Japan says North Korea missile launch violates U.N. resolution

admin   •   June 30, 2014   •   2568

Japan’s Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga (C) prepares to leave a news conference as reporters rush to leave from the conference room at Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s official residence in Tokyo May 29, 2014.
CREDIT: REUTERS/YUYA SHINO

(Reuters) – Japan’s top government spokesman said on Monday North Korea’s missile launch the previous day violated a United Nations resolution and that Tokyo would respond in cooperation with other nations, such as the United States and South Korea.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga also told a news conference Japan and North Korea would hold talks in Beijing from Tuesday as scheduled.

North Korea agreed last month to reopen an investigation into the fate of Japanese citizens it kidnapped decades ago. In return, Japan will ease some economic sanctions when the probe starts and consider humanitarian aid later.

North Korea fired two short-range ballistic missiles into the sea east of its coast on Sunday, South Korea’s military said, defying a U.N. ban on the isolated North testing such weapons.

(Reporting by Hitoshi Ishida; Writing by Kaori Kaneko; Editing by Paul Tait)

US donates 500 shelter-grade tarps for families affected by Typhoon Kiko in Batanes

Marje Pelayo   •   September 24, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The United States government through the USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance donated 500 shelter-grade tarpaulins for Filipino families in Batanes whose houses were affected by Typhoon Kiko (International name Chanthu).

The tarps, which arrived on Thursday (September 24), were transported by USAID Philippines partner International Organization for Migration (IOM) Philippines in cooperation with the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) and the Philippine Air Force.

Soon, another 450 USAID shelter-grade tarps will be delivered to the province through the assistance of the Philippine Navy.

All tarpaulin shelters will help 500 affected families in the province.

 

PH gets additional US-donated Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine doses

Robie de Guzman   •   September 21, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Philippines has received another batch of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccines donated by the United States government, the National Task Force (NTF) against COVID-19 said.

In a statement, the NTF said 561,600 more Pfizer shots from the US government through World Health Organization (WHO)-led COVAX facility arrived in Manila on Monday night.

Last September 19, the Philippines also received a total of 2,020,590 doses of Pfizer shots, which were also donated by the US through COVAX.

“I’m really proud that we donated for the last two days more than 2 million doses that will give more than a million Filipinos full vaccination,” US Embassy Chargé d’Affaires Heather Variava said.

Variava also expressed gratitude to the government of the Philippines, the WHO, and UNICEF for the continuing partnership which is helping to save lives and overcome the pandemic.

The latest batch of Pfizer vaccines were immediately transported to the Pharmaserve cold storage facility in Marikina City.

NTF special adviser Dr. Teodoro Herbosa said that majority of these vaccines will be deployed to Region 4-A, Region 3, Cebu, and Davao.

“We continue to catch up in those areas where we only have about 3% to 5% fully vaccinated [individuals]. So hinahabol talaga natin ‘yung outside NCR.” Herbosa said.

Aside from the donated jabs, 3,935,880 procured Pfizer doses have been delivered to the Philippines as part of the 40 million doses the country has secured from the American pharmaceutical firm.

In total, the Philippines has received some 16 million COVID-19 vaccine doses from the COVAX Facility.

As of September 20, a total of 64,942,000 COVID-19 vaccine doses coming from various manufacturers have been delivered to the Philippines since February.

PH gov’t intensifying readiness vs terror threat amid Japan warning – Palace

Robie de Guzman   •   September 16, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang on Thursday assured that the military and police forces are intensifying their readiness against any possible threat to national security.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque gave the assurance following the advisory issued by the government of Japan for its residents to avoid crowded areas and religious ins six Southeast Asian countries, including the Philippines.

“Nagpapasalamat po tayo sa impormasyon. Pero lalo lang po nating pinaiigting ang ating kahandaan para po harapin ang posibleng terroristic attack muli,” Roque said in a Palace briefing.

The Palace official said state forces have been on heightened alert since the Marawi siege happened in 2017.

Roque, however, urged the public to be vigilant and to immediately report any suspicious individuals and activities in their areas.

“Nakahanda naman po ang ating kapulisan at ang ating Hukbong Sandatahan at hinihiling din atin ang kooperasyon ng ating mga mamamayan. I-report po ninyo sa kapulisan kung mayroon kayong kaduda-dudang mga personalidad o di naman kaya mga kadudang mga bagay-bagay lalo na sa mga pampublikong lugar,” he said.

The Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police earlier said they have not monitored any terror threat but are working to validate the information.

Aside from the Philippines, the warning issued by the Japanese government also covers Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, Myanmar, and Malaysia.

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.