Bato Dela Rosa, Nancy Binay files for the 2019 Senatorial race

Marje Pelayo   •   October 12, 2018   •   4833

BOC Chief Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa and Senator Nancy Binay

MANILA, Philippines – Notable personalities showed up at the Palacio Del Gobernador on Friday (October 12) on the second day of filing of certificate of candidacy (COC) for the 2019 mid-term elections.

Senator Nancy Binay was accompanied by her brother former Makati Mayor Jun Jun Binay in filing her COC.

Senator Binay said she will focus on the country’s tourism industry should she win another term in the Senate.

“Nakikita ko ho na marami pang dapat gawin sa industriya ng turismo. Isa iyon sa ipu-pursue ko kung tayo ay nabigyan ng panibagong pagkakataon,” she said.

Next to file was outgoing Bureau of Corrections Chief Ronald “Bato” Dela Rosa who was accompanied by his supporters.

Dela Rosa maintained that his main platform of government is for the elimination of illegal drug operations in the country.

He said he is still too young to retire and still has the energy to serve.

“I am too young to retire…56 years old. Alam kong malakas pa ako. Kaya ko pa. Marami pa akong madeliver na serbisyo sa taong bayan,” the former Philippine National Police (PNP) chief said.

Binay is running under her father former vice president Jejomar Binay’s coalition, the United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) while Dela Rosa is running under the ruling party Partido Demokratikong Pilipino PDP-Laban. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Nel Maribojoc)

 

Gatchalian, Binay test negative for coronavirus

Robie de Guzman   •   March 17, 2020

Senators Sherwin Gatchalian and Nancy Binay

MANILA, Philippines – Senators Sherwin Gatchalian and Nancy Binay on Tuesday announced they tested negative for novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

In separate statements, Gatchalian and Binay both confirmed they are not infected with the virus, and thanked everyone for their prayers, support and encouraging messages.

The two legislators earlier submitted themselves to a voluntary home quarantine after a resource person who later tested positive for the virus attended a Senate hearing they were both in.

The Senate was closed earlier for disinfection, but Senate President Vicente Sotto III said that the upper chamber will remain “business as usual” to ensure that legislative work would continue even while community quarantine is being enforced.

Gatchalian said that with his negative test result, he is now ending his self-quarantine.

“After submitting myself to a COVID-19 test last Friday, I’m happy to announce today that I tested negative for the virus. Thus, I am ending my self-quarantine,” he said in a Facebook post.

Binay, however, said she will continue to stay home and finish her 14-day quarantine.

“I will still continue with my 14-day quarantine. Hindi pa po tapos ang laban natin kontra sa COVID-19, and we don’t want to have a false sense of security,” she wrote on her Facebook account.

The two senators also called on the public to seriously follow the regulations set by the government, including strict social distancing, practicing of proper hygiene, and home quarantine to stop the spread of COVID-19.

“There’s a lot of work to be done especially in the middle of this crisis while the number of infected cases continues to rise. We must pool our resources together to fight this dreaded virus. Hinihikayat ko po ang lahat na sumunod sa mga panuntunan na inilatag ng ating gobyerno para hindi na lumobo ang bilang ng mga kaso ng COVID-19,” Gatchalian said.

“COVID-19 is a serious matter. Let’s take the necessary precautions in protecting ourselves for the sake of our families and everyone else,” Binay said.

President Rodrigo Duterte has placed the entire Luzon region under enhanced community quarantine from March 17 to April 12.

The Philippines has so far recorded 142 coronavirus infections with 12 deaths.

Bato confirms his US visa has been canceled

Aileen Cerrudo   •   January 22, 2020

Senator Ronald ‘Bato’ Dela Rosa

Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa confirmed on Wednesday (January 22) that the United States (US) has cancelled his visa.

Dela Rosa said he was informed about the cancellation of his visa when he made an inquiry about his visa status on Monday (January 20).

“I received their official answer […] informing me that my visa is no longer valid for travel to the United States,” he said in an interview.

The Senator also said the US Embassy did not provide any reason regarding the cancellation of his visa or until when the visa will remain canceled. However, he can still reapply for another visa.

“No reason was stated,” Dela Rosa said. “Should I want to apply for another visa, I may apply.”

A resolution was filed before the upper chamber of the US Congress which allows the US Executive Branch to impose travel restrictions and sanctions against human rights violators including officials involved in the detention of former Senator Leila de Lima.

However, there is still no confirmation if Dela Rosa’s canceled visa is related to the said resolution.—AAC

PH Gov’t urged to take precautionary measures vs threat of new coronavirus strain

Robie de Guzman   •   January 22, 2020

Passengers wearing face masks who arrived from Guangzhou, China lineup for immigration at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport in Manila, Philippines, 22 January 2020. EPA-EFE/MARK R. CRISTINO

MANILA, Philippines – Several lawmakers on Wednesday urged the Philippine government to take precautionary measures and prepare emergency response plans amid the threat of a new strain of coronavirus from China.

In a statement, Senator Sherwin Gatchalian called on the Department of Education (DepEd) to put schools on alert and ensure that preventive steps are in place to protect students from the respiratory disease that has already infected 222 individuals across neighboring countries of China, Japan, South Korea, and Thailand.

“Sa ating pangambang makapasok itong bagong coronavirus sa ating bansa, mabuti nang maging sigurado tayo dahil ang isang kumpirmadong kaso ay maaaring maikalat sa iba,” Gatchalian said.

He made the appeal after the Department of Health (DOH) reported Tuesday it is closely monitoring a child who may have contracted novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) prior to entering the Philippines from Wuhan, China.

The DOH said the child manifested symptoms such as cough, throat irritation, and fever. He is currently stable but still has a cough.

Based on samples examined by the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM), the unnamed child tested negative for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS). Both diseases are caused by a family of viruses called coronavirus.

But he tested positive for a non-specific pancoronavirus assay, meaning he is infected with a strain of coronavirus. The sample has been sent to a laboratory in Australia for further testing.

The new strain of coronavirus was first detected in Wuhan City on December 31, 2019.

The World Health Organization (WHO) said novel coronavirus causes respiratory infections which may develop into severe cases such as pneumonia, acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and death if left untreated.

Coronavirus, which is a large group of viruses common among animals, may be transmitted to humans through contact with an infected person or animal.

Gatchalian, who chairs the Senate committee on basic education, arts, and culture also said that schools should have protocols in identifying students displaying flu-like symptoms and emphasize the practice of good hygiene, such as frequent hand-washing, to avoid any diseases.

Senator Nancy Binay, meanwhile, called on the DOH and other government agencies to prepare for an emergency response plan in dealing with the respiratory illness from China.

Binay said she filed Senate Resolution 293 which aims to determine appropriate measures and necessary funding requirements to ensure quick government response to address possible outbreaks.

“Preemptive measures will always the better option. Kailangan natin paghandaan na dahil actionable ang impormasyong hawak ng DOH. We must act immediately to monitor reports of the disease or sightings, and abate the possibility of an outbreak,” she said in a statement.

“Mabuting maging handa, hindi lamang ang DOH at ang pambansang pamahalaan, kundi pati na rin ang mga local na pamahalaan hanggang sa lebel ng barangay,” she added.

The DOH earlier advised the public to always practice frequent handwashing, avoid crowded places and contact with an infected person, and to thoroughly cook food, especially those containing meat and dairy products.   

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.