China decries travel, visa restrictions in global fight against novel coronavirus

UNTV News   •   February 4, 2020   •   647

China on Monday (February 3) denounced at a World Health Organization (WHO) meeting measures by “some countries” that have denied entry to people holding passports issued in Hubei province — the center of the new coronavirus outbreak — and to deny visas and cancel flights.

“All these measures are seriously against recommendation by the WHO,” said Li Song, who is China’s ambassador for disarmament at the United Nations in Geneva, during a WHO Executive Board meeting.

China’s regular Executive Board representative was unable to attend after her flight from Beijing was cancelled, Chinese diplomats told reporters on Friday (January 31).

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said earlier on Monday there was no need for measures that “unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade” in trying to halt the spread of a coronavirus that has killed 361 people in China.

China is facing increasing international isolation due to restrictions on flights to and from the country, and bans on travellers from China.

U.S. ambassador Andrew Bremberg said that the outbreak in two dozen countries required focused attention.

“We express our support, prayers, sympathy, and appreciation to the people of China and especially the health responders on the front lines, who are protecting not only their communities, but the world,” Bremberg said.

There have been 17,238 confirmed infections in China including 361 deaths, as well as 151 confirmed cases in 23 countries and 1 death which was reported from the Philippines on Sunday, Tedros said. (Reuters)

(Production: Marina Depetris, Ardee Napolitano)

Mga Pilipino sa Indonesia na balak umuwi sa Pilipinas, pinayuhang ipagpaliban ang biyahe

Robie de Guzman   •   July 19, 2021

Pinayuhan ng Embahada ng Pilipinas sa Indonesia ang mga Pilipino roon na ipagpaliban muna ang kanilang biyahe kung nagbabalak silang umuwi sa Pilipinas dahil sa umiiral na travel restrictions.

Ayon kay Charge D’ Affaires ng Philippine Embassy sa Indonesia na si Consul General Bryan Dexter Lao, hanggang sa katapusan ng Hulyo epektibo ang travel restrictions ng Pilipinas para sa bansang Indonesia bunsod ng mga kaso roon ng mas nakakahawang Delta variant ng COVID-19.

“Ang kailangan nilang gawin sa ngayon ay kausapin ang kanilang travel agent o airline para makapag-rebook sila ng flights,” ani Lao.

“Hindi pa natin masabi kung ano ang mangyayari sa mga susunod na panahon kung makakabiyahe ba sila agad dahil hihintayin pa natin ang magiging kautusan ng pamahalaan tungkol sa pansamantalang travel ban,” dagdag pa niya.

Maliban sa Indonesia, may ipinaiiral ding travel ban ang Pilipinas para sa mga bansang India, Pakistan, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates, at Oman hanggang sa Hulyo 31.

Batay sa ulat ng Embahada ng Pilipinas, aabot sa 15 Pilipino sa Indonesia ang nahawa ng COVID-19 at kasalukuyang nagpapagaling.

Tiniyak ni Lao na patuloy silang nakabantay sa sitwasyon ng mga Pilipino sa Indonesia at tuloy rin ang operasyon ng Embahada roon.

“Nakamonitor kami dito, base sa aming pagtataya, mayroon tayong mga Pilipino na naapektuhan ngayon ng COVID-19, siguro humigit kumulang mga sampu hanggang labing-lima. Hindi naman malubha ang kanilang mga kaso,” ayon sa opisyal.

Nasa 4,000 hanggang 8,000 ang bilang ng mga Pilipinong nagta-trabaho sa Indonesia. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

PH gov’t to verify reports on foreign ships’ alleged sewage dumping in West Philippine Sea

Robie de Guzman   •   July 14, 2021


MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine government will look into a report that some foreign vessels were allegedly dumping sewage wastes in the contested parts of the West Philippine Sea, Malacañang said Wednesday.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque issued the statement in response to a report released by US-based geospatial imagery firm, Simularity, which stated that foreign ships have been dumping sewage and human wastes in the reefs of the disputed waters.

“The responsible answer is we are verifying first, we will react if it’s been verified,” Roque said in a press briefing.

“We should accord our neighbors, and our friends the presumption of good faith, when they say something about an issue,” he added.

If the reports are true, Roque said the government would never allow the Philippines to become a garbage dump.

He even cited the incident when the Philippines sent back to Canada its illegally exported trash in 2019.

The Department of National Defense earlier said it is already verifying the report as it noted that the photo accompanying it was supposedly taken on the Australian Great Barrier Reef in 2014.

PH extends ban on travelers from India, 6 other nations until July 31

Robie de Guzman   •   July 14, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine government has extended its entry restrictions for travelers coming from India and six other countries until July 31, Malacañang said Wednesday.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) has approved the extension of travel restrictions on India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, United Arab Emirates, and Oman.

“Inaprubahan ng inyong IATF ang extension ng travel restrictions sa India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, United Arab Emirates at Oman hanggang katapusan ng buwan o July 31, 2021,” Roque announced during his regular press briefing.

The travel ban, imposed to prevent the further entry of highly contagious Delta COVID-19 variant, was supposed to lapse on July 15.

Roque said the IATF technical working group has also been instructed to further review and submit recommendations on the appropriate testing and quarantine protocols for inbound travelers from the above-mentioned countries as well as other nations considered as “high risk” for COVID-19.

Meanwhile, Roque said President Rodrigo Duterte has yet to decide on the recommended travel ban on Indonesia due to a surge in cases of Delta COVID-19 variant. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.