The Philippines is set to return 50 containers of trash from the Mindanao International Container Terminal (MICT) back to South Korea within the month.
According to the Bureau of Customs (BOC), over 6,000 tons of waste from South Korea were shipped into the Philippines in 2018. They were declared plastic waste but was reported to contain mixed non-biodegradable waste.
The first shipment of re-exportation was successfully done in January 13, 2019 which included 51 containers.
“Additional batches shall be re-exported on February 16 and February 23 which shall bring the total re-exported wastes to 201 containers and shall finally rid the country of the illegally imported wastes,” MICT Port Collector John Simon said in a statement.
Simon said that once the total of 6,500 tons of trash is returned, the Philippines will still ask South Korea to pay for damages after violating the Basel Convention.
Simon also stressed that the Bureau shall remain firm in its commitment of protecting the country’s borders from the entry of any illegal shipments including wastes that are harmful to the environment.—AAC (with reports from Aiko Miguel)
Actors of the South Korean movie “Parasite” returned home to a warm welcome early Wednesday (February 12), after winning four titles at the Oscars.
Without Director Bong Joon-ho, who is staying in the United States for few more days, veteran actor Song Kang-ho and fellow cast members along with production staff arrived at the Incheon International Airport to a rousing reception from the media.
The movie, a dark social satire from South Korea, won the Oscar for best picture on Sunday (February 9), making history as the first film in a language other than English to claim the movie industry’s highest honor.
Parasite, which explores the gap between the rich and poor in modern Seoul, netted a total of four Oscars, including best director and original screenplay for director Bong and best international feature film.
No film had ever won both international feature film and best picture at the Oscars. (Reuters)
A South Korean patient who had been treated for coronavirus, left hospital on Wednesday (February 12) after producing two negative test results.
Earlier this month, the 38-year-old South Korean patient was confirmed as the country’s 17th case of the new coronavirus after he attended a conference in Singapore in late January.
He became the 7th patient who has recovered and discharged from hospital, the Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said.
“I don’t think the illness is as serious as people think. I watched the news a lot, but I think you can get treated, recover fully, and get discharged from the hospital if there are quick responses (to the virus) at the early stages,” he said after stepping out of the hospital.
As of 0700GMT, South Korea has reported total 28 confirmed cases and 7 patients among them have been released from quarantine, according to KCDC. (Reuters)
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.