Davao City limits movement of residents, visitors amid COVID-19 fears

Robie de Guzman   •   March 13, 2020   •   1664

MANILA, Philippines – The government of Davao City has implemented travel restrictions for its residents and visitors in an effort to combat the spread of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the area.

In the guidelines issued Thursday, the Office of Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio said travel to and from Davao City will be limited, and all residents are barred from going outside the city.

Short-term visitors are also advised to leave the city immediately, while travelers planning to visit the city may still do so but are “requested to postpone their trip until the state of public health emergency is lifted.”

The guidelines, however, emphasized that the city is not on lockdown.

In a local radio interview, Duterte-Carpio urged non-Davao residents to think about observing preventive measures rather than pursuing trips to the city at this time.

“If you are not a resident of Davao and you get the disease here, you can spread it in your hometown once you go back. It would be better if we take preventive measures,” she said.

The presidential daughter appealed for public understanding over the drastic action, explaining that the city has limited health facilities and that they “cannot afford a wide spread infection of COVID-19” there.

“Many people will die if we will not take action,” she said. “To wait for one positive patient before taking action is too late for everyone.”

She added that since health is a primary public concern, it is within her mandate to remind the public of what should be done.

“It is my obligation to do so,” she said.

Davao City is the hometown of President Rodrigo Duterte.

Duterte-Carpio earlier said she is under home quarantine as a precaution after a lunch meeting with Senator Sherwin Gatchalian who was in contact with virus-infected guest at the Senate.

Gatchalian and several of his colleagues are also under self-quarantine.

The Philippines has so far recorded 52 confirmed infections, with five fatalities.

Due to the growing number of coronavirus cases, the country has been placed under a state of public health emergency by the president.

He also placed Metro Manila under a month-long community quarantine beginning March 15 to April 14 as most of the cases were reported in the region.

Davao City requires RT-PCR testing for 1st to 3rd gen close contacts of confirmed COVID-19 case

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 8, 2021

First to third-generation close contacts of confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases will now be required to undergo Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) testing, according to the Davao City Government.

Vice Mayor and acting Davao City Mayor Sebastian Z. Duterte ordered the mandatory swabbing of all F1, F2, and F3 close contacts of a confirmed COVID-19 case which will be effective until December 31, 2021.

He issued Executive Order (E.O.) No. 20, Series of 2021, known as “An Order Providing For Mandatory Swabbing Of All F1, F2, and F3 Contacts of an RT-PCR Confirmed Positive Case of COVID-19 in Davao City.”

As stated in the EO, the acting mayor said, “There is a need to expand the testing of contacts beyond the F1 category as an attempt to control the transmission of the virus.”

He also cited the need to recalibrate strategies to prevent and control COVID-19 transmission in Davao City amid the surge of cases in the National Capital Region (NCR).

Vice Mayor Duterte is the acting mayor of Davao City from April 6 to 10 while her sister Mayor Inday Sara Duterte took a leave for health reasons. AAC

IATF bars NCR Plus, cities of Cebu, Davao from entering Region 6

Robie de Guzman   •   April 5, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) has temporarily suspended inbound passenger travel to Western Visayas (Region 6) for people coming from the areas of NCR Plus, Cebu City, and Davao City, Malacañang said on Monday.

In a virtual press briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the suspension of inbound passenger travel will last until April 10.

Roque said IATF’s decision is in response to the request of local officials in Region 6 amid the surge in cases in Metro Manila and nearby provinces.

Western Visayas is composed of the provinces of Aklan, Antique, Capiz, Guimaras, Iloilo, and Negros Occidental. World-famous Boracay Island is also located in Western Visayas.

Local government units in Region 6 last week separately issued executive orders closing off provincial borders, as well as for the imposition of curfew and liquor ban in a bid to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The National Capital Region, Bulacan, Cavite, Rizal, and Laguna – collectively called as NCR Plus – were initially placed under enhanced community quarantine (EQC) from March 29 to April 4 to restrict the public’s mobility and curb the rise in coronavirus cases.

It was later extended to April 11 by the national government.

Davao City has been placed under general community quarantine (GCQ) while Cebu City is under modified GCQ for the month of April.

The Philippines has so far recorded 795,051 infections with 646,100 recoveries and 13,425 deaths.

Philippines reports largest daily rise of 8,773 new COVID-19 cases

Aileen Cerrudo   •   March 25, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—The Philippines has logged another record high of 8,773 new COVID-19 cases in a day.

Based on latest bulletin of the Department of Health (DOH), as of  Thursday (March 25), the new infections pushed the country’s total COVID-19 tally to 693,048; of which 99,891 are active cases.

DOH also reported 574 patients have recovered from the viral disease, bringing the recovery count to 580,062.

The death toll also rose to 13,095 with 56 new fatalities.

Out of the confirmed cases 98% of them are mild or asymptomatic.

Quezon City, Manila, and Cavite are among the top cities/provinces with the highest number of COVID-19 cases. The case count in Quezon City is at 55,607. Manila has recorded 38,298 cases while Cavite has logged 32,792.

The Health Department also reported that bed occupancy rate is at 43.1% with 12,798 occupied beds. AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.