Internal organs of artist Bree Jonson returned after autopsy – PNP

Robie de Guzman   •   October 4, 2021   •   228

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippine National Police (PNP) clarified that its investigators have turned over to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) all evidence relating to the autopsy conducted on the remains of artist Bree Jonson.

PNP chief Police General Guillermo Eleazar said that the issue on Jonson’s supposedly missing major internal organs was “the result of a misunderstanding.”

Eleazar issued the statement after the family of the deceased artist claimed that the police were trying to delay the NBI autopsy.

“We understand the sentiments and concerns aired publicly by Bree Jonson’s mother but we would like to assure her and other members of the family that the PNP is not causing any unreasonable delay in the process of investigating Jonson’s death,” he said in a statement on Sunday.

“The PNP is just as committed as Bree’s family to finding out the truth of what really happened,” he added.

Eleazar said that after he received information about the sentiments of Jonson family, he immediately contacted the director of the PNP Crime Laboratory Service to seek clarification on the claim that some of Bree’s organs were supposedly not turned over to the NBI.

He said that officials from the PNP Crime Laboratory met with the NBI and the lawyers of the Jonson family on October 1 where it was “clearly” explained that as part of the protocols, some internal organs that were removed during the autopsy were returned to the abdominal activity after tissue samples were taken for hispathological examination

“During that meeting, the NBI Medico Legal admitted that they have seen the organs except that they could not decipher or distinguish clearly where the heart tissues are along with the stomach and trachea as they were cut into sections to fit the abdominal cavity,” Eleazar said.

He said that the substantial extra tissues were turned over to the NBI in the presence of Jonson’s lawyers along with a complete list of organs.

“The NBI Medico Legal scrutinized the tissues and having accounted them all, they proceeded with the acceptance of these tissues through a chain of custody form, which was signed by NBI and witnessed by the lawyers of the Jonson family,” he said.

“All of these were properly documented as part of the investigation protocol,” he added.

“This means that even before the public statement made by the family of Bree Jonson on this issue, this matter was already clarified in the presence of their lawyers Attorneys Em Salandanan and Jessielyn Sunga,” he further stated.

The PNP chief surmised that the comments made by Jonson’s family “stemmed from a misinterpretation of the procedures,” but assured that this was already clarified to them.

“We are carefully scrutinizing every piece of evidence because we do not want a sloppy or haphazard investigation. I appeal for everyone to avoid making conclusions until the PNP and the NBI have finished their probe on Jonson’s death,” Eleazar said.

The Jonson family previously asked the NBI to conduct another autopsy on Bree’s body.

She was found motionless inside a resort room in La Union on Sept. 18. She was with Julian Ongpin at the time of her death.

Julian is the son of businessman and former trade minister Roberto “Bobby” Ongpin.

Police said she died of asphyxia or lack of oxygen.

Local police who responded to the area seized some 12.6 grams of illegal drugs from the room. A report from the local crime laboratory showed that Ongpin tested positive during the drug test.

Julian was briefly detained by police for alleged violation of Dangerous Drugs Act but was released pending results of the investigation.

He has since been charged with drug possession and remains a person of interest in the case.

Ombudsman junks CIDG petition vs Abayalde anew

Maris Federez   •   November 26, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Office of the Ombudsman has rejected anew the motion filed by the Philippine National Police-Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (PNP-CIDG) seeking the reversal of the decision to acquit former PNP chief Police General Oscar Abayalde of graft charges filed against him.

In its resolution, the Ombudsman said the CIDG’s motion still lack sufficient evidence that will pin down Abayalde to the case.

The resolution added that the CIDG did not submit new arguments that will prove the involvement of the retired general in the case.

The CIDG filed graft charges against Abayalde for his alleged involvement in the anomalous drug operation of police authorities in Pampanga in 2013. —/mbmf

NTC, makikipag-ugnayan sa PNP at NBI para matunton ang nasa likod ng text scams

Robie de Guzman   •   November 23, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Makikipag-ugnayan ang National Telecommunications (NTC) sa pulisya at sa National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) para imbestigahan ang mga nasa likod ng text scams.

Ito ay kasunod na rin ng mga reklamo ng ilang mobile subscribers ukol sa natatanggap nilang mga text messages mula sa mga ‘di kilalang phone numbers na nag-aalok ng trabaho, o kaya ay pautang.

Ayon sa NTC, maraming paraan para makuha ang phone number ng isang indibiduwal na pinapadalhan ng spam texts.

Kabilang na dito ang listahan ng mga number na nagpapaload sa mga tindahan at sa contact tracing system ng mga establisimyento.

Pero giit ni NTC deputy commissioner Edgardo Cabarios, ipinagbabawal ang pagbibigay ng impormasyong ito sa ibang tao at paggamit rito para sa text scams.

“We can coordinate perhaps with NBI at police para surveillance, ano, ma-determine sino yung mga yan—grupo ba sila or individual, et cetera, et cetera,” ani Cabarios.

Payo ng NTC sa publiko, huwag magbigay ng personal na impormasyon kung makakatanggap ng mga ganitong mensahe.

Maaari namang i-block ng NTC ang phone number ng mga gumagawa ng ganitong aktibidad kung hihilingin ng mga magrereklamo.

Kung makakatanggap ng text scams, maaari itong ireport sa NTC Central Office Consumer Welfare and Protection Division sa mga numerong (+63) (02) 8920-4464; (+63) (02) 8926-7722; at (+63) (02) 8921-3251.

Maaari ding magpadala ng mensahe sa e-mail address ng NTC na consumer@ntc.gov.ph. (Mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Asher Cadapan Jr.)

Eleazar orders nighttime patrols for holiday carolers

Robie de Guzman   •   November 11, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Outgoing Philippine National Police (PNP) chief Guillermo Eleazar on Thursday directed police personnel to begin nighttime patrols after the government approved the conduct of street caroling this holiday season.

In a statement, Eleazar said the patrols should be conducted to ensure the security and safety of carolers.

“Inatasan ko ang ating kapulisan na mag-umpisang magsagawa ng mga patrolya tuwing gabi para sa seguridad ng mga nangangaroling at para na rin siguraduhing sumusunod sila sa health protocols,” he said.

Eleazar also urged the public to continue observing health protocols and to not be complacent amid declining COVID-19 cases in the country.

“Kahit pa bumababa ang kaso ng COVID-19, hindi ito dahilan upang maging kampante at magpabaya sa pagsunod sa minimum public health standards,” he said.

The Department of Health earlier said that carolers must wear face mask and face shield as individuals expel more respiratory particles when singing, posing the risk of COVID-19 transmission.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.