Japan’s old flip-phones soldier on while smartphones shrink

admin   •   February 16, 2015   •   2642

A pedestrian holding her mobile phone walks past an electronic board showing the stock market indices of various countries outside a brokerage in Tokyo October 20, 2014.
CREDIT: REUTERS/YUYA SHINO

(Reuters) – Japanese shipments of traditional flip-phones rose in 2014 for the first time in seven years while smartphone shipments fell, highlighting Japanese consumers’ tenacious attachment to the familiar and typically less expensive older models.

Dubbed “Galapagos” phones because they have evolved to meet unique Japanese standards and tastes, flip-phone shipments rose 5.7 percent to 10.58 million in 2014, data from market researcher MM Research Institute Ltd shows. Smartphone shipments fell 5.3 percent to 27.70 million, down for a second year.

Users in Japan pay some of the highest smartphone fees among developed nations, the telecommunications ministry says, while flip-phone rates are among the lowest. Many Japanese accustomed to years of deflation are content with old-style flip-phones offering voice calling, email and in most cases basic Internet services.

Japanese electronics companies Panasonic Corp and NEC Corp have pulled out of the consumer smartphone business, unable to compete with dominant brands Apple Inc and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd. They still make flip-phones, though, competing in a crowded market with Fujitsu Ltd and Sharp Corp, among others.

But with a mobile penetration rate of 98.5 percent, or 125 million subscriptions, there is little scope for significant overall growth in Japan’s mobile market, MM Research said. “Smartphones are also peaking in terms of functionality and they tend to last a long time as well, so there are fewer renewals,” said MM Research Executive Analyst Hideaki Yokota. He said 2014 was a particularly strong year for renewals in the subscription cycle for flip-phones, suggesting that last year’s growth may not be repeated this year.

Japan’s mobile phone shipments: link.reuters.com/gex93w

(Editing by Edmund Klamann)

Team PH to fight for gold at Tokyo 2020 Paralympics starting August 26

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 25, 2021

Five Paralympians from Team Philippines will fight for gold beginning August 26 at the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games.

On Thursday (August 26), Gary Bejino will compete at the men’s SM6 200-meter individual medley at the Tokyo Aquatic Center.

Ernie Gawilan and Jerrold Mangliwan will compete on August 27 for men’s SM7 200-meter individual medley, and men’s 400 meter T52, respectively.

Meanwhile, Jeanette Aceveda will compete at the women’s discus throw F11 on August 31; and on September 3, Allain Ganapin will fight at the qualification stage of the men’s K44-75kg taekwando.

Pinoy athlete for Tokyo 2020 Paralympics tested positive for COVID-19

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 23, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — Only five out of the six Filipino athletes competing for the Tokyo 2020 Summer Paralympics will push through after one athlete tested positive for coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

In a statement, the Philippine Paralympic Committee announced that one official and one athlete tested positive for COVID-19. The agency said the said individuals are currently under isolation to contain the virus. No information was given on which Paralympian was tested positive for the virus.

Philippine Sports Commission (PSC) Chairman William Ramirez, during a public briefing on Monday (August 23), assured that all the athletes were vaccinated. He also said that the whole delegation is already in Tokyo to prepare for the Summer Paralympics on Tuesday (August 23).

“You’re not really sure, kung each one of us, whether you are going to the Olympics or not, [if] you are positive. It’s so unfortunate na isa sa mga atleta (that one of our athletes) tested positive,” he said.

Ramirez said the PSC will be extending its support to the said athlete. He also assured that the incident would further motivate the remaining athletes to do their best in bringing home the gold medal. AAC

Petecio wins silver medal at the Olympics

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 3, 2021

Nesthy Petecio is the first Filipina boxer to win an Olympic medal after securing a silver at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday (August 3) at the Kokukigan Arena.

Facing her long-time rival, Japan’s Sena Irie denied Petecio of winning the gold via unanimous decision, 5-0. The judges scored 29-28, 29-28, 29-28, 29-28, 30-27 in favor of Irie. This is the fourth time that the two boxers have pitted against each other in the international stage.

Irie opened the fight with her constant jabs gaining the advantage in the first few rounds. Petecio fights back in the next few rounds, however, it was not enough to regain the advantage from Irie.

Despite settling for silver, Petecio still made history by winning the Philippines’ first boxing medal in 25 years since Onyok Velasco won the silver medal at the 1996 Atlanta Games.   AAC

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.