CIDG ready to arrest Trillanes, 10 others unless they post bail
Aileen Cerrudo • February 14, 2020 • 1093
The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) said they are ready to arrest former Senator Antontio Trillanes IV and 10 others over conspiracy to commit sedition if they will not post bail.
“Unless they post bail, the accused will be arrested. But they are expected to post bail,” according to CIDG National Capital Region Chief PCol. Tom Ibay.
The Quezon City Metropolitan Trial Court Branch 138 has already released a warrant of arrest against Trillanes, Peter Joemel ‘Bikoy’ Advincula, and nine others.
Ibay said they are still waiting for the copy of the warrant before taking any action and in case they were not able to post bail.
The accused were charged due to the “Ang Totoong Narcolist” video that aimed to discredit President Rodrigo Duterte’s administration.
Meanwhile, Trillanes said he will post bail next week when he returns to the Philippines. The former senator also said he is ready to face any complaints filed against him.
“I am out of the country as of the moment for a series of engagements. But I intend to post bail once I arrive in Manila late next week. I will face this case just as I have faced all the other harassment cases Duterte’s minions have filed against me,” he said in a statement.—AAC (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
The Philippine National Police (PNP) Integrity Monitoring and Enforcement Group (IMEG) has arrested the chief of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) in Bacolod City, Negros Occidental.
This, after he reportedly asked for Php5,000.00 as weekly protection money from the owner of ZTrip Zone KTV Bar in Barangay Singcang, Bacolod City.
PMaj. Melvin Madrona and his civilian accomplice Jay-Ar dela Cruz were arrested in an entrapment operation by the PNP-IMEG Visayas Field Office inside a cockpit arena while accepting the Php5,000 marked money from the complainant.
Based on the complaint, Madrona purportedly told the owner to give them protection money on Thursday of every week.
Madrona reportedly raided the KTV bar on February 8 and brought the manager, workers, and Japanese clients of the bar to the police station but soon released them after asking for a weekly Php 5,000 protection money.
IMEG said Madrona had earlier faced arbitrary detention, grave coercion and physical injury cases when he assaulted an overseas Filipino worker in March 2017 in Quezon City because of a vehicular accident.
He was relieved from his post and was transferred to Camp Crame Headquarters Support Service before he was assigned as chief of the Bacolod CIDG.
Madrona and Dela Cruz will be facing robbery-extortion charges. — (from the report of Lea Ylagan) /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – Two convicts detained at the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) allegedly orchestrated the grisly killing of former Batangas Representative Edgar Mendoza and his two aides, the Philippine National Police (PNP) said Thursday.
PNP Criminal Investigation and Detection Group director Brig. Gen. Joel Coronel identified the principal suspect as Sherwin Sanchez, who has been imprisoned since 2015 for murder charges.
Investigation revealed that Sanchez was a client of Mendoza, a lawyer who handled his transactions concerning financial and properties.
Sanchez did not pay Mendoza for his services after the former was convicted.
Sanchez allegedly conspired with his fellow detainee, Arthur Fajardo, to have Mendoza killed.
Fajardo, a member of the Fajardo kidnap-for-ransom group who has been detained at the state penitentiary since 2005, then contacted his wife, Jael, who allegedly hired the killers.
Mendoza and his companions, bodyguard Nicanor Mendoza and driver Ruel Ruiz, were found burnt inside the former solon’s car in Tiaong, Quezon Province on January 9.
The day before they were killed, Mendoza and his aides went to the home of the family of Fajardo in Calamba, Laguna supposedly to collect a sum of money owed by Sanchez.
“Apparently, on the day he disappeared, and later on found dead, he was supposed to collect a sum of money from representatives of the principal suspect in Calamba,” Coronel said.
Investigation showed that Sanchez and Mendoza had disagreements on the amount for his legal services but later agreed on a sum amounting to millions of pesos.
However, Sanchez had no intention of paying the amount from the start and instead hired some gunmen to kill Mendoza. He allegedly contracted the killers for the sum of P100,000.
“There was a disagreement on the amount to be collected and also base on the revelations of the witnesses and some of the suspects’ confession, there was really no intention on the part of the suspect to the amount agreed by them,” Coronel said.
Police identified Sanchez and Fajardo’s cohorts as Jael Fajardo, Arthur’s wife; Madonna Palermo, Jael’s household worker; Kristine Fernandez, Jael’s errand runner; Carlo Acuña and Erickson Balbastro who were said to be members of the Fajardo kidnap-for-ransom group.
The five suspects were arrested by authorities on January 22.
Police found that prior to their murder, Mendoza and his aides were drugged with coffee laced with sleeping pills while they were in Fajardo’s home. They were later stabbed and struck in the head with a hard object.
The three victims were already dead when their remains were brought and burned in Tiaong, based on Balbastro’s statement.
Coronel said the suspects’ target was only Mendoza and that the two aides were “collateral damage.”
Police said they are hunting down a certain Rodel Mercado, said to be the one who stabbed and struck the victims.
PNP chief Archie Gamboa said three counts of murder have been filed against the suspects.
“This case is considered solved and it is now elevated in the prosecution office arm of the justice system,” he said. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)
MANILA, Philippines – Five suspects in the killing of former Batangas 2nd District Rep. Edgar Mendoza and two others are now under police custody, authorities said Wednesday.
Police Brig. Gen. Joel Coronel, director of Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP CIDG), said one of the apprehended suspects was identified as the mastermind of the crime.
The charred remains of Mendoza and two others, identified as his bodyguard Roel Ruiz and his driver Nicanor Mendoza, were found inside a burnt car in Tiaong town in Quezon Province on January 9.
Mendoza reportedly left his home to meet someone in Calamba, Laguna on the day he died. He was last seen with his driver and aide on January 7 in Lipa, Batangas.
His family reported him missing when he failed to return home.
Coronel said the motive in the grisly murder appears to be connected to financial and legal disputes.
A lawyer by profession, Mendoza handled cases related to real estate and properties after his stint in Congress.
Coronel said the arrested suspects will be face murder charges. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.