Death toll from Davao mall fire reaches 38

admin   •   December 28, 2017   •   3992


MANILA, Philippines — Authorities recovered the cadaver of NCCC Mall employee Melvin Gaa on Tuesday, adding to the death toll of the massive fire that engulfed the mall in Davao City last Saturday.

Gaa was a mall safety officer mall and part of the emergency action team who assisted in the escape of 83 agents of the US-based call center Survey System International (SSI) and 700 mall personnel and visitors.

Meanwhile, forensic experts are still determining whether the cadaver recovered from the mall belongs to Mikko Demafeliz or Alexandra Moreno.

“Thirty-eight had been missing, 37 were recovered, and 36 were identified. One is still being unidentified. So there are two persons on the missing list. One is the relative of Demafeliz. They have undergone DNA testing and they said they are not sure so they will wait for DNA,” said Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio.

The management of the NCCC Mall and the call center company SSI vowed to provide cash assistance and scholarships for the relatives of the individuals who died in the fire.

Meanwhile, the city mayor noted that the investigation into the cause of the massive fire might take longer.

“So I guess, it is best if we wait for the official report coming from the task force because the national office of Bureau of Fire will take it. It will be an inter-agency investigation, other offices of the government will be part of the task force including the city government of Davao,” said the mayor.

With the help of the National Bureau of Fire Protection and other government agencies, the task force that will be created will be tasked to submit a report regarding the accident.

Rey Pelayo | UNTV News & Rescue

Davao City requires RT-PCR testing for 1st to 3rd gen close contacts of confirmed COVID-19 case

Aileen Cerrudo   •   April 8, 2021

First to third-generation close contacts of confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases will now be required to undergo Reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) testing, according to the Davao City Government.

Vice Mayor and acting Davao City Mayor Sebastian Z. Duterte ordered the mandatory swabbing of all F1, F2, and F3 close contacts of a confirmed COVID-19 case which will be effective until December 31, 2021.

He issued Executive Order (E.O.) No. 20, Series of 2021, known as “An Order Providing For Mandatory Swabbing Of All F1, F2, and F3 Contacts of an RT-PCR Confirmed Positive Case of COVID-19 in Davao City.”

As stated in the EO, the acting mayor said, “There is a need to expand the testing of contacts beyond the F1 category as an attempt to control the transmission of the virus.”

He also cited the need to recalibrate strategies to prevent and control COVID-19 transmission in Davao City amid the surge of cases in the National Capital Region (NCR).

Vice Mayor Duterte is the acting mayor of Davao City from April 6 to 10 while her sister Mayor Inday Sara Duterte took a leave for health reasons. AAC

IATF bars NCR Plus, cities of Cebu, Davao from entering Region 6

Robie de Guzman   •   April 5, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) has temporarily suspended inbound passenger travel to Western Visayas (Region 6) for people coming from the areas of NCR Plus, Cebu City, and Davao City, Malacañang said on Monday.

In a virtual press briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the suspension of inbound passenger travel will last until April 10.

Roque said IATF’s decision is in response to the request of local officials in Region 6 amid the surge in cases in Metro Manila and nearby provinces.

Western Visayas is composed of the provinces of Aklan, Antique, Capiz, Guimaras, Iloilo, and Negros Occidental. World-famous Boracay Island is also located in Western Visayas.

Local government units in Region 6 last week separately issued executive orders closing off provincial borders, as well as for the imposition of curfew and liquor ban in a bid to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

The National Capital Region, Bulacan, Cavite, Rizal, and Laguna – collectively called as NCR Plus – were initially placed under enhanced community quarantine (EQC) from March 29 to April 4 to restrict the public’s mobility and curb the rise in coronavirus cases.

It was later extended to April 11 by the national government.

Davao City has been placed under general community quarantine (GCQ) while Cebu City is under modified GCQ for the month of April.

The Philippines has so far recorded 795,051 infections with 646,100 recoveries and 13,425 deaths.

Curfew at liquor ban sa Davao City, pinalawig sa kabila ng pagbaba ng COVID-19 cases

Robie de Guzman   •   March 25, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Pinalawig pa ng lokal na pamahalaan ng Davao City ang pagpapatupad ng curfew at liquor ban sa lungsod hanggang sa buwan ng Mayo sa kabila ng pagbaba ng kaso ng COVID-19.

Sa ilalim ng Executive Order 12A na inilabas nitong Miyerkules, mananatili hanggang Mayo 31 ang liquor ban at curfew upang maiwasan ang inuman at pagtitipon ng mga tao na ilan sa mga mga dahilan ng pagkalat ng COVID-19.

Ayon kay Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio, hindi dapat magpabaya ang publiko dahil nananatili pa rin ang banta ng coronavirus.

“We are still waiting for the possible second wave. At kung mangyari ang second wave ibabalik pa rin nating ang liquor ban at curfew. So ipagpapatuloy na lng natin ‘yan sa ngayon para hindi siya makapag-create ng confusion,” ani Duterte.

Sa Marso 31 orihinal na nakatalagang magtapos ang 24/7 liquor ban at ang curfew hours na mula alas-9 ng gabi hanggang alas-4 ng madaling araw.

Hindi naman sakop ng curfew ang mga may trabaho at nag-o-operate ng negosyo, batay sa kautusan.

Sa ngayon ay mayroong 258 na aktibong mga kaso ng COVID-19 sa lungsod. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Lucille Lloren)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.