Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

DepEd demands explanation after school owner burns students’ valuables in Bicol

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Sunday, August 19th, 2018

The burnt remains of a student’s backpack

 

BICOL, Philippines – A video of a man badmouthing a group of senior high school students in Bicol trended on social media over the weekend.

The students were from Bicol Central Academy (BCA) and the man yelling at them was school owner-administrator James Jaucian, an incumbent councilor of the second district of Libmanan, Camarines Sur.

According to the students, they were supposed to serve as teaching substitutes to lower grade students as the teachers were having a seminar at the nearby building.

The ruckus sparked when Jaucian scolded the students for bringing in their school things in large bags instead of small slings, citing that such items would only distract them.

Angry parents immediately rushed to the school upon learning of the incident.

Salita Vacaro, parent of one of the students, had been waiting in front of the principal’s office to demand an explanation, but none of the staff accommodated her.  She was told that no one in authority was there to explain the matter.

Vacaro and other parents appealed to Jaucian to explain and to pay for the valuables that were damaged. The items included cellular phones, laptop computers and ATM cards of some students.

Meanwhile, DepEd Regional Director 5 Gilbert Sadsad admitted that they have not received any information yet about the burning incident but he promised to delved into the issue and investigate further.

School Division Superintendent Cecille Bernadette Rivera, in a text message to UNTV, said that: “Private schools are still under our supervision. We sent a letter to BCA, Mr. Jaucianm, for his explanation on the issue and why he cannot be sanctioned.”

Sadsad said authorities are now investigating on the matter.- Allan Manansala / Marje Pelayo

 

Tags: , ,

Bicol school administrator ordered 3-month suspension over burning incident

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, August 22nd, 2018

 

Provincial Board Member and Bicol Central Academy administrator Alexander James Jaucian via Facebook

BICOL, Philippines – Three months suspension without pay.

This was the decision of the Board of Trustees of Bicol Central Academy (BCA) against James Jaucian, the school administrator who went viral on social media for burning the personal belongings of some senior high school students last week.

The Board also ordered him to pay for all the students’ personal items that were burned.

In a dialogue on Wednesday (August 22), Jaucian personally apologized to the parents of the affected students as part of the sanction.

But though Jaucian admitted his wrongdoing, he argued that what he did was a disciplinary action for the students’ disobedience as they were asked not to bring in personal belongings in large backpacks on Tatsumaki Day, a school event when senior high school students are asked to teach lower grades.

Meanwhile, Department of Education (DepEd) Region 5 Director Gilbert Sadsad has recommended the revocation of BCA’s license to operate a senior high school program following the incident and asked Jaucian not to meddle with the school’s operation until further notice.

Also, DepEd recommended the entire school system to undergo guidance counseling and social media ethics seminar. Consequently, the agency has ordered revision of the school’s code of discipline in line with the incident.

The Education department appeals to the public not to politicize the matter especially because it involves minors. – Allan Manansala / Marje Pelayo

Tags: ,

Bicol school risks closure after burning incident goes viral

by UNTV News   |   Posted on Tuesday, August 21st, 2018

Bicol Central Academy

 

A school in Bicol is in danger of being shut down after it went viral when its administrator started burning the students’ belongings.

Department of Education (DepEd) Undersecretary Ann Sevilla said the incident could lead to the revocation of the school’s permit to operate.

“After the investigation, if we see that there is a violation in the provisions of the private school, including dito iyong disciplinary action na dapat na ginagawa ng mga private school, we can review, assess kung pwede nating i-suspend, cancel or revoke ang permit to operate ng isang private school.”

The Bicol Central Academy (BCA) in Libmanan, Camarines Sur went viral over the weekend after  a video that showed the school administrator scolding the students while burning their schoolbags, was uploaded on social media.

The administrator was identified as Alexander James Jaucian who is also a provincial board member in Camarines Sur and one of the school’s owners.

Jaucian allegedly scolded the students for bringing large bags instead of small slings as per school policy

Based on DepEd Order no. 88, Jaucian’s action was a clear violation of the department’s rules on disciplining students.

Even though the school has a no-bag policy, Sevilla said burning the students’ bags was overkill; confiscation would’ve been more appropriate.

DeEd has sent four guidance counselors to BCA to conduct psychosocial debriefing among 25-30 students whose belongings were burned.

Sevilla also called on the parents to file a formal complaint against the school administrator so that he can be penalized accordingly.

She said DepEd will not tolerate such behavior among private schools.

“Where there is an abuse of authority and you have an occurrence na iyong anak niyo ay naabuso (wherein your child is being abused), then it is a chance for you to collectively work. Let’s make use of the Parents Teachers Association,” Sevilla said. – Aiko Miguel

Tags: , ,

Police arrest gunman in Camarines Sur judge slay

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Wednesday, June 13th, 2018

 

 

CAMARINES SUR, Philippines – Authorities arrested Wednesday, June 13, the suspect in the murder of Judge Ricky Begino of the Metropolitan Circuit Trial Court in San Jose, Lagonoy, Camarines Sur.

The suspect, Wilfredo Armea, shot Begino in the nape Tuesday night, June 12, while he was on his way home.

Police Regional Office (PRO) 5 Director PCSupt. Antonio Gardiola said they are still verifying motive for the killing.

“The motive is, accordingly still to be confirmed from our investigation, is land dispute,” Gardiola said.

Acting Chief Justice Antonio Carpio condemned the killing of Begino. In a statement released Wednesday, the Supreme Court (SC) calls on authorities for the immediate resolution of the crime and arrest of the perpetrators. – Lea Ylagan / Marje Pelayo

Tags: ,