Filipino workers scammed in Hong Kong over airline tickets returns to the country

UNTV News   •   December 26, 2017   •   6853

MANILA, Philippines – Forty-one overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) from Hong Kong have arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) at 2 in the afternoon, Monday.

They are among the Filipinos stranded in Hong Kong after they were sold with fake airline tickets by the PEYA Travel Agency.

According to Rowena Oliero, she previously booked for ticket with the said travel agency, that’s why she was surprised that she will be fooled by the same agency.

She bought the ticket for HK$1,500 or almost P13,000.

 

“I called Philippines Airlines and they said our tickets were “not issued.” They said [the agency] took our money but it was not remitted to Philippine Airlines,” said Oliero.

“I panicked and cried. I said to myself, ‘I won’t be able to come home, I have no more money to buy a ticket.'” she added.

The said OFWs were able to return home with the help of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), while the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) paid for their flights.

According to OWWA, thousands of OFWs have been victimized by the Peya Travels Agency.

Many of them were able to buy their own flight tickets.

The government vowed to hold the said travel agency liable, and will force it to pay back the money it took from its victims.

Lawyers of the Philippine Embassy in Hong Kong are now preparing the charges it will file against Peya travels.

“It will depend on the laws of Hong Kong, whatever the set-up our lawyers can fix there. But we should really go after this travel agency because they have already victimized too many Filipinos in Hong Kong,” OWWA Deputy Administrator Brigido Dulay said.

Aside from 41 OFWs, another batch of stranded Filipino workers in Hong Kong were also set to arrive Monday night.

They are also victims of the Peya Travel Agency. – Joan Nano | UNTV News & Rescue

Bello on Sinas’ request requiring police clearance for labor-related transactions: ‘More harm than good.’

Marje Pelayo   •   May 5, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III responded to the request of Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief General Debold Sinas on the latter’s request to require national police clearances for labor-related transactions.

Bello argued that though his agency supports the PNP’s rollout of the National Police Clearance System (NPCS) and while the proposal is ‘good-intentioned,’ the Labor Chief said requiring DOLE’s clients to secure an NPC to avail of its services will do ‘more harm than good.’

“It is a form of a red tape to all and an additional financial burden to many,” Bello said.

The Labor Secretary noted that after his consultation with DOLE’s stakeholders including workers and employers group, 94% of them are not in favor of requiring an NPC in labor-related transactions.

Bello also argued that the proposal is not aligned with the policy of President Rodrigo Duterte on the Ease in Doing Business and Efficient Government Service Delivery Act of 2018 and there is no legal basis in requiring an NOC to DOLE clients.

“We are with the PNP in building a safer place for Filipino. We can achieve this without adding burden to the transacting public and the people we serve,” Bello concluded.

Sinas sent a letter to Bello recommending to the agency the use of national police clearance to have broader information as to the character of all its applicants.

The Labor Chief earlier reacted that such a policy will only add to the burden caused by the COVID-19 pandemic to its applicant.

Private sector workers urged to get COVID vaccine jabs in June

Marje Pelayo   •   May 4, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The private sector is gearing up for the expected mass vaccination in June once the supply of COVID-19 vaccines specifically, AstraZeneca, arrives in the country.

According to Presidential Adviser for Entrepreneurship Secretary Joey Concepcion, Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III already issued a memorandum encouraging employers and workers in the private sector to get vaccinated.

Concepcion believes that vaccination is the only solution to the country’s pandemic and economic problems.

“Every citizen has to do their civic duty to take the vaccine. That is the only way,” he said.

Together with the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), Concepcion said they have launched the ‘Let’s Go Bakuna’ campaign to address vaccine misinformation and boost confidence among employees.

He said vaccination should cover 100 percent of the workers’ sector to be able to achieve herd immunity.

“Kasi kung 70 percent lang ng mga empleyedo ang magpapabakuna, hindi natin ma-achieve ang herd immunity sa bansa natin. Iyong factory safety natin ay 70 percent lang, paano ang mangyayri sa 30 percent? Iyong 30 percent ay pwede pa ring ma-infect ang nasa 70 percent kasi ang efficacy ng mga bakuna hindi naman 100 percent,” he explained.

Concepcion said around 17 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine are expected to arrive in batches in June this year.

“That is going to help about close to 100 companies,” he said adding that the first and second batches of mass vaccination for workers are expected in June and July, respectively.

“Ang mga logistics providers ang magde-deliver sa vaccination centers na pinili ng private sector,” he added.

Companies may tap private sector implementers to facilitate the inoculation of their workers.

“We have about over 200 private companies that will do the vaccine implementation. Lahat iyan nakahanda na,” Concepcion assured.

“Vaccine confidence and vaccine implementation, iyon ang kailangan natin gawin. The faster we implement it, the faster we stop this infection,” he said.

Philippines hopes Hong Kong won’t single out OFWs in compulsory COVID-19 vaccination

Robie de Guzman   •   May 3, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine government on Monday expressed hope that Hong Kong authorities will not single out overseas Filipino workers (OFW) in its plan to make COVID-19 vaccination compulsory for foreign domestic workers.

While the Philippine government welcomes a state’s prerogative to require vaccination, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said Filipino migrant workers should not be singled out.

“Alam niyo po ang equal protection clause is not just a provision in the Philippine Bill of Rights, it is accepted already in the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights at sakop po ng kanyang applicability ang Hong Kong,” Roque said in an online briefing

“Sana po ‘wag i-single put ang ating mga OFW bagama’t we recognize yung sovereign prerogative na i-require ang bakuna,” he added.

“We have an early 1905 case na sinustain po ng korte suprema ng Pilipinas ang mandatory vaccination against smallpox as a form in part and parcel of police power pero pati po ang exercise of power must be done in a manner na lahat po ng tao ay sasakupin. Wag naman pong magkaroon ng singling out,” he further stated.

Earlier media reports stated that Hong Kong health officials are planning to make COVID-19 testing and vaccination mandatory for some 370,000 domestic helpers before they can renew their contract.

The plan comes after two migrant workers were found infected with the more virulent variant of the novel coronavirus disease.

Groups of migrant workers in Hong Kong have criticized the plan, saying it is “discriminatory and unjust.”

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.