Albayalde, Panelo say hazing should be considered a heinous crime
Robie de Guzman • September 23, 2019 • 928
MANILA, Philippines – Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Gen. Oscar Albayalde on Monday said that hazing should be considered a heinous crime and should never be tolerated.
Albayalde made the statement following the death of fourth-class cadet Darwin Dormitorio at the Philippine Military Academy (PMA) due to hazing last Sept. 18.
“Hazing is a heinous crime,” Albayalde told reporters in a press briefing at Camp Crame in Quezon City.
The PNP chief added that hazing is a planned activity usually conducted as a rite of passage to a certain group.
“Hazing is basically plain and simple murder,” he said.
Albayalde also admitted during the press briefing that he himself was subjected to hazing when he was also a PMA cadet. Albayalde is a member of the PMA Sinagtala Class of 1986.
However, the PNP chief stressed that hazing should never be tolerated and is punishable under the Republic Act No. 11053 or the Anti-Hazing law.
“Hazing was never tolerated especially now that we have hazing laws,” he said.
Albayalde’s remarks follow the statement of Cagayan de Oro District Representative Rufus Rodriguez that there is a possibility that hazing will be included in the list of heinous crimes to prevent further incidents.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo agreed with the proposal, saying this will stop the culture of hazing.
“I’m suggesting that there must be a law that will make the heads like the PMA accountable criminally, tigil yan, alam mo pag ginawa mong criminally subject sila sa prosecution, I don’t think magkakaroon pa ng hazing kahit sa mga fraternity,” he said.
The issue of hazing in some organizations had been put under spotlight again following the death of Dormitorio.
Authorities have identified three suspects in the crime, two were considered persons of interest while nine others were named witnesses.
The Philippine Military Police and the PNP-Baguio have assured to file appropriate charges against the suspects when their investigation is concluded. – RRD (with details from Correspondent April Cenedoza)
A court in Baguio City has ordered the arrest of three Philippine Military Academy (PMA) cadets indicted for the death of Cadet 4th Class Darwin Dormitorio.
The Regional Trial Court Branch 5 of Baguio City issued arrest warrants against 3rd Class Cadets Shalimar Imperial Jr. and Feliz Lumbag Jr., and Cadet Julius Carlo Tadena for murder charges over Dormitorio’s death allegedly due to hazing.
The warrant of arrest issued by Presiding Judge Maria Ligaya Itliong-Rivera stated that no bail was recommended for the cadets.
The local court also released warrants of arrest against the three officials from the PMA Station Hospital, namely, Lieutenant Colonel Ceasar Candelaria, Captain Flor Apple Apostol, and Major Maria Ofelia Beloy who have also been charged for murder.
The warrant of arrest states that the PMA officers may post bail at P200,000 each.
Dormitorio died inside a PMA barracks in September last year after suffering alleged hazing-related injuries. It was learned that prior to his death, he was hospitalized twice after suffering injuries supposedly caused by his fellow cadets. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Grace Doctolero)
ALBAY, Philippines — The Tau Gamma Phi fraternity through its governor-general Erwin Bola on Tuesday (February 18) issued an order to suspend all recruitment activities including final initiation rites following the death of a neophyte in Bulan, Sorsogon.
The victim has been identified as 23-year-old Omer Despabiladeras, a criminology student from Solis Institute of Technology who died during the initiation of the group’s Bulan chapter on February 16.
“In connection with this alarming incident, I am mandating all concerned brothers and sisters to stop all forms of initiation/final rites of Tau Gamma Phi under Albay Provincial Council effective today, February 18, 2020,” Bola said.
An investigation is underway to determine who are responsible for the death of Despabiladeras.
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte can terminate the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) between the Philippines and the United States (US) even without the concurrence of the Senate, Malacañang said on Friday.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo issued the statement after the president threatened to scrap the VFA if the US government does not reverse the cancellation of Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa’s visa.
“Because it (VFA) is an executive agreement so he can cancel it without the approval of the Senate,” Panelo said.
Dela Rosa on Wednesday confirmed to media that he is not allowed to travel to the US for now after he received notification about his visa cancellation.
The senator said the exact reason on why his US visa was cancelled remains unclear but he heard reports it might be linked to the Duterte administration’s war on drugs that he spearheaded when he was the chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP) from 2016 to 2018.
The VFA, signed by Manila and Washington in 1998, is a bilateral deal which outlines the guidelines for the conduct of government troops when they are visiting the US or the Philippines.
Panelo said the US government should not intervene with the Philippines’ internal issues.
The Palace official also believes the president’s threat to cancel the VFA will not affect Filipino workers in the US. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.