MANILA, Philippines – Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Monday said he has ordered an investigation into the latest riot incident that erupted between gangs within the National Bilibid Prison (NBP) maximum security compound.
In a message to reporters, Guevarra said he already directed the National Bureau of Investigation to conduct a separate probe or expand its ongoing investigation into the previous violence.
He also ordered the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) to submit a detailed report on the incident as soon as possible.
The latest incidence of violence transpired in the NBP compound on Monday morning.
Three inmates were confirmed dead while 64 others were injured in the brawl that erupted at 8:39 a.m.
Based on the initial investigation, the BuCor said the incident was between members of Sigue-Sigue Sputnik and Sigue-Sigue Commando gangs.
The riot was contained around 10 a.m., the BuCor said, adding that its personnel is in the process of clearing the area.
The incident occurred exactly one month after a riot between members of the rival Sputnik and Commando gangs erupted inside the NBP maximum security compound that left nine inmates dead and several others injured.
Guevarra said part of the investigation would be looking into the possible negligence of BuCor officials.
“These BuCor officials should have learned their lesson from the previous violent incident where several PDLs (persons deprived of liberty) were killed,” he said.
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Justice (DOJ) has completed the guidelines in arresting violators of health and safety protocols.
In a statement, DOJ Secretary Menardo Guevarra said the department is ready to present the guidelines to the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG). He added that they will be coordinating with the DILG in a few days.
“The guidelines will not add anything to the substantive aspect. Only as to the procedure on arrest and detention until the filing of charges, if warranted,” he said.
President Rodrigo Duterte has previously ordered the DOJ to draft guidelines to avoid any complications concerning the arrest.
This will also prevent overcrowding in detention centers. Health and safety protocols will still be followed to avert the spread of the virus in detention centers.
“Fully aware of the complications that may arise from effecting arrests of persons not wearing face masks were required (such as the problem of congested jails or detention centers),” he added. AAC (with reports from Dante Amento)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) are crafting guidelines for the latest order of President Rodrigo Duterte to detain those who are improperly wearing face masks in public, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said Thursday.
In a message to reporters, Guevarra said the guidelines will include details on the booking and detention processes, as well as the investigation and the filing of charges against those who will be apprehended.
The DOJ chief, however, stressed that Duterte’s order takes effect immediately even if the guidelines are still being formulated.
“The President’s directive takes effect immediately even without the guidelines. Existing laws and ordinances define the prohibited acts and impose the corresponding penalties therefore, and the relevant rules of court govern the procedure,” Guevarra said.
He also advised the public to wear face masks properly and to follow the law to avoid being detained.
“The best way to avoid being arrested while the guidelines are being formulated is to wear a face mask and obey the law,” he said.
On Wednesday, Duterte ordered the Philippine National Police to impose a stricter mask mandate to stem the spread of COVID-19 that mostly affected urban centers.
MANILA, Philippines — Senator Leila M. de Lima is now in stable condition and has been discharged from the hospital, according to her personal physicians.
In a statement, Dr. Dante Morales and Dr. Errol Rhett Santelices said the result of De Lima’s tests showed no evidence of stroke.
“The medical team who attended her case said De Lima experienced episodes of migraine headaches triggered by the hot environment, poor ventilation, and noise. This was associated with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo and reactive hypertension,” the statement reads.
Her personal physicians have recommended increasing ventilation in her detention quarters which is poorly ventilated and absorbs the summer heat.
It was also recommended that the senator undergo more tests should the symptoms recur.
The medical team also stressed that De Lima’s blood pressure and sugar level be regularly monitored. She was also advised to avoid stress.
De Lima was confined at the Manila Doctors Hospital for three days, from April 24-27, to undergo a medical examination.
De Lima thanked everyone who showed support, sent messages, and offered prayers for her recovery. AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.