DOH calls on the public to help in community kitchens at evacuation centers

UNTV News   •   July 14, 2017   •   3808

IMAGE_UNTV_NEWS_071317_EVACUATION CENTER

MANILA, Philippines — 52 days into the armed conflict in Mindanao, evacuees received food donations in the form of canned goods and noodles.

Because of this, the Department of Health (DOH) is worried about the health of evacuees if they continuously consume such food.

This is why the DOH is urging the public to provide food donations for the community kitchens it will set up at evacuation centers where food will be cooked and served for the evacuees.

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has initially called for food donations in the form of beans, or dried fish.

“We are calling on the public to donate to our kitchen so that the evacuees can eat healthy food. Because it’s not easy to always consume canned sardines or any canned goods,” DOH Asec. Eric Tayag said.

The National Nutrition Council (NNC) has also deployed nutritionists from their regional offices.

There are also barangay nutritional scholars at evacuation centers to ensure that evacuees get proper nutrition.

There are now two community kitchens in Region 10 set up by a group of modern mothers from Cagayan de Oro and of the Momtrepreneur Inc.

“They are setting up the community kitchens.  If they have canned goods, noodles at least we should mix them with egg or vegetables,” NNC deputy executive director, Dr. Azucena Dayanghirang said.

NNC reminded mothers at evacuation centers to continue breastfeeding for their babies so they can get proper nutrition.

“We really would like to advocate for continuous breastfeeding because breast milk is still best for babies .  From zero to birth up to six months exclusive breastfeeding and the continue breastfeeding until 2nd birthday of the baby,“ Dayanghirang said.

The DOH hopes that the crisis in Mindanao would soon end to avoid evacuees from becoming ill due limited water supply and lack of nutritious food. – Aiko Miguel | UNTV News and Rescue

2.5 million vaccinated in day 1 of PH vaccination drive – DOH exec

Robie de Guzman   •   November 30, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – More than 2.5 million individuals were inoculated against COVID-19 on the first day of the government’s three-day nationwide vaccination drive, a Department of Health (DOH) official said Tuesday.

In a public briefing, DOH Undersecretary Myrna Cabotaje said a total of 2,554,023 doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered on Monday.

This is 2.5 times the daily average last week, she added.

Of the total doses, the biggest chunk was administered in Calabarzon, followed by Central Luzon, Western Visayas, and Bicol regions.

Cabotaje, who also chairs the National Vaccination Operations Center, noted that the only “major challenge” they encountered in the first day of the vaccination drive were reports that some walk-ins at vaccination sites were not given the shots.

“Meron pong direktiba ang ating Presidente to vaccinate everyone… We allow walks-ins. Dapat po, walang uuwi na nakapila na hindi nabakunahan,” she said.

The government on Monday kicked off its three-day vaccination campaign, dubbed as “Bayanihan, Bakunahan” program, which aims to inoculate around 9 million people.

The campaign will end on Wednesday, December 1.

The National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19 earlier said the vaccination drive will only be the first leg of the program, which is focused on scaling up the inoculation rate of local government units for the first vaccine dose by covering up to 70% of their target populations.

The second leg of the vaccination event will be held from December 15 to 17, which will focus on ramping up the number of fully vaccinated individuals to achieve the government’s target of fully vaccinating at least 54 million Filipinos by year-end.

Duque says entry of Omicron variant to PH ‘a matter of when’

Robie de Guzman   •   November 30, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Department of Health (DOH) Secretary Francisco Duque III believes that it is only a matter of time before the newly discovered Omicron COVID-19 variant reaches the country.

“It’s not a matter of ‘if,’ okay? It’s a matter of ‘when’,” said Duque when asked by President Rodrigo Duterte on the possibility of the Omicron variant entering the Philippines.

“So talagang iyan po, papasok ‘yan just as we have experienced with Alpha, Beta, Delta among the more compelling variants of concern, Mr. President,” he added.

Duque said that with the looming threat of the highly mutated and potentially more contagious variant, the Philippine government should intensify its major interventions against COVID-19.

These include the strict enforcement of the minimum public health standards, including the continued wearing of face masks and even face shields.

“Ang talagang face shield ay under the three 3C — 3Cs context in the closed spaces, mga-face shield, in crowded areas, in close-contact settings just like in the transport sector where people as we have increased the carrying capacities of our public utility vehicles. I think now with the threat of this Omicron variant, it will be an added layer of protection that will really be good for the public,” he said.

Duque also underscored the need for the country to widen its vaccination coverage to achieve herd immunity and have an edge against the new coronavirus variant.

“Massive vaccination rollout under your directive, Mr. President; we need to really widen and increase the vaccination coverage to reach population protection,” he said.

“Of course, the first milestone by the end of December 31st, we hope to be able to completely jab 54 million Filipinos and then by February of 2022, we should be able to realistically achieve 77 million Filipinos to be completely inoculated,” he added.

He then emphasized the importance of strengthening and preparing the country’s health systems capacity.

“Let’s take advantage of our low number of cases and prepare the health systems capacity again for the worst-case scenario,” he said.

The Omicron variant has yet to be detected in the Philippines.

To prevent its entry into the country, the government has expanded the Red List of countries that have reported the presence of the variant.

The Philippine government has recently expanded the Red List to include Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium, and Italy. This is in addition to South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Lesotho, Eswatini, and Mozambique that were earlier placed in the Red List due to the threat of Omicron, which was first detected in the region.

The Red List, which is effective from November 28 until December 15, means that travelers, regardless of their vaccination status, coming from or who have been to the Red List areas within the last 14 days prior to their arrival will not be allowed to enter the Philippines.

Only Filipinos returning to the country via government-initiated or non-government-initiated repatriation and Bayanihan Flights may be allowed entry. However, they will be subject to the prevailing entry, testing, and quarantine protocols for Red List territories.

 

Hindi lahat ng A3 sector kasama sa tatanggap ng COVID-19 vaccine booster dose – DOH

Robie de Guzman   •   November 22, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Nilinaw ng Department of Health (DOH) ngayong Lunes na hindi pa lahat ng persons with co-morbidities (A3 sector) ang maaaring mabigyan ng COVID-19 vaccine booster shot.

Ginawa ng DOH ang paglilinaw sa pagsisimula ng rollout ng booster dose para sa senior citizens (A2) at A3 groups.

Sa isang pahayag, sinabi ng DOH na ang makakasama lang sa booster dosing sa ngayon ay ang mga persons with co-morbidities na nasa immunocompromised state.

Ibig sabihin, ito ay ang mga nasa immunodeficiency state, people living with HIV, may active cancer o malignancy, transplant patients at mga pasyenteng sumasailalim sa immunosuppressive treatments.

Paliwanag ng DOH, ito pa lamang ang maaaring makatanggap sa ngayon ng vaccine boosters dahil sila ang higit na nangangailangan ng dagdag-proteksyon laban sa COVID-19.

May posibilidad ring bumaba na ang bisa ng bakuna na natanggap nila ilang buwan na ang nakalilipas.

Ayon sa DOH, iaanunsiyo ng National Vaccine Operations Center kung kailan maaaring makatanggap ng karagdagang vaccine shots ang natitirang populasyon ng A3 sector.

Pinapayuhan ng ahensiya ang mga eligible nang tumanggap ng third at booster shots na makipag-ugnayan sa nakakasakop na local government units para sa schedule ng pagpapabakuna.

Paalala rin ng DOH na dalhin ang kanilang ang vaccination card bilang katunayan na sila ay fully vaccinated na at handang tumanggap ng kanilang third dose. (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Aiko Miguel)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.