Last Congo Ebola patient discharged with end of outbreak in sight

UNTV News   •   March 4, 2020   •   284

The last patient being treated for Ebola in Democratic Republic of Congo was discharged on Tuesday (March 3), the World Health Organization (WHO) said, bringing the 19-month-old outbreak closer than ever to an end.

Masika Semida’s release from hospital in the eastern city of Beni, feted by hospital staff who sang, danced and drummed, marks the first time there has been no active cases since the outbreak was declared in August 2018.

In that period, the virus has killed 2,264 people and infected nearly 1,200 more, making it the second-worst Ebola outbreak in history. Only the 2013-16 epidemic in West Africa was deadlier, killing more than 11,000.

Congo has now gone 14 days without any new confirmed cases. The outbreak can be declared over once 42 days have passed without a new case – equivalent to two cycles of 21 days, the maximum incubation period for the virus. (Reuters Connect)

(Production: Edwin Waita, Erikas Mwisi, Louisa Naks)

COVID-19 pandemic speeding up globally, more resilience needed: WHO chief

UNTV News   •   June 30, 2020

The COVID-19 pandemic is still speeding up, and the world will have to face a new normal of living with the virus in the coming months, World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned on Monday.

According to WHO data, as of 15:15 CEST on Monday, the total confirmed number of COVID-19 cases reported to the WHO worldwide had amounted to 10,021,401, including 499,913 deaths.

At a press conference held on Monday, Tedros said that Tuesday marks six months since the first reports of COVID-19 cases in the world. As the global cases exceed 10 million, people should rethink the lessons they’ve learned, and recommit themselves to doing everything to save lives.

“Six months ago, none of us could have imagined how our world and our lives would be thrown into turmoil by this new virus. The pandemic has brought out the best and the worst of humanity. All over the world, we have seen heartwarming acts of resilience, inventiveness, solidarity, and kindness. But we have also seen concerning signs of stigma, misinformation, and the politicization of the pandemic,” he said.

Tedros said that globally, the pandemic is speeding up. He warned all countries to prepare for a long-term battle.

“The critical question that all countries will face in the coming months is how to live with this virus. That is the new normal. We all want this to be over. We all want to get on with our lives. But the hard reality is, this is not even close to being over. Although many countries have made some progress, globally, the pandemic is actually speeding up,” he said. (Reuters)

Coronavirus pandemic getting worse globally, WHO head Tedros says

UNTV News   •   June 26, 2020

The COVID-19 pandemic is subsiding in Europe, but getting worse globally with the number of infections expected to reach 10 million next week and the number of deaths 500,000, the head of the World Health Organisation Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Thursday (June 25).

Speaking via video-conference with members of the European Parliament’s health committee, Tedros said more than 9.2 million COVID-19 cases had been reported to the Geneva-based WHO.

He warned the international community that the virus is still circulating, adding it was ‘time to be on our guard, not to let it down.’

The former Ethiopian health minister said it could take a year before an effective vaccine against the coronavirus that has caused the COVID-19 pandemic were to be invented.

Tedros rejected criticism that China did not warn other countries about the epidemic early enough, saying it was not possible to compare its response time with anyone.

He praised the Chinese authorities for the ‘very strong social measures’ it implemented in Wuhan – where the disease was first identified in late 2019 – and for being able to ‘identify the virus at a record time.’ (Reuters)

(Production Clement Rossignol)

WHO sees 10-millionth coronavirus case next week, says UK tests system ‘capable’

UNTV News   •   June 25, 2020

World Health Organization Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday (June 24) he expected the number of novel coronavirus cases around the world, now at about 9.3 million, to reach 10 million next week.

Tedros also told a news briefing he backed Saudi Arabia’s decision to ban pilgrims from abroad from attending the annual Haj pilgrimage to help limit the spread of the virus.

Dr. Mike Ryan, head of the WHO emergencies programme, said the pandemic for many countries in the Americas had not yet peaked, and that it was “still intense”, especially in Central and South America.

Britain’s coronavirus testing programme could help to give a picture of how the virus spread of the virus in the country, Ryan said, adding that many countries including Britain had “fought hard” and were making a “steady” exit from lockdown. (Reuters)

(Production: Yiming Woo)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.