Ex-AFP chief Carlito Galvez is the new presidential peace adviser
by UNTV News | Posted on Wednesday, December 12th, 2018
FILE PHOTO: Former AFP Chief of Staff General Carlito Galvez Jr.
MANILA, Philippines — Former Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) chief of staff Gen. Carlito Galvez who just retired, has yet another role to play in the Duterte government.
President Rodrigo Duterte announced on Tuesday (December 12) at the AFP’s 83rd Anniversary and Change of Command ceremony that Galvez will be replacing former presidential peace adviser, Jess Dureza who previously resigned after two of his subordinates were accused of being involved in corruption.
“By the way, before I forget, si General Galvez will join the Cabinet next week as the Secretary of the Peace Process Office,” Duterte said to the audience.
The President added that Galvez is the 9th military man to be appointed under his administration.
His most notable accomplishment as the 50th AFP chief of staff is the strengthening of internal security operations.
“Upon assuming command, he supervised our internal security operations and the implementation of martial law in Mindanao. This led to the neutralization of more than two thousand terrorists, the recovery of thousands of firearms, and the clearing of seven guerrilla fronts,” the President said.
Replacing Galvez as AFP chief of staff is the current head of Eastern Mindanao Command, Lt. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal.
Madrigal’s appointment coincides with the establishment of a new division of the Philippine Army in Jolo, Sulu and the formation of a national task force that will combat the armed insurgency of the communist rebels.
“We now shift to a new civilian-led approach that will tap other government agencies and other private sectors in bringing basic services and other development interventions that will address the root cause of the communist movement,” the President said during his speech.
Duterte has ordered Madrigal to continue the good work that his predecessors have started in achieving lasting peace for the country.
“General Madrigal, you are now tasked with the responsibility of preserving peace and ensuring order as we shift to this new approach. Sustain the progress of those who came before you and create a legacy that will cause ripples of positive change in the years to come,” President Duterte said. — Rosalie Coz | UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV News | Posted on Monday, January 21st, 2019
MANILA, Philippines — Soldiers from the Philippine Army’s 302nd Brigade recovered various weapons and paraphernalia from members of the New People’s Army (NPA) after encountering the rebel forces in Brgy. Tacpao, Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental on Saturday (January 19) at dawn.
The shootout lasted for fifteen minutes before the rebels finally retreated.
Government troops recovered one .45 caliber pistol, ammunition for M16 and AK47 rifles, a handheld radio and three berets sporting a five-pointed red star which symbolizes the communist ideology.
There were no casualties or injuries reported on the government side.
Pursuit and clearing operations by the military will continue in the area. —Lalaine Moreno | UNTV News & Rescue
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Thursday, January 17th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte called recently sacked Bacolod City Police Chief PCSupt. Francis Ebreo a drug lord “protector”.
The Chief Executive noted an incident where Ebreo exhibited a behavior unexpected of a chief of police.
“There was this, si Cano, a councilor who has been tagged by the PDEA almost a decade ago to be engaged in trafficking, na-ambush. That incident na pumunta sila sa ospital. Silang dalawa ng deputy niya. What’s the **** business of going to the hospital? Ambush and drug lord? Tapos, nag-iwan pa sila ng dalawang security,” the President narrated referring to the ambush of Councilor Ricardo “Cano” Tan and his wife on December 14.
“I would understand if he (Ebreo) would send a topnotch investigator of the police. Pero kung silang dalawa mismo, the first and second highest police officials of the city, nagtataka ako kung bakit ganun. It’s a strange behavior,” he added.
The President vented his anger on the sidelines of the state visit of Sri Lanka President Maithripala Sirisena on Wednesday (January 16). – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Lea Ylagan)
by UNTV News and Rescue | Posted on Tuesday, January 15th, 2019
MANILA, Philippines – President Rodrigo Duterte is reopening doors for peace.
Movie and Television Review and Classification Board (MTRCB) Board Member Avelino Andal confirmed that the Chief Executive ordered him to hold backchannel talks with the communist rebels.
According to Andal, he already conveyed the President’s message to the leaders of the leftist group which the latter positively welcomed.
“Actually napag-utusan ang inyong lingkod at utos mula sa presidente na kung maaari ay i-resume ang pag-uusap,” Andal revealed in a phone interview.
“Sapagkat ang kaniyang pinagdidiinan ay bilang presidente, siya ay kaibigan at hindi kaaway ng mga rebelde,” he added.
Andal was a former activist and political detainee during the Martial Law regime. He was once a rebel returnee himself.
In 2018, President Duterte ordered the suspension of backchannel talks with the communist rebels for the government to thoroughly assess the provisions of the agreements to be entered into by both parties.
Though Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo did not confirm such backchannel order, he expresses confidence that such a move will bring positive results.
“What is important to me is if there is one, then the CPP-NPA at this time and for a change should listen to the president, and most likely they may at this time to the urgings of the president,” he concluded. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.