‘Destroyer of reputation’: Trillanes’ return to jail, possible – Malacañang

Marje Pelayo   •   May 27, 2019   •   9278

FILE PHOTO: Sen. Antonio Trillanes in a press conference at Ilustrado in Intramuros on July 1, 2014. | PVI/Willie Sy

MANILA, Philippines – Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo in a statement wished outgoing Senator Antonio Trillanes IV the best of luck as he may need it once he exits the Senate.

“While many will wish Mr. Trillanes good riddance as he is about to leave the hallowed halls of the Senate at the end of June of this year, we will instead wish him luck as he faces another prospect of being placed behind bars again as the self-confessed black propagandist turns against his master, even as his victims look forward to seeing the Senate, or better yet the Government, without the cantankerously obnoxious coup plotter,” Panelo said.

This was Panelo’s response to Trillanes following the senator’s latest rant on Twitter.

“Ayan ka na naman. Hindi ka pa nga nakakabawi sa kapalpakan mo dun sa inimbento mong offshore bank accounts na bintang mo sakin pati na rin dun sa mga sinabi mo laban sa Nanay ko, tapos may bago ka na namang bintang. This time si Bikoy naman ang source mo. Henyo ka talaga, Duts,” Trillanes said on his post referring President Rodrigo Duterte as “Duts”.

Just recently, President Duterte tagged Trillanes as “shameless” for ruining the Senate and for using his power as senator to run after people.

“You are shameless. You are not even a man,” Duterte said during a thanksgiving party for Senator-elect Bong Go.

Panelo said, Trillanes should answer the accusations of Peter Joemel Advincula (alias Bikoy) against him.

“The outgoing Senator should first address the serious allegation pointing to him as the mastermind and in conspiracy with certain political leaders identified with the opposition of the unlawful plot to topple the Duterte Administration,” the Presidential Spokesperson said.

Panelo said throughout Trillanes’ service in the Senate, he just proved himself as a “destroyer of reputations of people”.

With that reputation, Panelo believes Trillanes’ exit from the Senate will be his “great service to the nation.”

Trillanes’ term as senator ends in June this year.

The outgoing senator, meanwhile, posted a taunting reply to the Presidential Spokesperson.

“Panelo’s long press release betrays his and Duterte’s obsession about me. While, I’m supposed to feel good knowing that I have successfully gotten under their skin, but coming from somebody like Panelo, it somehow feels creepy,” he said in a tweet. — Marje Pelayo (with details from Rosalie Coz)

Duterte reactivates El Niño task force

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 16, 2019

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte

President Rodrigo Duterte reactivated the El Niño task force this week after reports of recurrence of El Niño phenomenon.

The Memorandum No. 38, signed by Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea on Tuesday (Aug 13) aims to mitigate the effects of El Niño.

“Recent monitoring and analyses of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) – Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical, and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) indicate that the warm sea surface temperature fully developed into the El Niño phenomenon,” according to the memorandum.

READ: PAGASA: 17 provinces face drought due to El Niño

The task force will submit a monthly report to the president through the executive secretary on the implementation of the memorandum order.

PAGASA previously said the dry spell might continue until August.—AAC

Malacañang leaves it to PAO Chief to decide on resigning amid corruption complaint

Marje Pelayo   •   August 15, 2019

Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) Chief Persida Acosta

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang is letting Atty. Persida Acosta to decide on whether or not to resign as Chief of the Public Attorney’s Office (PAO) following complaints of corruption.

PAO lawyers filed the complaint at the Office of the Ombudsman accusing the PAO Chief and forensics chief Erwin Erfe of corrupt practices in relation to the disbursements and allocation of the PAO budget.

Acosta and Erfe allegedly committed a ‘systematic scheme’ in diverting P13 million of the agency’s budget for office supplies for drafting Dengvaxia-related cases.

Presidential Spokesman Secretary Salvador Panelo, meanwhile, said that knowing President Rodrigo Duterte, his trust in his officials remains unless reports of irregularities are proven.

“Si President, hangga’t walang findings of probable cause, palaging andun ang trust (President (Duterte’s) trust on a person remains unless there is no finding of a probable cause),” Panelo said.

“Pero kung may probable cause na, ibang usapan iyon, then there will be suspension galing sa Ombudsman. Hindi naman teritoryo ni president iyon (But once a probable cause is established, that’s a different story. There will be suspension coming from the Ombudsman. It is no longer the President’s territory),” the Palace Spokesman concluded. – MNP (with details from Mai Bermudez)

Malacañang wants China to explain ‘offending passage’ of warships in Sibutu Strait

Marje Pelayo   •   August 15, 2019

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang wants Chinese Ambassador to the Philippines Zhao Jinhua to explain the unauthorized passage of Chinese warships in Sibutu Strait in Tawi-Tawi which the Philippine government considers as “offending”.

The Philippine military couldn’t consider it an ‘innocent passage’ because the vessel maneuvered and the crew turned off the vessel’s automatic identification systems (AIS) perhaps to avoid being noticed.

Presidential Spokesperson and Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Secretary Salvador Panelo said he will definitely raise the matter to Ambassador Zhao.

“We will call their attention,” he said.

“The Chinese ambassador invited me for a dinner one of these days and maybe I will raise that to him,” he added.

The Palace stressed such unauthorized move was a clear violation of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS).

“Violation ng UNCLOS iyan kung dumaraan sa ating EEZ (That’s violation of the UNCLOS if they pass/enter our EEZ),” Panelo said.

“I’m sure the DFA Secretary will do something about that,” he added.

President Rodrigo Duterte is set to travel to China later this month and according to Panelo, President Duterte maintains he will insist The Hague’s arbitral ruling with Chinese President Xi Jinping even if China is not accepting the decision. – MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+63) 396-8688 (Tel)

(+63) 2 920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+63) 396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+63) 2 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.