Church shooter fled mental facility in 2012 – Police

admin   •   November 8, 2017   •   2743

The gunman who killed 26 churchgoers in Texas fled from a mental health clinic in 2012, according to a police report.

Officers in El Paso in West Texas who detained Devin Kelley five years ago said Kelley had been sent to a mental health facility after he was sent to the court-martial for assaulting his ex-wife and toddler stepson during a stint in US Air Force.

El Paso police arrested Kelley at a bus terminal in downtown El Paso in June 2012, according to a police report first reported by KPRC in Houston.

Officers wrote that later on Kelley fled peak behavioral health services in Santa Teresa, New Mexico. The person who reported him missing from the facility told police Kelley “suffered from mental disorders”.

FBI investigators said on Tuesday they have been trying to unlock Kelley’s mobile phone, to better understand what led him to carry out the mass shooting.

“Unfortunately at this point in time, we are unable to get into that phone. With the advance of the technology and the phones and encryption’s, law enforcement — whetted it’s at the state, local or the federal level is increasingly not able to get into these phones,” said  Christopher Combs, an FBI Special Agent-in-Charge.

Investigators are still probing a conflict between Kelley and his in-laws that appeared to have set off his rampage.

“There were questions regarding the suspect’s mother-in-law.  On Sunday when this crime occurred, she was not in church,” said the FBI agent.

The dead ranged in age from 18 months to 77 years old. Twenty others were wounded, with 10 still in critical condition on Tuesday, officials said.

Kelley died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in his getaway vehicle, where authorities found two handguns, said State Department of Public Safety spokesman Freeman Martin.

“We hope to finish up the crime scene investigation and all the forensic analysis by tomorrow night, and then that will be turned back over to the local officials,” said Martin. — Reuters

Zoom video conferencing app addresses privacy issues amid FBI scrutiny

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 3, 2020

The video conferencing app, Zoom, has announced they are already addressing the privacy and security issues raised by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) due to ‘Zoombombing’ reports.

In a statement, Zoom Founder and CEO Eric Yuan said the company acknowledges the reports of users regarding privacy issues, saying these reports would help make the company better for its customers.

“Dedicated journalists and security researchers have also helped to identify pre-existing ones. We appreciate the scrutiny and questions we have been getting – about how the service works, about our infrastructure and capacity, and about our privacy and security policies,” he said.

The FBI said they received several reports in the United States that there has been an incident of ‘Zoombombing’ or video conferences being disrupted by pornographic and/or hate images and threatening language.

Yuan said they already began implementing changes to address their privacy issues. These include training sessions, adding protective features and updating their privacy policy.

“Our chief concern, now and always, is making users happy and ensuring that the safety, privacy, and security of our platform is worthy of the trust you all have put in us,” Yuan said. AAC

Thai soldier who killed 20 shot dead in shopping mall siege

UNTV News   •   February 9, 2020

Thai security forces on Sunday (February 9) shot and killed a rogue soldier who went on a rampage in a shopping mall in a northeastern city, ending an overnight siege after a series of attacks that left at least 20 people dead.

Thai police and the army confirmed the soldier had been shot dead at the Terminal 21 mall in the city of Nakhon Ratchasima. Police have identified the suspected shooter as 32-year-old soldier Jakrapanth Thomma.

The killings began at around 3 p.m. (0800 GMT) on Saturday when the soldier opened fire in a house before moving to an army camp and then to the mall, posting messages on Facebook as he went.

Thai media said the suspected shooter had worked at an army base close to Nakhon Ratchasima, which is about 250 km (155 miles) from the capital Bangkok. Before the attack, Jakrapanth had posted on his Facebook account that he was out for vengeance — but he did not say for what.

A provincial health official told a news conference that a total of 20 people had been killed and 42 wounded, revising down an earlier figure of 21 dead given by other officials.

Thai authorities confirm 20 deaths, 31 injuries, 16 held hostage by Thai soldier

UNTV News   •   February 9, 2020

The shopping mall where the shooter hides

Thai Defense Ministry spokesman Lt. Gen. Kongcheep Tantravanich on Saturday night confirmed 20 deaths so far from the shooting spree carnage by a junior army soldier in northeastern Thailand.

Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, who arrived at the Nakorn Ratchasima Hospital where the injured were being treated, told the media that 31 people were injured, with 4 in critical condition.

National police chief Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda who also arrived in Nakorn Ratchasima, told the media that 16 were still being held hostage by the gunman at the Terminal 21 shopping center.

A Thai soldier on Saturday went on a shooting rampage in Nakorn Ratchasima, stole a Humvee from his base, then proceeded to shoot at shoppers inside a mall. He also took a selfie during the attack, and posted on social media.

Police is still negotiating with the suspect on the hostages.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.