DOJ may issue travel alert order vs suspects in Dacera rape-slay
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) on Tuesday said it may issue a travel alert order against the suspects in the rape-slay case of 23-year-old flight attendant Christine Angelica Dacera.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said the travel alert will be issued as soon as appropriate charges have been filed with the prosecutor’s office.
“For now we’ll let the PNP (Philippine National Police) handle the case. As soon as the police file a complaint with the prosecutor’s office, we may issue a travel alert order to the BI,” Guevarra said in a message to reporters.
Three persons tagged in the killing have been placed under police custody while other suspects remain at large.
Police said the three have been charged with rape and homicide.
A manhunt operation will also be launched against nine other people who were present in the party before Dacera was found dead.
Police initial investigation showed that Dacera was invited to a party with some friends at the City Garden Hotel in Makati City on December 31.
It was also learned that other than Dacera and her friends, other people were also present in the party.
She was found lifeless in a bathtub in the hotel around noontime on January 1.
Police said that while Dacera suffered from aneurysm, investigators found laceration and bruises on her body, and other markings that indicate sexual contact.
The final autopsy report is expected to be released soon. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Dante Amento)
DOJ completes guidelines on the arrest of health protocol violators
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Justice (DOJ) has completed the guidelines in arresting violators of health and safety protocols.
In a statement, DOJ Secretary Menardo Guevarra said the department is ready to present the guidelines to the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG). He added that they will be coordinating with the DILG in a few days.
“The guidelines will not add anything to the substantive aspect. Only as to the procedure on arrest and detention until the filing of charges, if warranted,” he said.
President Rodrigo Duterte has previously ordered the DOJ to draft guidelines to avoid any complications concerning the arrest.
This will also prevent overcrowding in detention centers. Health and safety protocols will still be followed to avert the spread of the virus in detention centers.
“Fully aware of the complications that may arise from effecting arrests of persons not wearing face masks were required (such as the problem of congested jails or detention centers),” he added. AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)
DOJ, DILG crafting guidelines for Duterte order to detain people improperly wearing face masks
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) are crafting guidelines for the latest order of President Rodrigo Duterte to detain those who are improperly wearing face masks in public, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said Thursday.
In a message to reporters, Guevarra said the guidelines will include details on the booking and detention processes, as well as the investigation and the filing of charges against those who will be apprehended.
The DOJ chief, however, stressed that Duterte’s order takes effect immediately even if the guidelines are still being formulated.
“The President’s directive takes effect immediately even without the guidelines. Existing laws and ordinances define the prohibited acts and impose the corresponding penalties therefore, and the relevant rules of court govern the procedure,” Guevarra said.
He also advised the public to wear face masks properly and to follow the law to avoid being detained.
“The best way to avoid being arrested while the guidelines are being formulated is to wear a face mask and obey the law,” he said.
On Wednesday, Duterte ordered the Philippine National Police to impose a stricter mask mandate to stem the spread of COVID-19 that mostly affected urban centers.
De Lima now in stable condition, discharged from hospital
MANILA, Philippines — Senator Leila M. de Lima is now in stable condition and has been discharged from the hospital, according to her personal physicians.
In a statement, Dr. Dante Morales and Dr. Errol Rhett Santelices said the result of De Lima’s tests showed no evidence of stroke.
“The medical team who attended her case said De Lima experienced episodes of migraine headaches triggered by the hot environment, poor ventilation, and noise. This was associated with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo and reactive hypertension,” the statement reads.
Her personal physicians have recommended increasing ventilation in her detention quarters which is poorly ventilated and absorbs the summer heat.
It was also recommended that the senator undergo more tests should the symptoms recur.
The medical team also stressed that De Lima’s blood pressure and sugar level be regularly monitored. She was also advised to avoid stress.
De Lima was confined at the Manila Doctors Hospital for three days, from April 24-27, to undergo a medical examination.
De Lima thanked everyone who showed support, sent messages, and offered prayers for her recovery. AAC