Emergency Hotlines: LANDLINE (+63) 2 911 – 8688

GIS EXCLUSIVE: Duterte’s ‘political will’ will deter election fraud this 2019 – Laguna bet ER Ejercito

by UNTV News and Rescue   |   Posted on Tuesday, February 12th, 2019


Actor-turned-politician and former governor Emilio Ramon ‘ER’ Ejercito on the program Get It Straight with Daniel Razon

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Known on-screen as ‘Jorge Estregan Jr.’, actor-turned-politician and former governor Emilio Ramon ‘ER’ Ejercito is aiming for a comeback to the provincial office of Laguna this 2019 midterm elections.

This May 2019 elections, Ejercito is trying his luck again as he is confident that election fraud has no chance under the Duterte administration.

“We have a strong president who has a strong political will na talaga namang astig ang ating pangulo,” Ejercito said during an exclusive interview with the program Get It Straight with Daniel Razon.

“Kapag sinabi niyang bawal ito, bawal ito. Kapag sinabi niyang linisin ang Boracay, linisin ang Manila Bay, ginagawa po niya. May political will. Sana walang dayaan at parehas ang maging laban,” he added.

In 2014, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) ordered Ejercito to step down from office due charges of campaign overspending in the 2013 midterm elections.

He lost in the 2016 polls which he presumes had been rigged.

Ejercito claims he was picked on by the former administration of then president Benigno Aquino III.

“Kakampi na natin ang presidente. Hindi ko na kalaban. Palagay ko naman patas na ang laban ngayon. Hindi na ako mapagiinitan ng Malakanyang at Comelec,” he said when asked how he can ensure that he would not go beyond spending limit this time.

Meanwhile, Ejercito aims at strengthening programs on health, education, tourism, infrastructure, peace and security in the province of Laguna if reelected.

Specifically, he wants to turn the province of Laguna into one of the country’s food baskets by strengthening the local agriculture sector. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

Tags: , ,

Construction of CALAEX Cavite segment begins

by Aileen Cerrudo   |   Posted on Thursday, March 28th, 2019

The Cavite segment construction of Cavite-Laguna Expressway (CALAEX)
broke ground on Wednesday, March 27, 2019.

It will connect Cavite Expressway to South Luzon Expressway in Mamplasan, Laguna.

According to Department of Public Works and Highways Secretary Mark Villar, its completion will benefit around 50,000 motorists travelling from Cavite to Laguna.

“Well ang mangyayari dito ang connection niya from CAVITEX to SLEX, so just 45 minutes ang mawawala sa biyahe, (What is going to be built here is the connection from CAVITEX to SLEX which will reduce travel time by 45 minutes),” he said.t

The 45 kilometer CALAEX will begin in Kawit, Cavite and end in Mamplasan, Laguna. It will have four lanes and will be installed with modern equipment including automatic license plate recognition system, and improved Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) system.

It will also include I.P-based speed detection cameras, HD CCTv cameras, and weight in motion sensors that can detect overloaded vehicles.

During the groundbreaking ceremony on Wednesday, secretary Villar said the construction is also a part of the 1,000-km high-speed expressway set to be finished under the term of President Rodrigo Duterte.

“Kung ang biyahe po dati from north to south from Ilocos to Bicol siguro aabot po tayo ng 18 to 19 hours. Kapag natapos po ang Luzon Spine Expressway Network, 9 hours nalang po ang biyahe from north to south, (If travel time from north to south, from Ilocos to Bicol, will take 18 to 19 hours, once the Luzon Spine Expressway Network will be finished, it will only take 9 hours from north to south) Villar said.

Meanwhile, Cavite governor, Jesus Crispin Remulla said that aside from lighter traffic, the construction will also help with the economy of the province.

“Kapag maganda ang transport maganda ang infrustructure (Good transport means good infrastructure) it just attracts everything and everybody,” he said.

The said expressway cost about P12 billion and it is estimated to open to motorists by 2022.—Aileen Cerrudo (with reports from Benedict Samson)

Tags: , , , , ,

DOH: Suspected MERS-CoV patient from Laguna tests negative

by admin   |   Posted on Thursday, February 21st, 2019

Colorized transmission electron micrograph showing particles of the Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus that emerged in 2012 | Credit: NIAID

(UPDATED) A male Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) from Saudi Arabia who was rushed to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) on Wednesday over suspected Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV), has tested negative for the disease, the Department of Health said.

The RITM released the results of the laboratory tests conducted on the patient around 7 P.M. Wednesday, according to DOH Region 4A Director Eduardo Janairo.

The patient was instead diagnosed with pneumonia, Janairo said, and his condition is currently being monitored and treated.

“Nandoon pa siya sa RITM. Doon muna inoobserbahan, malaman natin progreso ng kaniyang sakit, kung mag-detoriorate o hindi. Pero at least ang ating diagnostic, hindi na MERS-CoV. Ninerbyos lang tayo diyan kasi nga galing sa Saudi, sa Riyadh since Feb. 10. May mga record na may MERS-CoV sa area na yun,” Janairo explained.

“Sa ngayon, wala ng dapat ipangamba kasi negative naman yung kaniyang viral infection. Ang hinahanap natin ngayon, ano ang cause ng pneumonia at ubo niya o fever. Kailangan malaman natin yun,” Janairo added.

MERS is a viral respiratory infection caused by a novel CoronaVirus (CoV). Its symptoms may range from mild to severe fever, cough, chills, vomiting or diarrhea and shortness of breath. It was first reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012.

The patient was first rushed to the Laguna Doctors Hospital in Sta. Cruz, Laguna on February 19 after complaining of coughs and high fever but was transferred to the RITM in Muntinlupa City for further analysis and observation.

The emergency room of the Laguna Doctors Hospital has also been opened to patients after it was temporarily closed on Wednesday for general disinfection. — Robie de Guzman (with reports from Sherwin Culubong)

Tags: ,

DOH monitors, allays fears over suspected MERS-Cov in Laguna

by admin   |   Posted on Thursday, February 21st, 2019

Transmission electron micrograph of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus |Credit: NIAID

The Department of Health (DOH) has allayed public fears following a report on a suspected case of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection in Laguna.

A male patient suspected to have MERS-CoV infection was brought to the Research Institute for Tropical Medicine (RITM) in Muntinlupa on Wednesday morning.

A source told UNTV News and Rescue that the patient is an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) who arrived in the Philippines on February 14 from Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

He was first rushed to the Laguna Doctors Hospital in Sta. Cruz, Lauguna on February 19 after complaining of cough and high fever. He was immediately transferred to the RITM for further analysis and observation.

MERS, also known as camel flu, is a viral respiratory infection caused by a novel CoronaVirus (CoV). Its symptoms may range from mild to severe fever, cough, chills, vomiting or diarrhea and shortness of breath. It was first reported in Saudi Arabia in 2012.

DOH said the situation is under control and that the patient has been placed on isolation and is being monitored closely.

DOH Media Relations Officer 3 Glen Ramos also told reporters that the case is yet to be confirmed as MERS-CoV, although the patient has manifested its symptoms.

“One cannot just say it is suspected MERS. Usual manifestations [of the disease] include meningo, high fever. The patient came from the Middle East that is why they say it’s MERS. But the RESU has not reported to us that it is suspected MERS,” Ramos explained.

The emergency room of the Laguna Doctors Hospital, where the patient was first rushed, has been closed temporarily for decontamination.

Medical personnel who had interaction with the patient were also required to stay in the hospital for now to undergo observation.

Ramos, however, clarified that the virus is not easily transmitted.

“There must be close contact for transmission, such as sex with an individual with MERS, also through body fluid,” Ramos explained.

The patient is currently undergoing medical examinations at the RITM and laboratory results may be out within two or three days.

Meanwhile, the RITM-DOH urged the public to refrain from disseminating unverified information about the said case where it can easily be taken out of context and add to the growing public concern.

In a statement posted on its twitter account, the agency also advised the public to wait for official announcements from the DOH.

“The patient suspected for MERS-CoV is still under investigation and testing. Results will be confirmed once the laboratory tests and procedures are finished. We encourage the public to wait for the official announcement from the Department of Health,” the statement read. – Robie de Guzman (with reports from Sherwin Culubong)

Tags: ,