GIS EXCLUSIVE: Tolentino ready to accept whatever SET decides on electoral protest vs. De Lima

admin   •   January 9, 2019   •   2398

Talk show host Daniel Razon (left) interviews former MMDA chairman, Atty. Francis Tolentino (right)on the set of Get it Straight with Daniel Razon

QUEZON CITY, Philippines – Senatorial hopeful Atty. Francis Tolentino said he already accepted the fact that his electoral protest against Senator Leila de Lima is close to failing.

The former chair of the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) said that although he has strong evidence to win the case, the judicial process is slow. So, he decided to just wait for whatever the Senate Electoral Tribunal rules on the issue.

In October last year, Tolentino filed his candidacy for the May midterm elections.

Prior to that, he filed a motion asking the SET to temporarily suspend the proceedings of his election protest against De Lima. But it doesn’t mean that he is abandoning the case or conceding his claims to the detained senator.

“Knowing fully well the consequences maaaring i-dismiss ng SET ang kaso dahil tumtakbo na nga ho uli ako. Pero ibabalik ko doon sa hindi sya nag file ng counter protest kasi parang tinatanggap mo ang laman ng pleadings ko eh kasi hindi mo na kinaounter,” he explained.

Meanwhile, Tolentino may have been an accuser of a fraudulent election in 2016 but according to him, he decided to run because he still respects the Commission on Elections (Comelec).

He noted that the impeachment of former Comelec commissioner Andres Bautista is one proof that the agency has kept its integrity as an institution.

If given the chance in Senate, Tolentino wants to push for a measure that will strengthen the local government units, measures to improve the country’s disaster preparedness programs, transportation and the passage of federalism.

If there’s one thing he can assure the public in his quest for Senate position, Tolentino said, it is his clean track record as a public servant.

“I’ve been a mayor several times, MMDA chairman hindi po ako nagka-kaso sa Ombudasman kahit isa. Ibig sabihin the record will show na kahit sa piskalya I can have certifications to show,” he concluded. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Grace Casin)

MMDA launches bayanihan to fight urban decay

Aileen Cerrudo   •   June 2, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) has launched a bayanihan program to fight urban decay.

The MMDA launched Metro Bayanihan which aims to intensify sidewalk clearing operations, cleaning of waterways, anti-littering, and anti-dengue drive to promote general cleanliness of Metro Manila and the well-being of its residents.

MMDA Chairman Benhur Abalos said the agency is closely coordinating with the local government units in Metro Manila to make sure that the clean-up can cover all barangays in the National Capital Region (NCR).

The said program aims to mitigate flooding, dengue, leptospirosis, and water-borne diseases especially at the beginning of the rainy season.

“Garbage-laden waterways are oftentimes breeding grounds of mosquitoes and other insects which can cause diseases. We are stepping up our efforts to make sure that these problems won’t add up to the burdens brought by this pandemic,” he said.

The MMDA will also conduct misting and fogging operations to eliminate possible breeding areas and kill dengue-carrying mosquitoes.

Abalos also appealed to the public to participate in the campaign to eradicate trash, diseases and encourage sustainable healthy urban living.

“During these times, we’ve seen how important a clean surrounding is, and we want every barangay to do their part in making Metro Manila clean, orderly, healthy, and more livable,” he said. -AAC

MMDA not likely to reimpose number coding scheme in NCR

Aileen Cerrudo   •   May 21, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) is mulling over reimplementing the number coding scheme in the National Capital Region (NCR) under the new normal setting.

MMDA EDSA traffic czar Edison Nebrija said the said traffic management program was only adopted to reduce the increasing volume of vehicles traversing Metro Manila.

“Such car restriction policy may not be suited anymore at this time kasi nga magkakaroon ng revenge spending ang mga tao dahil hindi nakakabiyahe. Wala nang masyadong kain sa labas, so andaming natitipid na pera. Baka mamaya, kung ibalik natin ang number coding bumili lang ng sasakyan,” he said.

(People will have reverse spending because they have not gone out for a while. They don’t eat out as much, so they were able to save money. If we reimplement the number coding, they might just buy new cars.)

To replace the number coding scheme, the agency is looking into the implementation of an incentive-type of policy.

Nebrija said the number of vehicles plying along EDSA decreased since the implementation of quarantine restrictions.

The official added that the heavy traffic that motorists still experience during rush hour is only because of the “road diet” due to the EDSA busway and bike lane.

Meanwhile, the agency has reimposed the truck ban along EDSA. (With reports from Asher Cadapan Jr.)

MMDA to re-impose ban on light trucks along EDSA beginning May 24

Aileen Cerrudo   •   May 20, 2021

MANILA, Philippines—The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) will re-impose a ban on light trucks along EDSA and Shaw Boulevard starting May 24.

In a statement, the MMDA said trucks which have a gross capacity weight of 4,500 kilogram and below are prohibited to traverse along EDSA from Magallanes, Makati City until North Avenue, Quezon City, both northbound and southbound, from 5:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.

Meanwhile, the said trucks will be prohibited to traverse along Shaw Boulevard (Mandaluyong City and Pasig City) from 6:00 a.m. until 10:00 a.m. and from 5:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m.

“The uniform light trucks ban shall be enforced from Monday to Saturday except Sundays and holidays,” the MMDA said.

Violators of the said truck ban, will face a fine of P2,000. AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.