DILG wants Manila LGU to explain poor performance on gov’t war on drugs

Marje Pelayo   •   December 17, 2019   •   639

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) is demanding an explanation from the local government of Manila why it failed the government’s illegal drugs campaign.

Based on the 2018 Anti-Drug Abuse Council (ADAC) Performance Audit, the city of Manila received 48% failure functionality rating among the cities across Metro Manila.

According to DILG Undersecretary Rico Judge Echiverri, drug functionality of the anti-drug abuse council in the city has been low from 2016 to 2018.

Echiverri clarified, however, that it is not incumbent Mayor Isko Domagoso who should solely shoulder the blame but the LGU itself and the former officials, particularly, former Mayor Joseph Estrada.

“But again, we have to give the show cause order. Remember we are filing cases not on the person but on the institution, which is the City of Manila,” Echiverri explained.

“So kahit hindi si Mayor Isko ang (So even if it’s not Mayor Isko who is) accountable, he has to answer still to the poor performance of Manila City,” he added.

Meanwhile, the DILG is pushing for a bill that would penalize local officials who do not act on the government’s campaign against illegal drugs.

Under the ADAC bill, a local official may be put in jail and may be stripped of his chance for public service.

“Fine or suspension wala iyan. Hindi nila iniinda, pero ilagay mo as one of the provisions perpetual to run, tingnan mo kung di matakot ang mga yan, (Fine or suspension is something they will just ignore. But put it as one of the perpetual provisions to run, let’s see if they would dare),” Echiverri noted.

The bill is expected to progress at the Lower House through presidential son Congressman Paulo Duterte while Senator Ronald Dela Rosa is expected to propel on the approval of the bill at the Upper House. – MNP (with details from Dante Amento)

Tricycles, sidecars still banned on national highways, DILG clarifies

Robie de Guzman   •   June 5, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – Tricycles and pedicabs are still prohibited from traversing national highways in all areas under general community quarantine (GCQ) and modified GCQ, the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) clarified on Friday.

The DILG said it issued the clarification following a consultation with Secretary Eduardo Año, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, and Department of Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade.

The statement follows Roque’s announcement on Thursday that tricycles and sidecars will be allowed on national highways to augment limited public transportation.

“Nililinaw po ng DILG na bawal pa rin ang tricycles at pedicabs sa national highways kahit pa nasa GCQ o MGCQ level na ang ilang lokalidad,” DILG spokesperson and Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya said in a statement.

“Bago pa man magsimula ang pandemya ng COVID-19 corona ay ipinagbabawal na ito ng batas para na rin sa kaligtasan ng publiko,” he added.

Aside from Republic Act No. 4136 or the Land Transportation and Traffic Code, the DILG previously issued Memorandum Circulars (MCs) 2020-036, 2020-004, 2011-68, and 2007-11 prohibiting the operation of tricycles and pedicabs on national roads and prescribing the operating conditions and franchising of tricycles.

Malaya said that only road clearing operations are suspended due to novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, and that the power to prohibit tricycles from national highways lies on local government units (LGU) as provided by the law.

In the same statement, Año reiterated that tricycles are only allowed in secondary roads and that the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID) has directed these vehicles to only carry one passenger and no back-ride will be allowed in all GCQ and MGCQ areas.

The DILG chief also reiterated Roque’s pronouncement that mayors may not give authorization in allowing back ride in GCQ and MGCQ localities in line with the directive of the IATF.

“Ibayong pag-iingat pa rin po ang ipinapatupad kahit pa GCQ o MGCQ na. Batid man ng gobyerno ang daing sa transportasyon ay kailangang manguna pa rin ang pagsunod sa physical distancing at iba pang health safety protocol dahil hindi pa naman po nawawala ang banta ng COVID-19. ‘Di pa tayo puwedeng maging kampante,” Año said.

“Ang pamamasada ng tricycles sa secondary roads ay konsiderasyon sa mga tricycle drivers na nakasalalay ang kabuhayan dito subalit kailangang sundin ang mga pag-iingat na bahagi na ng ating ‘new normal’,” he stressed.

Malaya also emphasized that tricycle drivers must wear face masks or face shields, gloves, and allow only one passenger per trip in observance of physical distancing, except during medical emergency wherein the patient needs to be accompanied.

The DILG likewise reminded LGUs that all forms of public transport vehicles, terminals, and facilities should be regularly disinfected.

To observe physical distancing, the department directed all public utility vehicles (PUV) to only ferry 50% of their seating capacity.

Physical distancing must also be implemented in the queueing for boarding the vehicle and upon entering the terminal premises.

Malaya also said that transportation for medical frontline workers should be continuously provided.

“Priority shall be given to medical frontliners in terms of access to public transportation, which should include free transport services, provision of government transportation, and priority in terminals and in PUVs,” he said in reference to MC 2020-083.

DILG lauds 828 LGUs for completing SAP payout ahead of deadline

Marje Pelayo   •   May 6, 2020

MANILA, Philippines — Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año on Wednesday (May 6) lauded the efforts of 828 local government units (LGUs) across the country that have completed the payout of the first tranche of the Social Amelioration Program (SAP) cash aid to poor families in their localities and have met the deadline.

Good job sa ating mga LGUs na naipamahagi na sa mga mahihirap na pamilya ang SAP cash subsidy (Good job to LGUs who have completed the distribution SAP cash subsidy to poor families),” he said.

“Pinapatunayan lamang nito ang inyong pagmamalasakit sa inyong mga constituents, (It just proves that you really care for your constituents),” he added.

Secretary Año, however, urged local executives of the 828 LGUs to liquidate immediately. 

Ang next challenge sa inyo ay makapag-liquidate kaagad (Your next challenge is to immediately liquidate) and account for our each centavo of this taxpayer’s money to the DSWD,” he added.

LGUs that completed SAP distribution on deadline includes:

  • 56 – Cordillera Administrative Region; 
  • 38 – Ilocos Region; 
  • 31 – Cagayan Valley;
  • 36 – Central Luzon;
  • 63 – CALABARZON;
  • 62 – MIMAROPA;
  • 70 – Bicol Region;
  • 114 – Western Visayas;
  • 52 – Central Visayas;
  • 95 – Eastern Visayas;
  • 71 – Zamboanga Peninsula; 
  • 17 – Northern Mindanao; 
  • 26 – Davao Region; 
  • 32 – SOCCSKSARGEN; 
  • 65 – Caraga.

Meanwhile, LGUs who have not yet completed the payout were ordered to work double time as many of the beneficiaries are severely affected by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) crisis. 

“One moment of delay or inaction means additional hours of suffering of poor families in your localities.   Let us not keep them waiting and let us show them that the government truly cares for them,” he said.

SAP distribution for provincial LGUs ended on May 4, 2020.

Meanwhile, Metro Manila LGUs as well as the provinces of Cavite, Rizal, Laguna, Bulacan, and Cebu and Davao City were given until May 7 to complete the payout in consideration to the areas’ high-density population. 

DILG orders Metro Manila LGUs to activate task force to curb COVID-19 spread

Robie de Guzman   •   March 9, 2020

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) on Monday ordered local government units (LGU) in the National Capital Region (NCR) to activate their respective task forces to help in monitoring and stopping the spread of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the communities.

DILG Secretary Eduardo Año issued the directive following the declaration of Code Red sublevel 1 by the Department of Health (DOH) on Saturday after confirming that the sixth patient, the wife of the previously reported fifth case in San Juan City, is the country’s first case of local transmission of the virus.

The Code Red sublevel 1 alert is issued when a local transmission is recorded.

“Local transmissions pose greater chances for the virus to spread and that’s the last thing we want to happen. Kaya naman inaatasan ko ang mga LGU ng NCR to activate their LCTF o Local COVID-19 Task Force to prevent the situation from escalating,” Año said in a statement.

He added that local COVID-19 task forces in NCR “must work double time to ensure that further spread of the virus will be halted.”

Año said the task force shall direct the Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office and Local City Health Office, upon receiving the referrals from the DOH-Emergency Operations Center, to coordinate directly with, and transport, the symptomatic persons to the nearest DOH referral facility for testing.

The symptomatic persons will immediately undergo triage which will determine if the person is a severe case or a mild case.

If the patient is found to be a mild case, the ambulance will be directed to bring the patient confirmed as Persons under Investigation (PUIs) to the nearest DOH-designated hospital for treatment. If found to be a severe case, the patient will be put on isolation or will be admitted to a medical facility.

“The LCTF shall always be on top of all related situations and concerns, and coordinate closely with the DOH-Center for Health Development,” Año said.

All DILG city directors are likewise directed to coordinate with their local chief executives, which will work closely with the DOH regional office.

“It is only through cooperation and vigilance can we guarantee that this virus will not be a greater threat in our country kaya inaasahan ang patuloy na pakikipagtulungan ng lahat ng LGU sa iba pang sangay ng pamahalaan lalo na sa DOH,” the DILG chief said.

Año also reported that 25,411 barangays in the country have already organized their Health Emergency Response Team (BHERT) which can aid in controlling further community transmissions of the virus.

The team is comprised of an executive officer, a barangay tanod, and two barangay health workers, one of them a nurse or a midwife, as appointed by the Punong Barangay.

Part of its responsibility is to monitor the community through home visitation of arriving passengers from a coronavirus-infected country within the locality, ensuring that all residents are accounted for.

The Philippines currently has 10 COVID-19 cases.

Worldwide, the virus has killed 3,639 people with 106,893 confirmed cases in 103 countries, according to World Health Organization’s coronavirus dashboard data.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.