ISIS will never gain foothold anywhere in the Philippines—Duterte
Aileen Cerrudo • April 10, 2019 • 2129
President Rodrigo Duterte is confident that ISIS will never gain foothold anywhere in the Philippines.
During his speech in Jolo, Sulu on Tuesday (April 9) in commemoration of the Day of Valor, he said that the government is close to crushing violent extremism and is pleased with the military efforts against the Abu Sayyaf Group.
“Your efforts have brought us even closer to our ultimate objective of totally crushing the violent extremism at its roots. With this, I can confidently declare that ISIS will never gain foothold anywhere in the Philippines,” he said.
ISIS-linked militants held Marawi City hostage back in 2017. The military was able to retake the city after five months killing almost 900 insurgents including Isnilon Hapilon, considered leader of the Islamic State in Southeast Asia.
The Chief Executive assured that he will continue the modernization of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) while he is still in office. He will also provide assistance to the military and their families.
He committed to release P500 million fund for the military.
“I will continue to release 500 more and 500 more millions to my soldierswho do something for their country. I will see to it that you will have funds when you retire and that your school—your children and their schooling will be assured even if we are no longer there either by natural or by any other means of saying goodbye to this world. I have your back covered,” the president said.
The Chief Executive is eyeing on appointing former military officials to government posts. However, he denied using the military to empower himself.
He said that he prefers the military because he has seen failure and corruption in the bureaucracy.
“Hindi ako sabihin na pinapalakas ko ang sarili ko sa (I am not empowering myself using the) military because I do not need that. The people elected me. But I have a special fondness for the military for being fundamentally honest at (and) industrious. Kaya as you would see, the next few officials coming in would be military guys,” he added.—Aileen Cerrudo (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte is open to listening to the public about their sentiments on the issue regarding the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) with the United States (US).
Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said those who wish to voice out their opinions on whether the VFA should be abolished or not can send messages through the government hotline 8888.
“Kung nais ninyong marinig ang inyong boses tungkol dito, huwag po kayong mag-atubili, kayo po ay magpadala ng e-mail o mensahe o kung anuman doon sa mga linya ng ating mga ahensiya sa gobyerno para makarating po kay Presidente (If you want your voices to be heard, do not hesitate and send an email or message through government agency hotlines for it to reach the President),“ he said.
Duterte, during his public address on Wednesday (February 24), said he is still undecided on what to do. He previously demanded the US to pay if it wants the VFA to continue.
Meanwhile, Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Chief of Staff Lt.Gen. Cirilito Sobejana said the military will support the decision of the President but also said the Philippines should be able to defend itself without any assistance. -AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines—President Rodrigo Duterte is set to visit areas affected by the onslaught of tropical depression Auring, Malacañang announced on Tuesday (February 23).
Cabinet Secretary Karlo Nograles in an online briefing said the President wants to see firsthand the damage wrought by Auring and the situation of displaced residents. Duterte will visit the affected areas in the Caraga region accompanied by several members of the Cabinet.
Nograles reported that financial aid has already been given to the residents. He further assured that additional relief assistance will also be provided.
As of February 22, the number of families affected by Auring has reached 28,009. AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines—President Rodrigo Duterte has certified as urgent two proposed measures that seek to expedite the procurement of COVID-19 vaccines, vaccine czar Secretary Carlito Galvez Jr. confirmed.
On Thursday (February 18), Galvez announced that the President has certified as urgent two proposed legislations: Senate Bill 2057 or An act expediting the procurement and administration of vaccines for the protection against the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19); and House Bill 8648 or Proposed Emergency Vaccine Procurement Act of 2021.
“Pinirmahan na po ng ating mahal na pangulo ang pag-sertipika ng panukalang batas as urgent. Nag-usap po kami kanina kasama po si Senator Bong Go at magandang balita po na talagang napirmahan na po niya ang Senate Bill na nakikita natin na makatutulong po sa atin,“ he said.
Senatre Majority Leader Miguel Zubiri, in a statement, said the Senate will try to pass the bill on second and third reading by Monday.
Meanwhile, the President has also approved a memorandum order that will authorize the local government to provide advance payments exceeding 15% of the total contract amount for the procurement of COVID-19 vaccines. AAC (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.