BI finds probable cause to deport Chinese girl in taho-throwing incident
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Tuesday, 12 February 2019 11:48 AM
MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Immigration (BI) Legal Division recommended the deportation of Chinese national, Zhang Jaile, the woman who threw taho or beancurd pudding at a police officer at MRT-Boni Avenue station on Saturday (February 8).
According to the BI, Zhang violated the MRT management’s policy against bringing in and consuming food items inside the train station and for disrespecting a person in authority by throwing ‘taho’ at the officer who was just doing his job of enforcing the station’s policy.
“Our legal team saw that there was probable cause to file a deportation case against her,” said BI spokesperson, Dana Sandoval.
Sandoval noted that once the deportation charge against Zhang is approved, she will be placed automatically under BI’s watchlist.
Sandoval also said that Zhang’s action was a clear violation of immigration laws concerning foreign nationals residing in the country.
Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente, meanwhile, expressed dismay over Zhang’s action.
“This is an utter display of disobedience and arrogance against a person of authority. The Bureau will not tolerate such acts, as this shows disrespect to the country,” he said.
Zhang arrived in the Philippines in October 2018 on a special resident retiree visa.
She is a freshman student taking up Bachelor of Fashion at the School of Fashion and Arts (SoFA) Design Institute in Makati City. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Mai Bermudez)
by UNTV News | Posted on Wednesday, 20 March 2019 06:10 PM
MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Immigration has ramped up its efforts to combat the trafficking of Filipinos, especially of minors, to other countries.
Immigration Commissioner Jaime Morente said in a statement on Monday (March 18) they have directed immigration officers at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) and other international ports in the country to “carefully screen departing Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW)” amid reports that human trafficking syndicates are again recruiting under-aged Filipino women.
Immigration personnel manning booths at the airport were also ordered to strictly screen departing OFWs “to make sure that they are of legal age and are eligible for overseas deployment.”
BI personnel should particularly watch out for passengers who appear to minors or below 23 years old, which is the age requirement for overseas household service workers, Morente said.
The latest measure was enforced after BI officers intercepted a 21-year old Filipina household worker bound for Saudi Arabia last March 13 at the NAIA Terminal 1 before she could board her flight to Riyadh.
The woman has already been turned over to the Inter-Agency Council Against Trafficking (IACAT) for further investigation and assistance.
Last year, the BI reported that more than a hundred under aged Filipino women, many of them minors, were intercepted at NAIA. All of them had passports with falsified birthdates, although they had valid overseas employment permits, working visas and job contracts.
“This syndicate has stopped deploying under aged women, following last year’s numerous interceptions, as well as arrests by local authorities. However, with this recent interception, it seems that this scheme is making a comeback,” Morente said.
“I implore our kababayans who wish to work abroad, do not fall to these syndicates,” he urged. – Robie de Guzman
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Tuesday, 29 January 2019 04:13 PM
MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Immigration (BI) has alerted all its personnel for possible entry of foreign terrorists in the country following the fatal explosions in Jolo, Sulu.
“I have instructed our Port Operations Division to alert all its personnel and be on the lookout for suspected foreign terrorists who might attempt to enter the country,” Commissioner Jaime Morente said.
Chief Port Officer Grifton Medina assured, meanwhile, that immigration officers at seaports and airports have been directed to carefully check the credentials of arriving foreign nationals.
“They were reminded to make sure that only aliens who are properly documented and are legitimate travelers with valid reasons in coming here are admitted,” Medina said.
The BI is now coordinating with international intelligence agencies for their database of international terrorists to block them from entering the country.
Meanwhile, the Department of Transportation (DOTr) likewise has ordered to intensify security measures in all transport terminals in the country, especially in Metro Manila where the largest of population resides.
It was in 2000 when Metro Manila was terrified by the infamous ‘Rizal Day bombing’ in LRT Blumentritt station that killed 10 people and wounded more than a hundred commuters. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Joan Nano)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.