Cyber security expert cautions PH telcos amid Huawei crackdown

Robie de Guzman   •   May 21, 2019   •   2464

MANILA, Philippines – Major telecommunication companies in the Philippines should exercise caution amid the ban imposed by the United States (US) on Chinese tech giant Huawei, a cybersecurity expert said.

The US last week barred American firms from dealing with Huawei without a government license, in a latest blow against China amid escalating trade war.

The US accused Huawei of posing an international security threat, saying the telecom company is being used by China for surveillance and to “spy” on Americans.

Huawei, the world’s biggest supplier of telecommunications equipment, gets critical technology and components from a number of US firms for its devices.

On Sunday, news emerged that Google will comply with a US government order and suspended business with Huawei that requires the transfer of hardware, software and technical services except those publicly available via open source licensing.

Reports said the move will render Google services inaccessible on Huawei smartphones that run on Android. Future versions of Huawei mobile devices will also lose access to popular services, such as Google Play Store, Gmail and YouTube apps.

In a statement, Android clarified that existing Huawei devices can still have access to Google services.

READ: Existing Huawei devices safe from Google app restrictions—Android

Local telecommunication companies, in a separate statement, also assured its subscribers that existing Huawei handsets and devices will continue to function normally on their network.

READ: Purchased Huawei products will function properly on our network – PLDT

But cyber security expert Roselle Reig said the ongoing crackdown and increasing number of countries banning Huawei should alarm local telcos.

“They need to be cautious because it seems there a lot of countries that are against Huawei. Our Telcos should listen and be aware of what is happening outside the country and to safeguard our Huawei users,” she said.

Reig also stressed that an intensive study should be conducted to determine the implications of the issue to the national security should spying allegations against Huawei are proven to be true.

The US State Department earlier accused the Tech Giant of sharing some vital information to their clients in the Chinese government.

“Should there be backdoor access that could spy the device or Huawei devices can be used to spy the government or communication (system) in the country, it’s a big threat to the security of every Filipino and Internet user,” she said.

Reig also expressed fear that the processes of systems in terms of transportation, electricity and banking, among others may be put in danger due to cyber hacking.

On the part of Department of Information and Communications Technology (DICT), acting secretary Eliseo Rio Jr. said the US blacklist on Huawei would not affect its policy of allowing private telcos choose their equipment supplier.

Telcos are also required by the government to provide assurance that their networks will not pose any threat to national security.

“If it does, if an incident happens, then they can lose their business, if their network has been the cause of breach that endangers our national security,” said DICT Acting Secretary Eliseo Rio Jr.

Despite the ban, Huawei assured to keep sending software updates to its devices for the next three months after receiving a temporary license until August 19, 2019.

READ: U.S. temporarily eases trade restrictions vs Huawei

The US government also temporarily eased restrictions on Huawei for 90 days to minimize disruption for customers and to allow telcos relying on the Chinese firm to make other arrangements. (with details from April Cenedoza)

China says US behaviour “disgraceful and immoral” over accusations on Huawei

Jeck Deocampo   •   September 4, 2019

Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang

Beijing on Wednesday (September 4) accused the United States of using its power to suppress a specific Chinese company without providing any evidence after China’s Huawei Technologies said the U.S. government had instructed law enforcement to “coerce” and “entice” its employees to turn against the company, as it steps up its pushback against a U.S. campaign that could threaten its survival.

Huawei on Tuesday (September 3) said the U.S. government was using its judicial and administrative powers as well as other means to disrupt its business and that of its partners.

“This kind of behavior is not only disgraceful, it is also immoral,” Chinese foreign ministry Geng Shuang said at a daily news conference, adding that the United States should stop its “irrational” pressure on Chinese companies and instead create a non-discriminatory environment for their operations.

Amid a trade war with China, Washington put the world’s No. 2 smartphone maker on an Entity List in May, in effect cutting off its access to essential U.S. components and technology, in particular, Google’s apps and services for Android devices. (REUTERS)

Status still unclear as Trump announces ease of trade ban vs Huawei

Aileen Cerrudo   •   July 5, 2019

Courtesy : Reuters

The status of Huawei in the United States market remains unclear after President Donald Trump announced plans to ease the trade ban against the Chinese company.

President Trump made the statement last week during the G20 Summit in Japan.

“We mentioned Huawei, I said we have to save that till the very end, we’ll have to see….One of the things I will allow however is, a lot of people are surprised, we send and we sell to Huawei a tremendous amount of product that go into the various things that they make, and I said that, that’s okay that we will keep selling those products,” he said.

However, despite the announcement, White House Economic Adviser Larry Kudlow said Huawei will remain blacklisted.

“Remember, Huawei remains on the enemy list, which is fundamentally a national security issue,” he said.

Meanwhile, trade talks between the US and China will continue next week to resolve a year-long trade war.—AAC (with reports from Mon Jocson)

Huawei underestimated impact of U.S. ban, expects a $100 billion dip in revenue

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 18, 2019

Courtesy : Reuters

Huawei Technologies’ founder and CEO Ren Zhengfei said they underestimated the impact of the United States (US) ban.

On Monday (June 17), Zhengfei warned that their revenue would dip to around $100 billion this year.

READ: Internet abuzz over Google suspending business with Huawei

The US has put Huawei on their trade blacklist and banned American companies from doing business with the Chinese firm due to security risk.

Google previously announced that Huawei’s newer smartphones will lose Android updates as well as apps including YouTube, Gmail, and Google Play.

Zhengfei alredy expressed concerns on the impact of the trade ban.

“We did not, in our initial assessment, expect it to be this serious. We had made our preparations, just like an old airplane, we had only protected our heart and our fuel tank, we did not protect the other necessary components. So in the next two years, the company will suffer a setback. Our output will drop by $30 billion and so our revenue would dip to around $100 billion this year and the next,” he said.

“Whether (Huawei’s) international smartphone shipments will drop 40%? Yes it will, drop by 40%. But the growth rate for Chinese smartphone sales is very fast, its very fast,” he added.—AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.