Guns, phones used by agents in PNP-PDEA clash to undergo examination – NBI
Robie de Guzman • March 2, 2021 • 569
MANILA, Philippines – Firearms, cellphones and other pieces of evidence recovered from the shooting incident between the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) will undergo examination, the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) said Tuesday.
NBI spokesperson and deputy director Ferdinand Lavin said the PNP and PDEA have already turned over some of the evidence from the alleged misencounter that occurred between its operatives last week along Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City.
These include 29 guns and slugs which will undergo forensic examination to know which among these firearms were used during the shootout.
Police also provided a copy of the technical forensic evidence like autopsy reports, drug tests, DNA tests, paraffin tests, as well as the analysis of bullet trajectories to the NBI.
“Saan nakuha sa crime scene yung empty shells? Sino nakatama kanino? Anong baril nakatama, kanino? Kung may nakuhang slug doon sa katawan ng tao, malalaman natin more or less. Tinitingnan din namin yung relative position nung shooter to the target at approximate distance,” he said.
They will also look at recovered CCTV footage to help determine the positions and actions of operatives before and during the incident.
Cellphones used by the operatives have also been handed over to the investigating body.
Lavin said these devices will be analyzed by the NBI’s digital forensic team.
“Doon sa cellphone, malalaman natin yung takbo ng kwento, especially yung mga operatiba, (coordination?) Yes that’s parts of the analytics na gagawin,” he said.
Lavin said the NBI will gather next testimonial evidence, particularly those involved in the incident.
The NBI has been designated by President Rodrigo Duterte as the sole body to probe the alleged misencounter.
At least four people were killed in the shootout, including two policemen, one PDEA agent, and an informant. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Dante Amento)
MANILA, Philippines – Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Eduardo Año on Tuesday said that police and local government executives should not interfere with community pantries and other similar initiatives organized by private groups.
Año issued the statement following reports that some of the community pantry organizers were being red-tagged and profiled by alleged government authorities.
The DILG chief said police and local government interference should only be limited to ensuring that health protocols are being implemented.
“Since this is a purely voluntary and private initiative, we should not interfere except to ensure that minimum health standards are complied with,” Año said.
“Hence, organizers must adhere to existing laws and local ordinances especially those issued to prevent the spread of Covid-19,” he added.
Año also clarified that he did not order the Philippine National Police (PNP) to look into the community pantries around the country.
“The community pantry has been a traditional practice in our country as part of Bayanihan culture and spirit specially in the times of calamities and disasters,” he said.
“In the spirit of Bayanihan, many Filipinos have been doing selfless acts of kindness since last year.
As long as the intention is good and without political color, it should be encouraged and supported,” he added.
As to the issue of whether organizers are required to secure barangay permits, the DILG chief said that organizers should “consult with the concerned barangays if such is required.”
“The PNP and/or local officials may just come in if there is any violation of law, if there are complaints from the community, or if the organizers seek their help,” he said.
“The LGUs, barangays and the PNP are ready to provide utmost assistance to ensure orderly distribution to the public,” he added.
MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) on Tuesday denied claims that it is profiling the organizers of community pantries that have popped up in various areas amid the coronavirus pandemic.
“There is no order from the National Headquarters to conduct any form of profiling of organizers of community pantries,” PNP chief Debold Sinas said in a statement.
“It is beyond the interest of the PNP to delve into purely voluntary personal activities of private citizens” he added.
Sinas issued the statement following reports that some of the organizers were being red-tagged and profiled by alleged government authorities.
Anna Patricia Non, the person behind the Maginhawa community pantry, earlier announced they would temporarily suspend their operation due to alleged red-tagging.
“We are aware of the activities of these community pantries as an expression of Bayanihan spirit, but we have no intention to interfere but to serve the best interest of law and order and public safety in such public activities,” Sinas said.
“Of particular consideration is the observance of public health standards when there is gathering of ten or more persons that builds-up a crowd,” he added.
The PNP chief noted that this is not the first time that similar activities were initiated amid the pandemic, saying that some farmers’ organizations and local government units have also hauled their produce of fruits and vegetables to help depressed communities in Metro Manila last year.
“Similarly, police did not interfere with these activities rather extended utmost assistance to ensure orderly distribution to the needy,” Sinas said.
MANILA, Philippines – Philippine National Police (PNP) chief General Debold Sinas on Monday ordered an investigation into a road accident that killed 13 people, including children, in Kalinga on Sunday.
Sinas directed the Cordillera Police to look into the incident as he reminded motorists to strictly observe load limits and maximum passenger capacity in private and public vehicles.
He also ordered the PNP Highway Patrol Group to strictly enforce regulations against overloading and other transportation policies.
Sinas’ directive comes after 13 individuals died when their vehicle fell into an irrigation canal in Tabuk City, Kalinga.
The vehicle was driven by Soy Lope Agtula who was identified as a personnel of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology in Bontoc, Mountain Province.
Initial investigation showed that Agtula and his passengers were heading to Bulo Lake from Tadian Mt. Province.
The vehicle was carrying 15 people.
Twelve of the victims were rushed to Mija Kim Medical Center but were declared dead on arrival, while three others were brought to the Kalinga Provincial Hospital (KPH) where one of them died.
Two passengers survived the incident, authorities said.
“I extend my deepest sympathy to the family of these victims. May their souls be at peace and I hope that our Creator brings you the much-needed peace during these trying times,” Sinas said. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Lea Ylagan)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.