Binondo-Intramuros Bridge set to open in Q1 2022 — DPWH
MANILA, Philippines — The Binondo-Intramuros Bridge Project is set to open in 2022, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said.
DPWH Secretary Mark Villar, in a statement, assured that the installation of fabricated precast concrete slab panels is nearing its completion.
Of the 135 bored piles for abutments, piers, and ramps, 114 were already completed with the remaining 21 mostly at the Estero De Binondo area.
However, the DPWH reported that the presence of powerlines and other utilities along Estero de Binondo at the north approach bridge posed serious challenges in the tight schedule to complete the new bridge.
DPWH Undersecretary for Unified Project Management Office (UPMO) Operations Emil Sadain said that the P3.39 billion project is about 77% complete.
He added that they are following up their request with Meralco to move or relocate distribution poles and overhead high tension lines that pose serious safety concerns in the ongoing construction of ramps in the Binondo and Intramuros area.
The construction of the 680 lineal meter basket-handle tied steel arch bridge connecting Intramuros (at Solana Street and Riverside Drive) and Binondo (at San Fernando Bridge) with a viaduct structure over Estero de Binondo is financed by a China Aid Grant.
Although the coronavirus pandemic disrupted the job site activity, the DPWH and contractor China Road and Bridge Corporation is taking proactive and preventive measures for workers in accordance with the construction health and safety guidelines amid the coronavirus disease threat, the department further said. –AAC
Mercado formally assumes post as DPWH secretary
MANILA, Philippines—Newly appointed secretary of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Roger Mercado formally assumed his post on Thursday (October 14).
During a turnover ceremony, former secretary Mark Villar handed over the stewardship of DPWH to Mercado. This was after President Rodrigo Duterte appointed Mercado on October 12.
Villar stepped down as the department secretary to run for senator in the 2022 national elections.
“It is an honor to work with the professional men and women of DPWH and to be able to continue oversee the completion of Department’s flagship infrastructure programs and projects,” Mercado said.
He also vowed to sustain the current momentum in the department in order to “deliver more high-impact projects that will benefit the Filipino people including those living in remote communities.” AAC
Southern Leyte solon takes oath as new DPWH chief
MANILA, Philippines – A lawmaker from Southern Leyte has been designated as secretary of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH).
Southern Leyte Rep. Roger Mercado took his oath before Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea as the new DPWH chief, as shown in photos shared by his son, Maasin City Mayor Nacional Mercado, on social media on Wednesday.
He will replace Mark Villar, who resigned from the post last week to pursue his senatorial bid in the 2022 elections.
Malacañang has yet to issue a statement confirming Mercado’s appointment to the DPWH.
List of unpassable roads due to Maring onslaught
Several roads and bridges in Region 1 and in the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) have been closed due to the onslaught of Severe Tropical Storm Maring.
In a travel advisory, regional offices of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) reported that Bayugao Bridge in Santa Cruz, Ilocos Sur has been damaged and is unpassable to motorists. DPWH Region I said sourcing of bailey panels and accessories are ongoing.
Cebu-Toledo Wharf Road, Brgy. Manipis, Talisay City, Cebu is also not passable to motorists. Ongoing clearing operations are being conducted at both ends of the road closure.
Meanwhile, clearing operations are underway in Baguio-Bontoc Road. The road was blocked due to rock collapse. AAC