Cebu province to be placed under ECQ to combat COVID-19

Robie de Guzman   •   March 26, 2020   •   1281

Cebu Provincial Capitol

The province of Cebu will be placed under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in a bid to stop the spread of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

Under Executive Order No. 5-N signed on March 25, Governor Gwendolyn Garcia placed Cebu province under enhanced community quarantine, and that starting 12:01 a.m. of March 27, Friday entry of all persons arriving on international flights in the province will be banned.

Outbound passengers, however, will still be allowed to leave the province, and the movement of all cargo in airports and seaports will not be restricted during the community quarantine period.

“Basic and essential goods, and other necessities shall be given priority over other goods,” the order read.

The EO also mandated the police, military and other government security forces assigned in the province to assist in the implementation of the enhanced community quarantine.

Garcia said she is set to meet with local chief executives to discuss the measures which will be carried out during the quarantine period.

She has also asked the Provincial Board to hold an emergency session on Thursday to place the entire province under a state of emergency, which would allow authorities to access emergency funds for COVID-19 response.

Cebu province so far has one confirmed COVID-19 patient while there are nine “presumptive” positive cases recorded in the cities of Cebu, Mandaue, and Lapu-Lapu. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Gladys Toabi)


Erratum:
An earlier version of this article erroneously stated that Cebu province has eight “presumptive” positive cases recorded in the cities of Cebu, Mandaue, and Lapu-Lapu. Revision has been made.

Metro Manila to likely transition to GCQ after May 31 —Palace

Aileen Cerrudo   •   May 28, 2020

Metro Manila has a possibility to transition to General Community Quarantine (GCQ) from Modified Enhanced Community Quarantine (MECQ) after May 31, according to the Malacañang.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said there is a chance that the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) restrictions might ease in Metro Manila and other parts of the country.

The Inter-Agency Task Force on the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) held a meeting on Wednesday (May 27) to determine if the MECQ should continue after May 31.

“Chances are we will, in fact, be transitioning to GCQ in Metro Manila, according to the chief implementer and the DILG [Department of the Interior and Local Government] Secretary,” Roque said in a statement.

The Metro Manila Council (MMC) is also recommending to the IATF to put the National Capital Region under GCQ.

Once Metro Manila transitioned to GCQ, Roque said public transportation will resume operations but will have limited capacity.

He also appealed to the private and public sectors to finalize their work scheme where 50% will resume in worksites and 50% will work from home.

“We are appealing to both private and public sectors to ensure at least 50-50 workforce,” he said. –AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

ECQ areas might downgrade to GCQ by June —DILG

Aileen Cerrudo   •   May 26, 2020

Areas under Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) might be put under General Community Quarantine by June, according to the Deparment of the Interior and Local Government (DILG).

In a virtual press briefing on Tuesday (May 26), DILG Secretary Eduardo Año said they are looking into implementin lockdowns in specific areas with high coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases.

“Kahit iyan ay naka-GCQ, pwede pa rin mag-declare ang mga local chief executive ng critical areas. Ito iyong mga lugar na mayroong 20 or plus na cases, (Even if [the area] is under GCQ, local chief executives can still declare critical areas. These are areas with 20 or plus cases)” he said.

There will also be lesser number of checkpoints by June, the DILG secretary added. From checkpoints situated in every boundaries of cities, it will be limited to specific areas.

“Mayroon tayong tinatawag na modified checkpoints para hindi na masyadong magbuhol-buhol ang trapiko, (We have something that we call modified checkpoints to ease the traffic)” Año said. AAC (with reports from Joan Nano)

President Duterte goes home to Davao as Metro Manila eases lockdown restrictions

Maris Federez   •   May 16, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang has confirmed that President Rodrigo Duterte returned to his hometown of Davao City on Saturday.

This, as Metro Manila eases from the COVID-19 lockdown after it was shifted into a modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ).

It is the first time that the President has returned home since he ordered the implementation of a lockdown in March which suspended transportation and restricted the public’s movement in Luzon.

Presidential Security Group chief Col. Jesus Durante III, in an interview, also confirmed that President Duterte took the flight at past midnight, arriving in Davao City early Saturday.

“He is in Davao after more than 2 months of not being able to see his family,” Durante said.

Durante assured that the chief executive will join the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) meeting next week. — /mbmf

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.