Duterte to Recto 22: ‘I’m sorry, but that’s how it is’

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 25, 2019   •   1409

Courtesy : Presidential Photo

President Rodrigo Duterte apologized to the Recto 22 after he reiterated that the abandonment of the 22 fishermen was just a “maritime incident”.

During the premiere of the movie “Kontradiksyon,” Duterte told reporters that the incident did not result in any confrontation.

“Well, I’m sorry, but that’s how it is,” he said. “They know that that area is claimed by both. For China, it happened within their jurisdiction. For us [it happened] within our jurisdiction. We have two conflicting claims of ownership.”

READ: Filipino boat captain laments Duterte’s remark on West PH Sea allision incident

The Filipino boat captain previously expressed disappointment over Duterte’s remarks when he said the allision was only a “maritime incident”.

A Filipino vessel was allegedly hit by a Chinese vessel on June 9. The Filipino fishermen were abandoned at sea and were saved by Vietnamese fishermen after a few hours.

Duterte clarified that he is not belittling the situation. However, he said that it would not justify sending military troops to the area.

“It’s a maritime incident. ‘Little’ in the sense that it did not result in any confrontation. This not to belittle anything. There was damage but luckily nobody died,” he said. “That is not a reason to go to any military exercise there. If you do that, that’s war.”—AAC


Duterte warns water concessionaires: I will order the AFP to take over

Aileen Cerrudo   •   December 13, 2019

President Rodrigo Duterte

President Rodrigo Duterte has warned Maynilad and Manila Water that he will order the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) to take over water distribution operations.

“I will order the Armed Forces to operate the water, ‘Sige, sundalo, take over kayo’ (Soldiers, go take over). And I will declare the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus but only against economic sabotage,” he said during the birthday celebration of former Senator Manny Villar on Thursday (December 12).

The Chief Executive has previously threatened the two water concessionaires with “economic sabotage” due to alleged irregular water deals.

In a letter, the two companies revoked their compensation claims prompting the government to pay almost P11 billion, as ordered by an attribution court in Singapore.

They have also offered to revisit the contracts in order to come up with possible amendments.

However, Malacañang said the President is still reviewing the said letter and has yet to decide on his next action on the issue.

In a statement, Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo has advised the two water concessionaires that the President will strive to enforce the law.

“The concessionaires are put on notice that the Chief Executive will not renege from his constitutional duty of enforcing the law. Neither will he be swayed nor enticed into accepting a compromise. Dura lex sed lex,” he said.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Duterte grants P10,000 service recognition incentives for some gov’t workers

Robie de Guzman   •   December 5, 2019

President Rodrigo Duterte

MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte has authorized the granting of a service recognition incentive (SRI) of up to P10,000 each for qualified employees of the national government.

In Administrative Order no. 19, signed on Dec. 2, Duterte said the incentive will be given to deserving government employees to recognize their “collective and unceasing participation in and invaluable contribution to the administration’s continuing efforts toward the establishment of streamlined government processes and more responsive delivery of public services.”

Those qualified for the incentives include civilian personnel in national government agencies, including those in state universities and colleges, and government-owned or -controlled corporations, occupying regular, contractual or casual positions, and military personnel of the Armed Forces of the Philippines under the Department of National Defense.

Also qualified to receive the incentive are uniformed personnel of the Philippine National Police, Bureau of Fire Protection, and Bureau of Jail Management and Penology under the Department of the Interior and Local Government, the Bureau of Corrections under the Department of Justice, the Philippine Coast Guard under the Department of Transportation, and the National Mapping and Resource Information Authority under the Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

The grant of the incentive shall be subject to following conditions: civilian personnel occupying regular, contractual, or casual positions; personnel still in the government service as of Nov. 30, and personnel who have rendered at least four months of service as of Nov. 30.

The order also stated that employees who have rendered less than four months of service as of Nov. 30 are entitled to a pro-rated share of the SRI; and employees who have not received any additional year-end benefit in Fiscal Year 2019 over and above the benefit authorized under Republic Act No. 6686, are also entitled to receive the SRI.

The incentive is on top of the P60,000 bonus that Duterte announced earlier for the employees of the Office of the President.

Duterte wants ‘honest cop’ for next PNP chief

Aileen Cerrudo   •   December 2, 2019

President Rodrigo Duterte said he wants an honest cop to lead the Philippine National Police (PNP), according to Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo.

Duterte had previously said they conducted thorough background checks on the candidates for the next PNP official.

On Monday (December 2), Panelo said the president wants a better “deal” for the position.

“What he is saying is that he wants an honest cop, he doesn’t want any cop that has been charged with any irregularity, any infraction whether administrative or criminal,” he said.

The Palace official also reiterated Duterte’s statements that he will take over the PNP chief post.

READ: No PNP Chief yet? Duterte threatens to take over

“He said if he cannot choose then he will just take over temporarily as the head,” Panelo said.—AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

(+632) 8920.8336 (Fax)

info@untvweb.com (General inquiries)

support@untvweb.com

UNTV News and Rescue Emergency Hotlines:

LANDLINE (+632) 8396-8688

ADVERTISE WITH US

(+632) 8 442.6244 Loc. 143, 144, 162, 164

advertising@untvweb.com

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.