Dengue cases in CARAGA region rises to 5,800; death toll 17
Aileen Cerrudo • June 21, 2019 • 2204
Dengue cases in CARAGA region has climbed to 5,800 while death toll raised to 17 since January of this year, higher compared to the same period last year.
The Department of Health is alarmed by the increase of dengue cases in the region after the number more than doubled from only 1,173 cases to 5,800. Death toll also rose to 17 in January from four deaths last year.
Based on the investigation of the DOH, late diagnosis and late treatment were one of the major reasons that caused the death of 17 dengue patients.
Doctors in the region reiterate the importance of medical checkups.
“Seek early consultation sa panahon na meron tayong nakikitang myembro ng ating pamilya na may lagnat lampas pa sa dalawang araw at may pang hihina. Kailangan tayong lumapit sa ating malapit na mga health center para sa pagpakunsulta, (Seek early consultation if we have a family member who is experiencing fever for more than two daysincluding extreme fatigue. You need to go to the nearest health center for consultation),” said Dr. Glee Valendoza, Medical Officer III/ Infectious Cluster Head, DOH 13.
The department also reminds the public to use the 4-S against dengue especially in residences near waterways.—AAC (with reports from Raymond Octobre)
The Department of Health (DOH) is looking into 77 hospitals that are facing complaints for illegally detaining patients due to ‘unsettled’ hospital bills.
DOH Secretary Francisco Duque III assured that patients who experienced illegal detention by the hospitals will be given justice. He also added that the cases are expected to be resolved by March 2020.
Duque said that Republic Act No. 9439 or Anti-Hospital Detention Law, it is prohibited for patients to be illegally detained due to unpaid hospital bills.
He also reminded hospitals that they cannot choose patients and there is no guarantee that all patients have the capability to pay their hospital bills.
“Ang mga nakasuhan, karamihan mga pribadong mga opistal na ayaw paalisin ang mga pasyente komo hindi makabayad. (The accused, most of them are private hospitals who refused their patients to leave because they cannot settle their bill)” he said.
The 77 pending complaints are currently being reviewed by the DOH’s Health Facilities Oversight Board (HFOB). Several of the complaints were filed in 2018.—AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)
MANILA, Philippines – The death toll on the onslaught of Typhoon Tisoy (International Name: Kammuri) has now reached 13.
According to the Philippine National Police (PNP) Region 5 data, five were confirmed dead in the Bicol region, with one person recorded injured.
The Mimaropa Public Information Office, on the other hand, reported four fatalities in Oriental Mindoro and one in the province of Marinduque.
Calabarzon recorded two deaths in Quezon Province, while Leyte reported one fatality in Ormoc City.
So far, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) has not issued an official death toll on Tisoy’s aftermath.
NDRRMC spokesperson Mark Timbal said they are still verifying the reported fatalities.
The families of deceased victims will be given P20,000 financial aid, while those who were injured by the typhoon will be handed out P10,000.
The agency is still conducting damage assessment in infrastructure and agriculture.
“Yung assessment po sa Bicol at sa Samar provinces na dinaanan ng bagyo, ongoing. At nakikita po natin na ‘yung mga reports na nagkaroon ng mga pagbaha doon sa area, ito po’y unti-unting pinapadala sa atin ng mga kasamahan natin from the ground,” Timbal said.
The latest data from the NDRRMC said more than 100,000 families or over 400,000 individuals in Regions 3, 5, 8, NCR and Mimaropa were evacuated from their homes.
The NDRRMC has assured that relief goods are available and ready to be distributed in case affected provinces, even those under a state of calamity, will signify their need for additional supplies. (with inputs from Harlene Delgado) /mbmf
The Department of Health (DOH) has warned the public against unregistered medical devices that are being sold in online shops.
This includes wound dressing and gauze without a certificate of product registration (CPR) from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
DOH Health Regulation Team Assistant Secretary Atty. Charade Mercado-Grande has advised that the public should verify they are buying from a legitimate medical supplier or pharmacy when buying medical supplies, devices, and medicines.
Grande also said that pharmacies should also get a license for online ordering.
“Pharmacies should get license for online ordering so people can order medicines from them online [but] it’s for pick-up and not for delivery,” she said.
The FDA already released an advisory to the public to refrain from buying unregistered medical devices online.
“Pursuant to the Republic Act No. 9711, otherwise known as the “Food and Drug Administration Act of 2009”, the manufacture, importation, exportation, sale, offering for sale, distribution, transfer, non-consumer use, promotion, advertising or sponsorship of health products without the proper authorization is prohibited,” the advisory reads.
The FDA assures violators will face regulatory actions and sanctions.—AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.