British PM, locals, condemn calls for beggars to be removed before UK royal wedding

admin   •   January 5, 2018   •   2937

“Yes, I don’t agree with the comments that the leader of the council has made. I think it is important that we, councils, work hard to ensure that they are proving accommodation for those people who are homeless, and where there are issues of people aggressively begging on the streets then it’s important that councils work with the police to deal with that aggressive bullying,” said Britain Prime Minister Theresa May.

This was the comment of British Prime Minister Theresa May on the statement of Simon Dudley, the leader of the royal borough of Windsor and Maidenhead Council, on Twitter where he said there had been an “epidemic of rough sleeping and vagrancy” in the town and said he wanted police “to focus on dealing with this before the #royalwedding in May.”

His remarks drew criticism from Prime Minister Theresa May and even from locals.

“I don’t know any aggressive beggars. I don’t know one person who is an aggressive beggar. There is a couple of people that ask for money, but they are homeless people at the end of the day,” said Stuart, a homeless man in Windsor.

“No one has said anything to us, mentioned. But of course, if you see people are lying on the floor, wherever they are, not just Windsor, all around London, it’s a big big problem, big issue. It has to be dealt with in a humane way,” said Rooney.

These were reactions on the idea that beggars need to be cleared by police from the streets of Windsor before the wedding of Prince Harry to girlfriend Meghan Markle because their “detritus” is presenting the picturesque English town in a poor light, the local council leader has said.

Windsor, the oldest inhabited castle in the world which has been a home of British monarchs for almost 1,000 years, attracts 1.3 million visitors every year, while many also visit the town to watch the regular “changing the guard”. — Reuters

 

Britain’s Prince Harry and wife Meghan begin final royal events

UNTV News   •   March 6, 2020

Britain’s Prince Harry and his wife Meghan appeared together at an official engagement on Thursday (March 5) for the first time since January’s announcement that they would step away from their royal duties.

The appearance by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as Queen Elizabeth’s grandson and Meghan are officially known, at a London awards ceremony for wounded service personnel is one of their last before they quit as working members of the royal family.

The couple will stop their royal duties at the end of the month as they seek to carve out “a progressive new role”, mainly based in North America, which they aim to finance themselves.

While Harry remains a prince, they have agreed not to use the HRH titles – His or Her Royal Highness – and will not use “royal” in their branding, even though they said there was no jurisdiction by the monarchy or the government to stop them using the word overseas.

The couple have spent most of their time in Canada since January’s shock announcement.

On Thursday, they attended the annual Endeavour Fund Awards at Mansion House which acknowledges the achievements of wounded or sick servicemen and women who have taken part in remarkable sporting and adventure challenges.

Next week, Harry, 35 and Meghan, 38, will carry out what is expected to be their last official appearance alongside other senior royals including the 93-year-old queen, Harry’s father and heir-to-the-throne Prince Charles, and his brother Prince William at the annual Commonwealth Service at London’s Westminster Abbey. (Reuters)

(Production: Gerhard Mey, Hanna Rantala, Rosie-Lyse Thompson)

Harry, Meghan take step back as members of British royal family

UNTV News   •   January 9, 2020

Britain’s Prince Harry (R), the Duke of Sussex, and his wife Meghan (L), the Duchess of Sussex, attend a creative industries and business reception at the High Commissioner’s residence in Johannesburg, South Africa, 02 October 2019 (reissued 08 January 2020). According to reports, Duke and Duchess of Sussex have announced in a statement that they will step back as ‘senior’ royal family members and work to become financially independent. EPA-EFE/FACUNDO

By Guillermo Ximenis

London – Britain’s Duke and Duchess of Sussex, better known as Crown Prince Charles’ younger son Harry and his wife Meghan, have decided to “step back as ‘senior’ members of the royal family and work to become financially independent,” the royal couple said in a statement on Wednesday.

For the year-and-a-half since their wedding at Windsor Castle – which was a gigantic media event – the 35-year-old Harry and former US actress Meghan Markle, 38, have been embroiled in controversy regarding their relationship with the rest of the royal family and subjected to intense media pressure.

Now the parents of an eight-month-old boy, Archie, the couple announced Wednesday that they will continue to fulfill their royal obligations vis-a-vis Queen Elizabeth, Harry’s grandmother, the British Commonwealth and the foundations in which they are involved, but they will not be spending all their time in the British Isles.

“This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter,” the pair said in their joint communique.

They went on to say in their statement on their Instagram account, that they intend to “launch … our new charitable entity,” about which they will provide more details in the future.

“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution,” the royal pair said, referring to the monarchy.

Harry and Meghan communicated their plans shortly after returning from a lengthy trip to Canada, where Meghan lived for seven years while she was filming the TV series “Suits,” their stay there forcing them to distance themselves from their royal commitments for about two months.

A few weeks before Christmas, the couple’s problems dealing with the pressure of being in the bright media spotlight all the time were highlighted in a documentary aired on Britain’s ITV television channel.

In that documentary, Prince Harry said that he refused to be forced into playing the game that “killed my mother,” referring to Princess Diana, who died in August 1997 in Paris in an automobile accident as she was being pursued by paparazzi.

In that same documentary, Meghan was almost moved to tears while talking with the journalist interviewing her, leading the British press to compare that moment with Diana’s famous 1995 interview in which she spoke openly for the first time about her relationship with Crown Prince Charles.

Harry’s remarks in the documentary, however, reportedly made his older brother William “furious,” according to sources within Buckingham Palace, reviving speculation about friction between the brothers.

Prince Harry, however, took pains to try and publicly downplay any tension between them.

Last October, Meghan launched legal proceedings against the Mail on Sunday and its parent company for publishing a private letter and having undertaken an alleged campaign of “fake” news against her.

DSWD appeals to public not to give alms to street children, beggars

Aileen Cerrudo   •   November 7, 2019

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has urged the public not to give alms to street beggars including street children, homeless people, and members of Indigenous Peoples (IP) groups.

The DSWD said this is in pursuant to Presidential Decree (PD) No. 1563 or the Anti-Mendicancy Law which prohibits begging or soliciting of charitable donations by the poor and other religious organizations on the streets.

The department advises the public to think of other means to help in order to keep street dwellers and IP groups away from mendicant activities that may endanger their lives.

“DSWD advises the public to provide responsible types of assistance such as conducting organized gift-giving and caroling activities, feeding sessions, story-telling, and medical missions at the activity centers in the local government units (LGUs),” the DSWD said in a statement.—AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.