Duterte opted to ‘work from home’ instead of 3-day rest
Marje Pelayo • November 12, 2019 • 111
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has decided to go home to Davao City after visiting the wake of businessman John Gokongwei Jr. on Monday night (November 11).
Earlier, Malacañang announced that President Duterte will have a break from his pressing schedule and spend time with his family for three days.
However, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo said the President declined the suggestion and instead, opted to work from home.
“While the demands of pressing work that go along with the highest position of the land are unceasing, the people can rest assured that the President can keep up with the same and is in the best position to know how he can maintain to be on top of his health,” Panelo said.
On Monday, Malacañang clarified that President Duterte’s decision to stay in his home in Davao City is not health related and there is no reason for him to file an official leave.
“Well upon the advice of friends, of colleagues, and the world it seems and most likely upon the advice of doctors also to take a respite from his punishing schedule. (No medical concern?) Wala naman (None at all,)” Panelo assured. – MNP (with details from Rosalie Coz)
A condominium building in Davao City was heavily damaged after another strong earthquake jolted parts of Mindanao on Thursday morning.
The magnitude 6.5 quake that occurred around 9:11 a.m. struck east of Tulunan town in Cotabato, the same general area which was hit by two power temblors this month. The tremor was also felt in nearby areas in Mindanao.
Ecoland 4000, a five-storey building, did not totally collapse but portions of the structure, including its external walls and ceilings, sustained deep cracks and fell off.
Around nine people were treated for minor injuries they sustained after the quake, according to authorities.
In an update posted on Facebook, the Davao City government said that search operations are ongoing in the building.
The building was among the structures that sustained heavy damage after a magnitude 6.6 quake hit Cotabato and other areas in Mindanao on Tuesday, Oct. 29.
The city government said that as of 12 noon, 27 areas were confirmed to have sustained minor damage due to the tremor.
Road and bridges across the city have also been declared safe following inspections.
DAVAO CITY, Philippines – The City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CDRRMO) and the City Engineering Office is currently conducting an assessment on the structures in the city following the magnitude 6.6 earthquake on Tuesday (October 29).
So far, the assessment team recorded more than 50 structures showing cracks on walls caused by the tremor.
Most of these structures are school buildings.
Disaster authorities said they are leaving the decision to administrators of affected schools on whether or not to declare class suspension.
“If they had a doubt so better not to go resumption of classes if they ask to wait for the technical people to conduct further assessment,” said CDRRMO Operational Head Rodrigo Bustillo.
Meanwhile, some schools in Davao City already have resumed their classes.
The CDRRMO targets to finish its assessment on Thursday (October 31) so they could lay their recommendations regarding the affected structures. – MNP (with details from Hazel Fuerzas)
DAVAO CITY, Philippines – Mayor Sara Duterte on Tuesday (October 29) immediately ordered the suspension of classes in all levels, from kindergarten to post-graduate studies both private and public, following a strong 6.6 magnitude earthquake that hit the southwest portion of the city.
In a statement, Mayor Sara said school owners and administrators to immediately initiate a safety inspection in their school structures with the guidance of a qualified engineer as the tremblor may have caused structural and electrical damage to buildings and houses.
“If they find building defects that are dangerous and need repair, they should immediately condemn the area and not allow students to use the same,” the Mayor said.
Mayor Sara added that the decision to suspend classes for Wednesday (October 30) “shall be on a case to case basis and shall depend on the individual schools’ announcement.”
Meanwhile, the Davao City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office reported that the city’s coastline remains calm thus, no tsunami alert was announced.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.