LIST: Weekend road repair, reblocking in Metro Manila
Robie de Guzman • February 21, 2020 • 497
MANILA, Philippines – Some roads in Metro Manila will be closed for scheduled road repair and reblocking starting Friday, February 21, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) said.
In an advisory, the DPWH said the following roads will undergo repair and reblocking beginning 11 p.m. Friday until 5 a.m. on Monday, February 24:
Bonifacio Ave. 11th Ave. to Sgt. Rivera St. (3rd lane from the sidewalk)
EDSA Guzent to Roosevelt Ave. (3rd lane from the sidewalk)
EDSA approach BP Tuazon flyover to approach A. of Boni Serrano flyover (3rd lane from MRT Line)
General Luis St. Samote St. to SB Road
Elliptical Road from Kalayaan Ave to Maharlika St. (4th lane from the outer sidewalk)
EDSA QC after Aurora Blvd. to New York St. (3rd lane from the sidewalk)
Meanwhile, portions along C-5 cor. Eagle St., along Julia Vargas, and along Pasig Blvd. will be closed by 10 p.m. Friday night until 4 a.m. on Monday to give way to the construction of Manila Water’s main sewer network.
Affected motorists are advised to expect heavier than usual traffic and use alternate routes instead.
MANILA, Philippines – Metro Manila may return to stricter enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) if the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) situation worsens in the capital region.
In a televised press briefing, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque said the government may possibly reimpose ECQ on Metro Manila if hospitals in the region hit maximum capacity due to surge in COVID-19 cases.
“Pag lumala talaga, at mawalan tayo ng critical care capacity o di kaya ay case doubling rate ay bumalik sa dati na napakabilis, wala po tayong alternatibo,” he said.
“Yun nga po ang pinapakiusap sa ating kababayan, pag tayo bumalik sa mas estriktong quarantine, baka wala na po tayong hanapbuhay na pwedeng gawin,” he added.
Roque issued the statement after the country recorded a record-high 2,434 additional cases on Sunday, bringing the total cases to 44,254. Most of these infections were reported in Metro Manila.
Metro Manila is currently under general community quarantine where public transport and some business sectors have been allowed to resume operations at a limited capacity.
It was previously placed under ECQ for more than two months.
The Department of Health earlier said that the spike in infections was due to increased physical contact of the public following the easing of quarantine restrictions.
But Roque said the government had no choice but to loosen the quarantine measures in order to revitalize the economy.
“Wala naman tayong alternatibo kundi magbukas ng ekonomiya… Kung di pa po natin mabubuksan, mamya buhay nga tayo, mamatay naman tayo dahil wala tayong hanapbuhay,” he said.
The Palace official, meanwhile, belied reports that hospitals in Metro Manila have reached full capacity amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Roque said that as of July 5, Metro Manila’s critical care utilization is still at 63 percent or moderate risk level.
He also clarified that many hospitals have yet to breach the 30 percent hospital bed capacity for coronavirus patients.
“Nililinaw po namin na yung mga kumakalat na fake news na ubos na raw po ang hospital beds sa ating mga ospital, di po yan totoo,” he said.
Roque also revealed that Health Undersecretary Leopoldo Vega has been designated to head the Hospital One Incident Command which will determine the critical care utilization and hospital care capacity rate. – RRD (with details from Correspondent Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines — President Rodrigo Duterte has decided to extend the implementation of enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in Cebu City until July 15, 2020.
The President noted the “stubbornness” of its residents despite strict government protocols to curb the spread of COVID-19. He cited the situation in Talisay City where people tend to ignore social distancing protocols, with some even engaging in drinking sprees and gambling.
“Ayaw ninyo maniwala, bakit marami? One of the reasons — even without consulting the Body— because you did not follow rules,” President Duterte said.
“You have the highest. Cebu is now the new hotspot for COVID-19. Bakit? Marami sa inyo ay hindi sumusunod,” he added.
The President expressed concern over the situations in Cebu City which he hopes will improve through the supervision of Environment Secretary Roy Cimatu.
Meanwhile, Metro Manila and the following areas will remain under general community quarantine (GCQ) until July 15:
Talisay City, Minglanilla and Consolacion Municipalities in Cebu Province
The President commended the response of residents in the said areas to the government-imposed protocols which helped slow down the rate of COVID-19 infection.
“You know Manila, maraming tao but because sumunod nila — with few violations thereabout— we here in Manila have a good chance of at least avoiding it,” he said.
To save the economy, Finance Secretary Carlos Dominguz recommended to the President the further relaxing of quarantine measures in Metro Manila and the CALABARZON region.
The rest of the country, meanwhile, will remain under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) specifically those identified as moderate and low risk areas where localized community quarantine and minimum health standards may strictly be observed. MNP (with reports from Rosalie Coz)
MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) on Tuesday assured it will continue to provide assistance to individuals who are stranded in Metro Manila due to coronavirus quarantine measures.
“DSWD will continue to coordinate with local government units and concerned agencies to determine and provide appropriate interventions and assistance to LSIs (locally-stranded individuals) in Metro Manila,” the agency said in a statement on Monday night.
The department said that on June 17, it provided financial assistance, through its Field Office National Capital Region (FO-NCR), to around 500 LSIs currently staying in Pier 4 in North Port, Manila.
Most of the LSIs who received aid under the Assistance to Individuals in Crisis Situation (AICS) program were stranded workers, students and overseas Filipino workers (OFW) who were unable to return to their provinces amid the coronavirus crisis.
The DSWD also reported that LSIs temporarily staying in the facility of the Armed Forces of the Philippines in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig City have also received financial aid on June 19.
Officers of the DSWD FO also went to the Philippine Coast Guard Gymnasium, Eva Macapagal Port Area in Manila to distribute Family Food Packs (FFPs), sleeping kits, and sanitation kits for OFWs stranded in Pier 15, South Port.
Earlier, the department also provided financial assistance and non-food items to LSIs staying at the Villamor Airbase Elementary School and at the Philippine State College of Aeronautics in Pasay City.
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.