ASG leader and 3 others killed in AFP, PNP joint operation in Bohol

admin   •   April 24, 2017   •   5669

Courtesy: Benjie Talisic

Courtesy: Benjie Talisic

BOHOL, Philippines The joint forces of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Philippine National Police (PNP) have launched operations anew against the Abu Sayyaf group (ASG).

Based on a joint statement released by the AFP Central Command and the Police Regional Office 7, an ASG leader in Bohol, Joselito Melloria, alias “Abu Alih” was killed in an operation in Sitio Lagsing, Barangay Bacani, Clardin, Bohol.

Melloria allegedly led the ASG members who were able to escape after an encounter with government troops in Inabanga, Bohol last week.

Aside from the ASG sub leader, three other lawless elements, who are still unidentified by authorities, were killed.

Three high-powered firearms were found at the encounter site.

President Rodrigo Duterte is determined to hunt down the remaining members of the Abu Sayyaf Group in Bohol.

In his speech during the opening ceremonies at the Palarong Pambansa 2017 in San Jose de Buenavista, the President made the statement on his planned implementation of martial law.

“I told the military, ‘Huwag kayong matulog. Hanapin ninyo at patayin ninyo ‘yan. I want them dead. Huwag mong ibigay sa akin ‘yang nang buhay.’  Iyong mga terrorism na they cut other people’s throat, slit it and just to decapitate, they are really animals. But if you want me to be an animal, eh sanay rin ako diyan. Pareho lang tayo. I can dish out, go down what you can 50 times over. Kainin pa kita sa harap ko, bigyan mo lang ako ng suka pati asin, I’ll eat you.  Pagalitin mo ako.  Do not… Wala… No quarters given, no quarters asked for these people,” he said.

(I told the military, ‘Do not sleep. Hunt them down. I want them dead. Do not give them to me alive. Terrorists cut other people’s throat, slit it and just to decapitate. They are really animals. But if you want me to be an animal, I can also do that. I can dish out. Go down what you can 50 times over. I can even eat you. Just give me vinegar, fish sauce and salt, I’ll eat you. Infuriate me. Do not… no quarters given, no quarters asked for these people.)

READ: 9 dead in joint military ops vs suspected Abu Sayyaf in Bohol

President Duterte warned lawless elements who spark violence in Mindanao.  He said if terrorist groups do not end their activities, the government will be forced to lock down Mindanao.

‘I said, ‘Do not force me to do it because it will be a very sad day for all of us.’ Hindi lang ‘yan terrorist ang tapusin ko, lahat na pati ugali namin kasali na ako. Magbago talaga ‘yan. No more arrogance and… tatapusin ko lahat. Kaya huwag ninyo akong pilitin kasi magbago talaga ang Mindanao. So I will lockdown Mindanao and tatapusin ko ‘yung mga problema pati tao,” he said.

(I said, ‘Do not force me to do it because it will be a very sad day for us. I will finish not just the terrorists, but all attitudes including myself. They will change. No more arrogance. I will put an end to all these. So do not force me, because Mindanao will really change. So I will lock down Mindanao, and put an end to the problems and even persons.)  —  Gladys Toabi | UNTV News & Rescue

Enrile advises Duterte to ignore critics of foreign policy; keep friendly approach on West PH Sea issue

Robie de Guzman   •   May 18, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Former Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile advised President Rodrigo Duterte not to mind people who are criticizing his foreign policy, particularly on the issue involving China and the disputed areas in the West Philippine Sea.

During Duterte’s pre-recorded public address late Monday, Enrile told the president to just let his critics ramble on and to not engage them on the issue.

“That’s the best thing Mr. President. Pabayaan mo na lang sila,” Enrile said.

“After all Mr. President, you are only responsible to the Filipino people, and you are not responsible to any specific person for your foreign policy. Yours is to protect the interest of the nation and its people in the best way you can,” he added.

Duterte invited Enrile to Malacañang to speak on the issue concerning West Philippine Sea, the role in the issue of some officials, particularly former Senator Antonio Trillanes and former Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario, and why the Philippines lost access to the Scarborough Shoal during the Aquino administration.

“Alam na ngayon ng mga tao kug bakit hindi ako sumasagot. This is the best advise that I got ngayong gabing ito,” Duterte said.

“I hope that we would be able to weather any trouble with China now and in the future for as long as it’s very dangerous for us,” he added.

Earlier in the conference, the 97-year old former lawmaker also advised Duterte to keep his “friendly” approach towards China and the issue on the West Philippine Sea.

“Hindi dapat gamitin ang mainit na kaisipan na kagaya ng mga kritiko natin. Dapat balance lang ang approach natin at mahinahon,” he said.

“Kailangan na friendly ang approach natin diyan, hindi assertive and aggressive approach sapagkat kapag hindi tayo magkakaunawa sa China ay madadamay ang interes ng ating mga kababayan, ang ating ekonomiya, pati na rin ang ating seguridad dito sa usapin na ito,” he added.

Duterte thanked Enrile for his advise, reiterating that he prefers to talk with China instead of using force to defend the Philippine sovereignty.

PNP launches system to address public complaints

Robie de Guzman   •   May 17, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP), on Monday, launched an enhanced complaint referral and monitoring system that aims to quickly address citizens’ complaints and concerns.

During the formal launching of the program at Camp Crame, PNP chief General Guillermo Eleazar said complaints received in the system will be considered urgent and will immediately be acted upon.

“Dito sa ating improved complaint referral system, bawat matatanggap na reklamo o hinaing ay ituturing na urgent. Dapat laging isaisip ng mga pulis na time is of the essence tuwing makatatanggap ng tawag o text mula sa ating mga kababayan,” Eleazar said.

“Once they received these concerns, they should immediately act and resolve the complaints. Kung dati may mga reklamong hindi napapansin, ngayon eh hindi na puwede iyon,” he added.

The public may file reports, complaints, or concerns that need immediate action with the PNP through its official hotlines at 0917 847 5757 (Globe) / 0919 160 1752 (Smart), email at e-sumbong@pnp.gov.ph, and social media accounts.

Through the enhanced complaint referral and monitoring system, Eleazar hopes to regain the community’s trust and confidence in the PNP by showing that its personnel can be fully depended on to serve and protect.

“Layunin nito na patatagin ang ugnayan ng publiko sa ating kapulisan. Kung makikita ng ating mga kababayan na kaagad nabibigyang-pansin at naaaksyunan ang kanilang mga reklamo, nasisiguro kong maibabalik ang kanilang kumpiyansa sa buong PNP,” he said.

“Kung mabilis ang pagresolba sa mga reklamo o kaso, natitiyak ko rin na mas magiging mapayapa at maayos ang ating mga komunidad,” he added.

The project is one of Eleazar’s priority programs when he assumed the post of Chief PNP last May 7.

PNP chief Eleazar reminds police units to closely watch reopening of some tourist sites

Robie de Guzman   •   May 17, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Philippine National Police (PNP) chief General Guillermo Eleazar on Monday directed all police units to closely monitor the reopening of some tourist sites and other leisure spots in Metro Manila and the provinces of Cavite, Bulacan, Rizal, and Laguna.

The said areas have been placed under general community quarantine (GCQ) with heightened restrictions from May 15 to 31.

Eleazar noted that over the weekend, some people have started visiting outdoor tourist attractions in GCQ areas, which were allowed to operate at 30 percent capacity.

Some areas in Intramuros, Manila, such as the Fort Santiago and the Baluarte de San Diego, have also opened their doors to visitors on Monday.

While Eleazar understands the excitement of most Filipinos over being able to finally go outdoors for leisure, he stressed the need to still take the necessary precautions against COVID-19 to prevent transmission.

“Inaasahan na namin ang pagdami ng mga taong magsisilabasan dahil nga nagkaroon ng adjustments sa allowed capacity rates ng ating business establishments at leisure areas. Ito ay amin nang napaghandaan at mahigpit na babantayan,” he said in a statement.

“Bagamat naiintindihan po namin na sabik na lumabas ng kani-kanilang mga bahay ang ating mga kababayan, gusto lang po naming magbigay ng paalala na posibleng mas tumagal pa tayo sa ganitong sitwasyon kung tayo ay lalabag sa IATF guidelines at hindi susunod sa minimum health safety protocols,” he added.

The PNP chief reminded police units to be on the lookout for violations of minimum public health safety protocols and to coordinate closely with local government units in securing tourist attractions and leisure spots.

He also urged the public to limit their movement to essential travels.

“We ask our kababayan within the NCR Plus to restrict their travel within the Bubble. At para naman doon sa mga nasa labas ng Bubble, huwag na po nating pilitin na pumasok pa unless essential travel po ang inyong lakad,” he said.

“Kung hindi po talaga natin maiiwasan ang paglabas, remember to always wear your face masks and face shields and observe physical distancing.”

He also reminded the management of businesses allowed to operate, including tourist spots and leisure areas, to strictly abide by the IATF guidelines on capacity rates and impose minimum health safety protocols on their patrons.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.