Several business entrepreneurs on Tuesday (July 16) have joined the National Micro, Small and Medium Enterprise (MSME) Summit conducted by the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI)
The summit aims to help small entrepreneurs on their businesses and to be “Smarter Entrepreneurs”.
The latest record of the DTI shows that the country has produced more than 900,000 MSMEs which have provided jobs to up to five million Filipinos.
President Rodrigo Duterte’s common-law wife Cielito “Honeylet” Avanceña graced the event and reminisced the time when she was still a struggling businesswoman.
“I’ve been with a donut company — franchisee of a donut company for almost 22 years. Kahit na ho pakonti-konti ‘yan [Even though it was just small], 22 years (have) provided you of, you know, a decent living. Mabili mo ‘yung gusto ng anak mo. Makapaglagay ka ng pagkain sa lamesa sa pamilya mo [You can buy what your child wants. You can put food on the table for your family],” Avanceña recalled.
“I don’t have to call my husband: ‘OK, can I buy this?’,” she added.
Meanwhile, the DTI hopes that the implementation of Republic Act 11032 or the Ease of Doing Business Act will help boost the small entrepreneurs in the country.
The President signed the law last year with the aim of curbing red tape in the bureaucracy.
Under the law, simple business applications must be processed within three days. A complex business application must be completed in seven days, while applications which are rather technical should only take 20-days processing time.
The law’s Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) is expected to be signed in the very near future.
DTI chief, Sec. Ramon Lopez, has also urged the public to report to the anti-red tape authority any government personnel who will violate the said law.
“Assured ‘yung mga kababayan natin na matatakbuhan sila kapag nade-delay ‘yung mga application nila. So, pwede silang mag-complain [Our countrymen are assured that they have someone to go to when there is a delay on their application. They can file a complaint],” said Lopez.
The agency is also mulling over coming up with a “One Step” Business Registration to ease the processing of applications for a license to operate. (with reports from Harlene Delgado) /mbmf
MANILA, Philippines – Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Secretary Ramon Lopez welcomed the decision of the Metro Manila Council (MMC) to shorten the uniform curfew hours being implemented amid the coronavirus pandemic-induced community quarantine.
In a Palace briefing on Monday, Lopez said shorter curfew hours would allow restaurants and other business establishments to operate for longer hours. This would also give workers and businesses additional income.
“Malaking tulong ito kasi yung extension ng opening hours nila will allow additional one or two more turnovers, yun palit ng tao and more customers,” Lopez said.
“Of course, mas malaking kita para sa mga workers sa mga istablisyementong iyon, that means they can close around 10, 10:30 and will still allow greater mobility,” he added.
On Monday, Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chairperson Benhur Abalos, who is also the concurrent head of the MMC, announced that the 17 Metro Manila mayors have unanimously agreed to adjust the curfew hours in the region in a bid to spur economic activity.
Abalos said the curfew hours will be implemented from 12 a.m. to 4 a.m. starting June 15. Previous curfew hours started at 10 p.m.
Metro Manila is under general community quarantine (GCQ) with restrictions until June 15.
Earlier in the day, Inter-Agency Task Force and Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said that new community quarantine classifications to be implemented in the country after June 15 will be announced on Monday night.
He said there is a possibility that Metro Manila and nearby areas will be placed under the regular GCQ due to lower COVID-19 daily and two-week attack rate and healthcare utilization rate.
Roque, however, noted that the number of COVID-19 cases remains high in the country.
“Most likely, it will be ordinary GCQ, this has been announced also publicly as the recommendation of our implementers, the Metro Manila mayors. Although I don’t want to second-guess, an ordinary GCQ would result in higher percentage capacity particularly for indoor dining and indoor facilities,” he said. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines — The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) said there are still some 600 business establishments awaiting issuance of a Safety Seal certificate to be able to resume operations amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Over 150 establishments have been approved (for safety seal certificate), and there are 600 pending for inspection. The process is ongoing as we speak,” DTI Secretary Ramon Lopez said Friday (June 11) during the regular Laging Handa briefing.
Establishments deemed compliant with the minimum health standards for the prevention of COVID-19, are given a Safety Seal certificate.
“Kailangan magpa-safety seal sila para lang masigurado that they are complying with the minimum health protocols. Especially kung indoors, very important kasi ngayon iyong ventilation,” Lopez said.
The official said among establishments that the DTI inspected, around 105 have been denied the safety seal.
“Pero hindi naman ibig sabihin na forever na hindi sila makakakuha. Pinapa-comply lang sila sa minimum health standards,” Lopez said.
Under the Joint Memorandum Circular 21-01 Series 2021 signed by the DTI, Department of Labor and Employment, Department of Health, Department of the Interior and Local Government , and the Department of Tourism (DOT), a Safety Seal shall apply to selected public places and government offices as well as private business establishments.
It shall be displayed on strategic spots at the entrance of establishments.
Establishments that are covered by DTI are supermarkets, groceries, membership shopping and convenience stores, construction supply or hardware stores, barbershops and salons, and service shops.
MANILA, Philippines — Maaari nang makabalik sa trabaho ang nasa 200-libong empleyado matapos na ibalik sa general community quarantine “with heightened restrictions” ang National Capital Region (NCR) at mga karatig-lalawigan.
Ayon kay Trade and Industry Secretary Ramon Lopez, magiging daan ang paglipat sa GCQ ng NCR, Bulacan, Cavite, Rizal, at Laguna – tinatawag na NCR Plus – upang mapababa ang bilang ng mga nawalan ng trabaho noong kasagsagan ng enhanced community quarantine (ECQ).
“As we further open the economy, we are expecting to bring back 200,000 to 300,000 jobs to lessen the number workers displaced since the start of the ECQ,” ani Lopez.
Noong nasa ilalim ng ECQ ang NCR Plus, umabot sa 1.5 milyon ang bilang ng mga Pilipino nawalan ng trabaho dahil sa coronavirus pandemic.
Nabawasan ito at naging isang milyon noong ipinatupad ang modified ECQ.
Ayon kay Lopez, sa ngayon ay aabot pa sa 700-libong manggagawa ang hindi pa rin nakakabalik sa trabaho dahil sa limitadong operasyon ng ilang establisimyento gaya ng mga restaurant, at barbershop. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Joan Nano)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.