Duterte now willing to get COVID-19 vaccine shot in public — Palace

Marje Pelayo   •   February 15, 2021   •   393

MANILA, Philippines — Contrary to Malacañang’s previous announcement, Secretary Harry Roque announced on Monday, February 15, that President Rodrigo Duterte is now willing to receive a COVID-19 vaccine publicly.

“Well I think the President has said that he will now have himself vaccinated publicly,” Roque said.

According to the presidential spokesperson, the Chief Executive will do it to encourage and strengthen the public’s confidence in the vaccine. 

However, Roque did not confirm the date or time for the anticipated inoculation.

“He only has to announce when it will be done and that’s of course in recognition of the fact na nagaantay ng senyales ang taumbayan kung talaga sila’y magpapabakuna o hindi. So I think that is a policy that we will now pursue,” he said.

It was in August last year when the President announced his readiness to be the first to get inoculated using the vaccine from Russia’s Gamaleya Institute once it arrives in the country. 

Later on, the Palace backtracked on its previous announcement and said Duterte had decided to have it privately.

Around 600,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccine from China’s Sinovac Biotech are expected to arrive on February 23.

Meanwhile, the exact date for the arrival of 117,000 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine from the COVAX Facility has yet to be confirmed though the shipment is also expected this month.

Aside from the president, other high ranking government officials have also volunteered to be vaccinated in public to increase vaccine confidence.

Based on the recent Pulse Asia survey result released in January, almost half of the Philippine population expressed hesitation in receiving the vaccine due to safety concerns. MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Duterte OKs grant of one-time P20K aid to employees’ compensation pensioners

Robie de Guzman   •   April 20, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has approved the grant of one-time financial aid of P20,000 to qualified pensioners under the employees’ compensation (EC) program.

Under Administrative Order (AO) No. 39, which was signed on Monday, Duterte authorized the Employees Compensation Commission (ECC) to grant the cash aid to EC pensioners for permanent partial disability, permanent total disability, and survivorship, in the private and public sectors, “subject to the availability of funds and pertinent laws, rules and regulations.”

Duterte directed the ECC, Social Security System (SSS) and the Government Service Insurance System (GSIS) to set aside and release appropriate funding to cover the financial assistance from the Social Insurance Fund under the EC Program.

The ECC, in coordination with the SSS and GSIS, will issue the implementing rules and regulations necessary for the effective implementation of the order.

In signing the AO, Duterte recognized that the “adverse effects of the pandemic on the economy, supplementary health necessities for the battle against the virus, and restrictions imposed on our mobility and social interaction, have increased the financial and health burdens experienced by the EC pensioners.

The one-time cash aid will be granted to around 31,000 pensioners of the SSS and GSIS.

Duterte said AO 39 will take effect following its publication in the Official Gazette or in a newspaper of general circulation.

Statements of ‘alter-egos’ also reflect Duterte’s stand on West PH Sea issue — Palace

Robie de Guzman   •   April 19, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang on Monday said there is no need for President Rodrigo Duterte to speak on China’s incursions in the West Philippine Sea, saying the strong statements of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Department of National Defense (DND) also reflects the president’s stance on the issue.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque issued the statement to dispel notions that Duterte has been silent on the reported number of Chinese vessels still lingering in the Philippines’ exclusive economic zone (EEZ).

“Doctrine of qualified political doctrine, kapag po hindi dini-dis-own ng president ang mga sinasabi ng kaniyang mga alter-egos, parang siya na po ang nagsasalita, hindi na kailangang siya ang magsalita,” Roque said in an online briefing.

The Palace official was referring to a Constitutional Doctrine which states that “utterances of alter egos are utterances of the President unless the president renounces them.”

Roque also reiterated that Duterte already stressed the importance of the 2016 Hague Ruling on the West Philippine Sea and that the Philippines will not set aside the landmark decision.

The National Task Force-West Philippine Sea earlier reported that at least 240 Chinese vessels were found lingering in various parts of the West Philippine Sea during its latest sovereignty patrols in the area.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana earlier demanded the immediate withdrawal of the remaining Chinese vessels in the Julian Felipe Reef, telling the ships to sail away and for the Chinese to “leave our sovereign territories and abide by the international law.”

Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. also repeatedly fired off diplomatic protests and called for the immediate withdrawal of Chinese vessels in the disputed waters.

Duterte to hold public address Thursday night – Palace

Robie de Guzman   •   April 15, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte will deliver another public address Thursday evening (April 15), Malacañang said.

In a press briefing Thursday, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Duterte will share details about his meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin during his “Talk to the People” later.

“Mamaya po magkakaroon ng ‘Talk to the People’ ang Pangulo. Siya na po ang magkukuwento kung ano ang nangyari sa kanilang usapan ni President Putin,” he said.

Duterte and Putin held a 30-minute telesummit on Tuesday.

Malacañang earlier said that the two leaders talked about ways to combat coronavirus pandemic and reaffirmed their shared commitment to further enhance cooperation between the Philippines and Russia.

Duterte also thanked Putin for Russia’s commitment to bolster cooperation in various areas, including fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.

The two chief executives also stressed the importance of ramping up global production and supplies of COVID-19 vaccines.

Aside from the COVID-19 response, Duterte and Putin also discussed the “steady progress” in defense and security cooperation between the two countries, fostered by regular exchanges between defense, intelligence, and military agencies.

The Palace also said that Putin highlighted the positive trajectory of Philippine-Russia relations and emphasized the many opportunities for greater cooperation in the fields of trade and investments, agriculture, and energy development even as both countries work on further enhancing political-security cooperation.

During the telesummit, Duterte also reiterated his invitation for Putin to visit the Philippines as soon as circumstances allow, which the Russian president welcomed.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.