Cop in Paniqui twin slay to face admin, criminal raps – DILG

Robie de Guzman   •   December 21, 2020   •   666

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Monday denounced the killing of a mother and her son by a police officer in Paniqui, Tarlac.

In a statement, DILG Secretary Eduardo Año assured that justice will be given to the family of the victims and that the cop involved in the shooting incident will face administrative and criminal charges.

The cop, identified as Police Senior Master Sergeant Joniel Nuezca, has been disarmed and is now under the custody of the Tarlac Provincial Police Office, he added.

The DILG oversees the Philippine National Police (PNP).

“The formal investigation into the incident has commenced and we assure the family and the public that the PNP and the National Police Commission will conduct a thorough, impartial, and swift investigation,” Año said.

On Sunday, Nuezca shot mother and son, identified as 52-year old Sonya Gregorio and 25-year old Frank Anthony, during an argument that started over an improvised canon.

In the now-viral video, the shooting incident happened after the young daughter of the policeman, who shouted “my father is a policeman,” was mocked by Sonya. This appeared to have triggered the cop to pull his gun and shot the two victims.

Nuezca, assigned at the Paranaque City Police Station but went home to Paniqui, Tarlac, was off-duty when the incident occurred. He initially fled the scene but later surrendered to authorities.

Año vowed to make the cop accountable for his crime.

“We do not and will never tolerate such acts and we will make sure that he will account for his crimes,” he said.

Año said the incident is “unfortunate but isolated,” as he stressed that Nuezca’s crime is not the sin of the entire Philippine National Police.

“While there are unfortunate incidents like this, the vast majority of our PNP personnel perform their sworn duties everyday with honor and integrity to protect and serve the people,” he said.

“The sin of Nuezca is not the sin of the entire Philippine National Police. As we have seen during this pandemic, they place their very lives on the line as frontliners in our COVID response,” he added.

The DILG chief also reminded police officers to “remain calm at all times, to control their emotions, and to conduct themselves in a manner befitting their position as agents of the law.”

Año said he has directed PNP Chief P/Gen Debold Sinas to extend assistance to the family of the victims at this time of bereavement.

PNP should not interfere with community pantry, DILG’s Año says

Robie de Guzman   •   April 20, 2021

 

Community pantry

MANILA, Philippines – Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año on Tuesday said that police and local government executives should not interfere with community pantries and other similar initiatives organized by private groups.

Año issued the statement following reports that some of the community pantry organizers were being red-tagged and profiled by alleged government authorities.

The DILG chief said police and local government interference should only be limited to ensuring that health protocols are being implemented.

“Since this is a purely voluntary and private initiative, we should not interfere except to ensure that minimum health standards are complied with,” Año said.

“Hence, organizers must adhere to existing laws and local ordinances especially those issued to prevent the spread of Covid-19,” he added.

Año also clarified that he did not order the Philippine National Police (PNP) to look into the community pantries around the country.

“The community pantry has been a traditional practice in our country as part of Bayanihan culture and spirit specially in the times of calamities and disasters,” he said.

“In the spirit of Bayanihan, many Filipinos have been doing selfless acts of kindness since last year.

As long as the intention is good and without political color, it should be encouraged and supported,” he added.

As to the issue of whether organizers are required to secure barangay permits, the DILG chief said that organizers should “consult with the concerned barangays if such is required.”

“The PNP and/or local officials may just come in if there is any violation of law, if there are complaints from the community, or if the organizers seek their help,” he said.

“The LGUs, barangays and the PNP are ready to provide utmost assistance to ensure orderly distribution to the public,” he added.

DILG Sec. Año returns to work after more than 3 months in hospital

Marje Pelayo   •   April 16, 2021

DILG Secretary Eduardo Año

 

MANILA, Philippines – Secretary Eduardo Año of the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) is returning to work on Friday (April 16) after more than three months of hospital care.

In a statement, Interior Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said the DILG chief already received clearance from his doctors, though it will be on a work-from-home setup until he is fully recovered.

“After more than three months of grueling struggle, including a heart operation, the Secretary is well, in high spirits, and ready to reassume his duties in the Department as well as in the National Task Force COVID-19 and in the IATF-EID,” Malaya said.

“He will start by first working from home and eventually to full normal routine,” he noted.

Malaya expressed gratitude to the public for respecting the DILG Chief’s privacy in the past few months and “for giving him the time to rest, recuperate, and fully recover.’

Aplikasyon para sa higit 4,000 dagdag contact tracers sa Metro Manila, bubuksan sa Abril 16 — DILG

Robie de Guzman   •   April 15, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Sisimulan na sa Biyernes ang pagtanggap ng aplikasyon para sa mga nais magtrabaho bilang contact tracer upang mapaigting ang tracing efforts ng pamahalaan kontra COVID-19.

Ayon sa Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), kabuuang 4,574 na dagdag contact tracers ang balak kunin ng pamahalaan para sa Metro Manila, na itinuturing na epicenter ng COVID-19 sa bansa.

“Simula po bukas, open na yung ating hiring, at ito ay magtatapos hanggang April 22,” ang pahayag ni DILG Undersecretary Bernardo Florece sa isang press briefing ngayong Huwebes.

Aniya, P537 kada araw ang sweldo ng isang contact tracer at tatagal ng tatlong buwan ang kanilang kontrata.

Kabilang sa mga kuwalipikasyon ay high school graduate at prayoridad na kunin ang mga nasa informal working sector na nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa pandemya.

Para sa mga interesadong mag-apply, magsumite ng letter of application, barangay certification, medical certificate at iba pang kinakailangang mga dokumento sa pamamagitan ng electronic mail (e-mail) sa Office of the Public Employment Service Office (PESO) ng mga lokal na pamahalaan.

Ayon sa DILG, sa Mayo 1 target na mai-deploy ang mga bagong contact tracer pagkatapos sumailalim sa training. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.