Backyard piggeries, poultry farms now banned in Quezon City

Robie de Guzman   •   October 19, 2021   •   276

The Quezon City government on Tuesday announced that pig and poultry raising will now be prohibited in the city.

In a statement, the city government said the policy is contained under City Ordinance 2990-2020, which was passed in a bid to protect residents from various public health issues.

The ordinance, authored by Councilors Franz Pumaren, Diorella Maria Sotto-Antonio, and Eric Medina, stated that no piggery or poultry farm for the purposes of food or meat production should be allowed within the territorial jurisdiction of the city.

City Veterinary Department head Dr. Ana Marie Cabel said that aside from operating in an urban area, backyard piggeries also violate various environmental and sanitation guidelines.

Backyard poultry and piggeries also tend to pollute tributaries because such businesses often allow waste to flow into riverways, she added.

The Quezon City Zoning Ordinance also prohibits piggeries and poultries as the city doesn’t have any agricultural or rural zones that allow pig or poultry raising.

The city government noted that 14 out of 17 barangays that previously had backyard farms and piggeries have phased these out, citing data from City Veterinary Department.

“As of today, there are only three barangays (Payatas, Sta. Lucia and Old Balara) with 26 piggeries. They vowed to close these down by November 2021,” Mayor Joy Belmonte said in the same statement.

“Bago sila magsara, sisiguraduhin natin na mababawi nila ‘yung dapat nilang kita at bibigyan sila ng alternative na pangkabuhayan para magkaroon sila ng iba pang source of income para sa kanilang pamilya,” she added.

The city government assured to provide livelihood options for poultry and hog raisers who will be affected by the local policy through its Small Business Cooperatives Development and Promotions Office.

Bongbong Marcos camp says sorry for heavy traffic during caravan in QC

Robie de Guzman   •   December 8, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The camp of presidential hopeful Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. has apologized to the public over the heavy traffic brought by the caravan they held in Quezon City on Wednesday morning.

In a statement, Marcos’ chief of staff and spokesperson Attorney Victor Rodriguez said the organizers of the caravan did not expect the large number of people joining the event.

“Humihingi na rin ng paumanhin at pang-unawa ang BBM-Sara UniTeam sa mga motorista, byahero, pamahalaang lungsod at maging sa MMDA kung ang nasabing Unity Caravan ay nagdulot ng pagsikip sa daloy ng trapiko,” he said.

Marcos and his running mate, Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte kicked off their caravan along the Commonwealth Avenue along with their supporters riding motorcycles and other vehicles.

The Quezon City government earlier advised motorists along Commonwealth Avenue, Elliptical Road, and Quezon Avenue to take alternate routes to avoid heavy traffic due to the political caravan.

Meanwhile, the camp of Marcos expressed gratitude to the city government for its assistance during the caravan, despite difference in political beliefs.

“Nagpapasalamat ang BBM-Sara Uniteam sa mga tulong na inihanda ng pamahalaang lungsod sa pamumuno ni Mayor Joy Belmonte para sa okasyon na ginanap ngayong araw (Disyembre 8),” Rodriguez said.

“At nagpupugay ang tambalang Bongbong Marcos at Sara Duterte sa pakikiisa ng lahat na taga-lungsod Quezon, maging anoman ang kanilang paniniwalang pulitikal, sa nasabing pagtitipon,” he added.

The caravan was spearheaded by Anakalusugan party-list Representative Mike Defensor, who is running for Quezon City mayor, along with his running mate Councilor Winnie Castelo, House Majority Leader Martin Romualdez and other city officials.

Cop nabbed over alleged robbery-extortion – PNP

Robie de Guzman   •   October 27, 2021

 

MANILA, Philippines — A policeman assigned in Quezon City has been arrested for allegedly engaging in robbery-extortion activities, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Wednesday.

In a statement, the PNP identified the cop as Police Corporal Myrldon Linga Yagi, who was assigned at Station 14, Holy Spirit, Quezon City Police District.

He was arrested during an entrapment operation launched by the PNP Integrity Monitoring and Enforcement Group (IMEG).

The PNP said the police officer was caught receiving the marked money worth P2,000 as the supposed payment of a complainant.

The complainant gave the money to Yagi so his fruit stand will not be dismantled and to get back his mobile phone that the policeman allegedly took by force, it added.

According to the IMEG, the complainant reported to them that he was mauled, gun-poked and threatened by Yagi.

Authorities were able to seize the marked money, one unit of Taurus 9mm pistol with serial number TZE 30683; two pieces of magazine with 16 ammunition, a PNP identification card and cash worth P1,635 from the suspect.

Yagi is presently under custody of the PNP-IMEG in Camp Crame while criminal and administrative charges are being readied against him.

Eleazar said he directed a thorough investigation into the incident to also determine the possible cohorts or other cops involved in robbery-extortion in the area.

“Dahil dito ay titiyakin natin na habambuhay na pagsisihan ni Police Corporal Myrldon Yagi ang ginawa niyang pangongotong lalo na kung lumabas sa imbestigasyon na talagang ginawa niya ito,” he said.

The PNP chief also threatened to dismiss police officers who continue to engage in illegal activities.

Quezon City allows minors to visit Quezon Memorial Circle

Robie de Guzman   •   October 21, 2021

Minors aged 17 and below are now allowed to go to Quezon Memorial Circle, the Quezon City government said.

In an advisory, the city government said that minors will now be allowed to take a stroll in the park provided that they are accompanied by their parent or guardian at all times.

It, however, said that the park will only accommodate up to 30 percent of its capacity.

The Metro Manila Council (MMC) earlier said that the intrazonal and interzonal travel of minors is now allowed as long as they are accompanied by adults.

The easing of travel restrictions for minors follows the government’s move to place Metro Manila under COVID-19 Alert Level 3 from October 16 to 31.

Under Alert Level 3, more establishments have been allowed to resume operations at 30 percent capacity for fully vaccinated individuals, and 50 percent outdoor capacity, provided that all employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.