniyak din ng DA na nakapag-secure na ito ng P27 bilyong pondo sa bangko, bukod pa sa popondohan nitong 22% insurance para sa commercial hog raisers.

“We have secured from Land Bank P15 billion, P12 billion from DBP, so total of P27 illion as loan program to reinvigorate the hog industry at concessional rate. Mababa yung interest rates not like the commercial rates that we had before, so these are the initial support that government will do… Of course kung tatanungin mo is this enough? of course this is not enough,” ang pahayag ni Dar.

Batay sa monitoring ng DA kaugnay ng ASF-positive incidence sa mga barangay, mula 1,773 cases noong Agosto 2020 ay bumaba ito sa 358 cases noong Enero 2021 at tuluyan pang bumagsak sa 62 incidents ngayong buwan ng Marso. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Marvin Calas)

DENR finds violations in 14 quarry operations in Albay

Marje Pelayo   •   November 23, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) has found violations in 14 quarry operations in the province of Albay. 

This prompted the Department to suspend the operations of the said quarry sites located at the foot of Mount Mayon.

Among the notable violations is operating beyond the authorized area, according to DENR Undersecretary Jonas Leones.

“Ang paglabag na nakita namin doon ay iyong nag-exceed doon sa kanilang allowable area at iyong mga iba naman mga expired permits (We found some violations such as exceeding beyond the allowable area while some still operate despite expired permit),” Leones said.

The official noted that the companies operating the quarry sites may face administrative cases and a fine of P50,000 per violation.

It is also possible that they may be permanently closed if proven to have a history of successive violations. 

Leones said these quarrying operations could have contributed to the damaging lahar flow in San Francisco, Guinobatan in Albay during the onslaught of Super Typhoon Rolly.

Hundreds of houses and properties were seen covered with lahar after the typhoon.

Leones stressed that affected residents may sue the companies for compensation for the damage they have caused. 

Around 100 quarry operations are now under investigation by the DENR and those that have been cleared of violations will be allowed to resume operation, Leones said.

Meanwhile, the Triple B — Build, Back, Better— Task Force formed by President Rodrigo Duterte is currently conducting post-typhoon assessment in areas damaged by the recent calamities.

The task force formed through Executive Order 120 is composed of different agencies led by Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu.

Leones said the task force will meet on Friday (November 27) to discuss recommendations on how to rehabilitate the typhoon-ravaged areas specifically Cagayan, Isabela, Bicol and Marikina. MNP (with reports from Rey Pelayo)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.