Foreign kin of Filipinos need not present entry exemption docs starting August 1

Marje Pelayo   •   July 28, 2021   •   216

MANILA, Philippines – Starting August 1, foreign spouses, children and parents of Filipino citizens who are traveling to the Philippines as tourists to visit their kin will no longer be required to present an entry exemption document (EED).

This new policy is in compliance with the latest resolution of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) which eased the entry travel requirements for foreigners related by marriage or filiation to Filipinos.

Under the new IATF resolution, foreign spouses, children and parents of Filipinos will only be required to present 9(a) tourist visas beginning on Saturday.

However, the IATF instructed the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) to include in the visa of said aliens the notation: “EED not required per IATF Resolution No. 128 (s.2021).”

According to BI Commissioner Jaime Morente, foreigners whose Filipino spouses and children are currently in the Philippines will be able to easily visit and reunite with their loved ones.

Previously, these aliens were allowed entry into the Philippines only if they have valid 9(a) tourist visas as well as an EED issued by the DFA through its various embassies or consulates abroad.

Those who fail to secure and present either one of the two documents are excluded and turned back upon arrival at the ports of entry.

The BI chief stressed that the new travel guidelines apply only to foreigners who are not accompanied by their Filipino spouses or Filipino parents when going to the Philippines.

“Foreigners who are traveling with their Filipino spouses or parents are eligible for the Balikbayan program and they may be admitted visa-free for a one-year stay,” Morente said.

He explained that those who are not traveling with their Filipino principal must apply for a 9(A) tourist visa from a Philippine consulate abroad, which they would use for entry to the Philippines.

BI issues lookout bulletin order vs Michael Yang, 8 others

Marje Pelayo   •   September 16, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Immigration (BI) has issued an Immigration Lookout Bulletin Order (ILBO) against former presidential adviser on economic affairs Michael Yang, also known as Yang Hong Ming.

Yang is among the subjects of an ongoing Senate investigation on the budget utilization of government-procured pandemic response supplies for alleged overpricing.

According to BI Commissioner Jaime Morente, the ILBO was issued in compliance to the order from the Department of Justice (DOJ) following a request from Senator Richard Gordon being the chair of the Senate Blue Ribbon Committee.

“This matter is of national interest. We have made the proper arrangements, and our immigration officers are now on the lookout for the possible departure of the suspect personalities,” Morente said.

Meanwhile, pursuant to a September 7 order from the DOJ, former chief of the Procurement Service of the Department of Budget and Management (PS-DBM) Atty. Lloyd Christopher Lao was also placed under lookout bulletin.

Aside from Lao and Yang, the BI also placed under ILBO Overall Deputy Ombudsman Atty. Warren Rex Liong and Pharmally Pharmaceutical Corp.’s executives Twinkle Dargani, Huang Tzu Yen, Krizle Grace Mago, Justine Garado, Linconn Ong, and Mohit Dargani.

The BI clarified that an ILBO is for monitoring the movement of subjects who might attempt to place themselves beyond the reach of the legal process by leaving the country.

“An ILBO is issued for prudence to double check if there are any pending arrest warrants against the subjects, or monitor their itineraries and whereabouts, should they attempt to leave the country,” the BI explained.

The Senate has started an investigation on Pharmally Pharmaceutical Corp. to dig into the P8 billion worth of government contracts despite being a start-up company with only P625,000 in paid-up capital.

BI includes 9 countries in Philippines’ travel ban list

Marje Pelayo   •   September 13, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Immigration (BI) has announced a travel ban on nine more countries which  took effect on Sunday (September 12).

These countries are Azerbaijan, Guadeloupe, Guam, Israel, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Saint Lucia, and Switzerland.

BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said in an advisory said that passengers coming from, or who have been in the said countries within the last 14 days prior to their arrival to the Philippines, shall temporarily be barred entry.

This directive is in compliance with the recent directive from Malacañang, as recommended by the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID).

Morente clarified that passengers already in transit from the 9 countries who will arrive before the implementation of the travel ban may be allowed to enter, subject to existing policies of the Bureau of Quarantine (BOQ).

Also, Filipinos arriving from countries under the “red list” via government or non-government repatriation programs or bayanihan flights, may be allowed entry.

However, they shall undergo a strict 14-day facility based quarantine, and be required to undergo a reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test that will be monitored by the BOQ.

BI Port Operations Division Chief Atty. Carlos Capulong added that those who had a mere layover at the nine countries are not covered by the travel ban.

The travel ban remains in effect until 11:59 p.m. of September 18, 2021.

BI cautions public against online scammers offering fake entry permits to foreigners

Marje Pelayo   •   September 3, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Immigration (BI) warned the public against scammers victimizing foreign nationals by offering them fake entry permits on Facebook.

The warning comes after a complaint that alerted the BI about an individual offering entry permits.

According to BI Commissioner Jaime Morente, one victim was asked to contact an alleged immigration officer who would supposedly ensure the smooth entry of foreigners in exchange for grease money.

But based on BI records, the alleged immigration officer is not an employee of the agency.

“There is no such service. We believe that these scammers prey on the people they see on Facebook,” Morente said.

“It is disconcerting to know that there are still those who can take advantage of the vulnerable even during a pandemic,” he added.

At present, only Filipinos, foreign spouses and children of Filipinos, foreign parents of Filipino minors, and foreigners holding immigrant and non-immigrant visas are allowed entry in the Philippines.

The entry of tourists to the country remains restricted.

Entry exemption documents (EED) are issued by foreign posts abroad to foreigners who wish to enter the country with tourist visas.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.