DPWH to sue driver of truck that caused part of Roxas Blvd. to collapse
Robie de Guzman • June 24, 2019 • 25884
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is planning to file charges against the driver of a dump truck which caused a part of the Roxas Boulevard to collapse on Sunday while it was transporting sand for the ongoing rehabilitation of Manila Bay.
DPWH district engineer Mikunug Macud said they would file charges against the driver of the 14-wheeled truck for violating the load limit and passing through a secondary road where trucks are banned from traversing.
The incident happened at past 1:00 a.m. along Roxas Boulevard corner Remedios street in Ermita, Manila.
The truck, which came from Pampanga, was heading to Manila Baywalk to deliver tons of sand for the Manila Bay rehabilitation project when it fell into a hole.
According to the truck driver, he was supposed to take Roxas Boulevard’s main road but traffic law enforcers allegedly directed them to pass through the service road to give way to a fun run event.
Macud said the truck carrying sand weighed about 42 tons while the Remedios street could only accommodate 20 tons.
The portion of the road that collapsed was built over a double barrel box culvert, which served as one of the city’s main drainage system. It was built in the 1970s.
“Dapat ang driver, alam niya ‘yung dapat daanan niya… hindi naman siya talaga dapat dumaan diyan kasi mayroon naman silang mga designated area,” Macud said.
The Remedios street was temporarily closed to traffic as authorities are still trying to extricate the truck out of the hole.
The DPWH hopes to immediately remove the truck to commence repairs on the damaged road. (with details from Asher Cadapan Jr.)
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) announced that a new health facility has already been completed in southern Metro Manila through the collaboration between the government and the private sector.
In a DPWH Facebook post on Monday (May 12), Secretary Mark A. Villar said the 9th “We Heal as One” Center that was put up at Filinvest Tent in Alabang, Muntinlupa City is seen to augment government’s efforts against the COVID-19 pandemic.
In preparation for the turnover of the facility to the IATFMEID on May 13, DPWH Undersecretary Emil K. Sadain, DPWH Build Build Build Committee Chairperson Anna Mae Lamentillo, DPWH COVID-19 Committee Vice-Chair Engr. John Dominic P Pulido, Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) General Jose Embang, and Office of Civil Defense (OCD) General Services Division Chief Christopher Gacutan drafted a punch list of the project on Monday (May 11), the post read.
“The Filinvest Tent ‘We Heal as One’ Center has a capacity of 108 beds and will be managed by OCD and BFP,” Usec. Sadain said.
The construction materials for its redesigning and transformation into a makeshift hospital was sponsored by Filinvest Development Corporation.
On the other hand, the Yuchengco-led construction firm EEI Corporation provided the manpower for the repurposing of Filinvest Tent into a quarantine facility, while the hospital beds were donated by the Villar Group of Companies.
Secretary Villar said the place was chosen for its accessibility to major thoroughfares in the south with its major entry and exit points only a few minutes travel from Makati through SLEX/Skyway.
The DPWH chief also enumerated the eight (8) other mega quarantine facilities prepared by the government supported by the private sector, as follows:
World Trade Center
Ninoy Aquino Stadium
Rizal Memorial Coliseum
ASEAN Convention Center, Clark, Pampanga
National Government Administrative Center, New Clark City, Capas, Tarlac
Philippine Sports Complex (ULTRA), Pasig City
Philippine Arena – 3 Big Tents, Ciudad de Victoria, Bocaue, Bulacan
“Just like the eight previously completed mega quarantine facilities, Filinvest Tent ‘We Heal as One Center’ will be fully-air-conditioned and complete with necessary facilities,” Villar said. — /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said it is now converting shipping containers into mobile facilities as part of its efforts to assist the Department of Health (DOH) amid the fight to contain the spread of novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
DPWH Secretary Mark Villar said they have already completed the conversion of one shipping container into a prototype health facility in preparation for when the (COVID-19) situation worsens amid rising number of infections.
Villar said the DPWH has prepared the designs for four high cube containers, measuring 40 feet long by 8 feet width and 9 feet height joined together to create mobile field hospitals for the possible isolation and treatment of 16 probable COVID-19 patients.
Based on DPWH plans for one-story health facility, a 40-footer shipping container is divided into four rooms. Each room will have toilet and bath, and will have proper ventilation for the full isolation of a patients, according to DOH guidelines and recommendations.
Villar said design plans have also been prepared for 20 feet long high cube shipping containers that can be converted into nurse stations, utility room and separate temporary quarters of male and female healthcare service personnel.
“We’re ready to convert these containers into mobile hospitals and install them in any available hospital grounds or open public spaces,” Villar said.
The DPWH said the project is in line with efforts to assist the DOH in the establishment, construction, and operation of temporary medical facilities as mandated in the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act.
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is proposing to convert state-owned buildings to health facilities to accommodate coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients.
DPWH Secretary Mark Villar said the plan was to convert the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC), the World Trade Center (WTC), the Rizal Memorial Coliseum, and the Philippine Institute of Sports Multipurpose (Philsport) Arena as quarantine sites.
They began the conversion of the PICC, the WTC, and the Rizal Memorial Coliseum on Wednesday.
Villar also posted design plans for a nurse’s station as well as the floor plan for the PICC facility.
He said the buildings will be used to address hospital shortage due to the continued rise of COVID-19 cases.
The buildings can accommodate a total of 2,905 possible patients. They already began the conversion on Wednesday (April 1) and expect completion in 10 days. AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.