Gordon pushes for mandatory reporting of deaths of inmates

Maris Federez   •   December 9, 2021   •   313

 Senator Richard Gordon

MANILA, Philippines — Senator Richard Gordon on Thursday filed Senate Bill 1771, or the Death in Custody Reporting Bill that will mandate the reporting to concerned government agencies death or sickness of persons deprived of liberty (PDL) and detained children in conflict with the law.

This move was prompted by the death of former police officer Jonel Nuezca inside the New Bilibid Prison.

Nuezca was convicted for gunning down Sonia Gregorio, 52, and her son, Frank Anthony, 25, point-blank during a heated argument in Paniqui, Tarlac in December 2020.  He was sentenced to two Reclusion Perpetua (20 years and 1 day to 40 years).

Gordon who chairs the Senate Justice and Human Rights Committee said the death of a high-profile inmate becomes questionable when there is a delay in the reporting.

Gordon cited reports stating that from October 2019 to April 2020, there had been around 50 to 60 inmates who had succumbed to death.

In April 2020, one death was recorded and was followed by eight more after three months.

Among these deaths was that of high-profile inmate Jaybee Sebastian who was convicted for kidnap for ransom and carjacking cases. He also stood as a witness in illegal drug charges against Senator Leila de Lima.

Gordon’s proposed bill seeks to direct the heads of the Bureau of Corrections, the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology, youth detention homes and youth rehabilitation centers, and the wardens of provincial jails to submit a monthly report on the deaths of inmates who are convicted of heinous crimes with a sentence of life imprisonment to the departments of Justice, Interior, and Social Welfare and Development, the Supreme Court, and the Commission on Human Rights.

The lawmaker said the National Bureau of Investigation must launch investigations on inmates and children in conflict with the law who died under dubious circumstances.

The families of inmates who died inside the prison must be provided with updates on the status of the case and the result of the investigation.

Officers who will be found remiss in submitting reports will be meted out with six months to two-year imprisonment and a penalty of Php500,000 to Php1-million. —/mbmf (from the report of UNTV Correspondent Harlene Delgado)

BuCor chief relieves 2 officers over Bilibid prison break

Robie de Guzman   •   January 20, 2022

MANILA, Philippines – Two uniformed personnel assigned in the maximum security compound of the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) have been relieved from their posts following the prison break last January 17, the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) said.

In a statement, the BuCor said bureau Director-General Gerald Bantag ordered the relief of Superintendent Arnold Guzman and CSinsp Israel Basi over the escape of four persons deprived of liberty (PDL).

“They were relieved of their position and are now under the Directorate for Administration while the investigation is still ongoing regarding the escape incident aforementioned,” the bureau said.

“The new acting NBP maximum security compound superintendent is CSupt. Roy Villasi and the new Commander of the Guards is CSInsp Reynaldo Tuguinay,” it added.

The BuCor earlier reported that four inmates bolted from the national penitentiary on Monday morning. Two of them were killed during the manhunt operations while two others remain at large.

The escapees were identified as Chris Ablas, who was convicted for robbery with homicide and sentenced to reclusion perpetua w/o parole; and Drakilou Falcon, who was convicted for robbery with homicide and illegal possession of firearms.

BuCor says 1 more PDL escaped from Bilibid

Robie de Guzman   •   January 18, 2022

MANILA, Philippines — The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) on Tuesday updated the number of inmates who escaped from the maximum security compound of the New Bilibid Prison (NBP) on Monday.

In a statement, the BuCor said the count of escapees was increased to four after one person deprived of liberty (PDL) was reported missing.

“Please be informed that one more PDL identified as PDL CHRIS Candas ABLAS N217P-4392 of Dorm 8C-2, was reported missing up to present with possibility as the 4th escapee who was involved in the prison escape incident yesterday on 17 Jan 2022,” the bureau said.

This means that there are two unaccounted PDL escapees who are still at large, namely, Ablas and Drakilou Falcon.

Ablas was convicted for robbery with homicide and sentenced to reclusion perpetua without parole; while Falcon was convicted for robbery with homicide and illegal possession of firearms.

The BuCor earlier offered a P100,000 reward for information that could lead to the arrest of Falcon.

The other two escapees, identified as Pacifico Adlawan and Arwin Bio, were killed during the manhunt operations after they allegedly resisted arresting authorities.

“Maximum Security Compound is still placed on lockdown status as of this time while recovery efforts are still on going,” BuCor said.

 

BuCor offers P100,000 reward for info on Bilibid escapee

Robie de Guzman   •   January 18, 2022

MANILA, Philippines – The Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) has offered a P100,000 reward to anyone who can provide information that could lead to the arrest of one of the persons deprived of liberty (PDL) who escaped from the New Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City on Monday, January 17.

In an announcement posted on social media, the BuCor identified the PDL as Drakilou Falcon, 34, who was convicted for robbery with homicide.

The bureau said Falcon is still on the loose and search operations are still ongoing.

“BuCor will give P100,000 as a reward to anyone who can provide information on the location of PDL Drakilou Y Falcon who is still at large and considered armed & dangerous,” it said.

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'BUREAU OF CORRECTIONS ู P น้ 900 WANTED FALCON.D.N NZI6P-3297 3297 N218P- AUG17.2018 I7 2018 AUG Name: Age: DRAKILOUYOSORESyFALCON DRAKILOU YOSORES FALCON 34 years old Case 7113-17ViolSec28(A)Ra10591( 8(A)Ra10591 ILLEGAL POSSESSION OF FIREARMS FIREARMSandAMMUNITION and AMMUNITION 17-3174Robbery w/ Homicide P100,000 REWARD!!! PHP100,000 reward will be given to anyone who can provide information on the location PDL FALCON who is considered armed & dangerous. If you have any information, please contact 09186001081/09178046392'

The two other escapees, identified as Pacifico Adlawan and Arwin Bio, were killed on Monday when they allegedly resisted arrest during the manhunt operation conducted by the personnel of the BuCor and the Muntinlupa City Police.

“The safety of the public is of paramount concern and BuCor authorities will not stop until the last escapee is accounted for in order to ensure that the escapee will not be able to inflict harm again,” the BuCor said.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.