Malacañang: Arbitral ruling is useless unless claimant countries unite vs. China

Marje Pelayo   •   November 20, 2018   •   2906

 

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo

MANILA, Philippines – Malacañang admitted that the Philippines cannot make use of the arbitral ruling to insist its sovereign rights on the disputed islands in the South China Sea.

Though the Arbitral court ruled that it has jurisdiction over the case filed by the Philippines against China under the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), its decision in 2015 remained useless as it is not binding and no international body has the power to implement the decision.

However, the Palace said, it does not mean that the Philippines will just watch and not act to defend its rights over the disputed territories.

Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo recalled President Rodrigo Duterte’s words that someday, the Philippines will have its chance to press its rights to China.

When asked if the ruling is useless, Panelo said, “As of now, yes. But as I said, we can get what we are supposed to have by negotiation.”

He added that the ruling will become substantial if all claimant countries will unite and support the ruling against China.

“Perhaps, if all countries of the world will unite, and pressure China, who knows? In other words, there must be a collective action by the countries of the world, and either persuade or pressure China into respecting the arbitral decision. We cannot give us this claim simply because it’s already ours. we’ve won it and it will be there forever,” Panelo added.

Meanwhile, the Palace questioned the timing and the questionnaire of the latest survey of the Social Weather Stations (SWS) which stated in the results that more Filipinos are against the alleged “inaction” or corruption in the Duterte administration on the issue of West Philippine Sea.

The survey was released on the day of President Xi Jinping’s arrival in the Philippines for the state visit.

Panelo claimed that the questionnaires seemed suggestive.

He denied the government’s alleged inaction on the matter.

“We have one entered into bilateral talks, where problems common to this region are discussed like security, like terrorism, like the drug menace, like trade relations, will be beneficial to all countries in this region,” Panelo said. – Marje Pelayo (with reports from Rosalie Coz)

DND verifying report on alleged presence of a Chinese ship off Zambales

Robie de Guzman   •   August 12, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of National Defense (DND) on Thursday said it is verifying reports on the alleged presence of a Chinese research ship that was spotted near Panatag Shoal in the West Philippine Sea.

In a statement, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said facts gathered by the maritime patrols in the area will be basis of their next course of action.

“Rest assured that the AFP, through the Northern Luzon Command, undertakes regular domain awareness operations and provides all the necessary support to the Philippine Coast Guard and other agencies to secure and implement our laws in our territorial waters and the EEZ,” he said.

Chinese and other foreign vessels have previously been spotted in contested areas in the West Philippine Sea.

The Philippine government has repeatedly filed diplomatic protests on the presence of Chinese ships in Philippine waters.

 

Laguna, Iloilo City, Cagayan de Oro placed under ECQ starting August 6

Aileen Cerrudo   •   August 5, 2021

Laguna, Iloilo City, and Cagayan de Oro will be placed under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) starting August 6.

In a statement, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque Jr. said President Rodrigo Duterte approved the recommendation of the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) to place the said areas under ECQ beginning August 6 until August 15. This is amid the continuous threat of the highly transmissible COVID-19 Delta variant.

Cavite, Lucena City, Rizal and Iloilo Province, meanwhile, will be placed under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) from August 6 to August 15.

Batangas and Quezon, on the other hand, shall be placed under general community quarantine (GCQ) with heightened restrictions from August 6 to August 15. AAC

 

Pahayag ni Pangulong Duterte na pagdadala ng maraming pera sa kampanya, idinepensa ng Palasyo

Robie de Guzman   •   July 19, 2021

MANILA, Philippines – Ipinagtanggol ng Palasyo ng Malakanyang ang panibagong kontrobersiyal na pahayag ni Pangulong Rodrigo Duterte hinggil sa pagdadala ng maraming pera sa pangangampanya.

Ayon kay Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque, fund-raising sa mga pribadong indibiduwal ang tinutukoy ng punong ehekutibo na hindi naman aniya ipinagbabawal ng batas.

Batid rin aniya ng pangulo na iligal gamitin ang pondo ng taumbayan para sa anomang partisan activities lalo na sa vote-buying.

“There is no prohibition in the Omnibus Election Code to raise funds from private individuals for the candidacies of individuals. So, that is what the president meant, it is an assurance to his party mates that he will not only physically campaign for them he will also raise funds for them,” ang paliwanag ni Roque.

Sa National Assembly ng partidong PDP-Laban sa Clark, Pampanga noong Sabado, sinabi ni Pangulong Duterte na handa siyang mangampanya para sa mga miyembro ng partido na nais muling kumandidato sa nalalapit na halalan. Magdadala rin aniya siya ng sako-sakong pera.

“Those running for reelection, ikakampanya ko kayo city por city. Totoo ‘yan. Kayong mga nagtatakbo, I will — I commit to you. Talagang pupunta ako city por city, province por province, kakampanya ko kayo. Pero — at saka magdala ako ng maraming pera por sako kung mayroon,” ang pahayag ng pangulo.

Una nang kinuwestiyon ni Bagong Alyansang Makabayan Secretary-General Renato Reyes ang pahayag na ito ng punong ehekutibo at sinabing may salapi ang pangulo para sa kampanya pero walang pera para sa ayuda sa pandemic response, at mga sektor na labis na naapektuhan ng krisis.

Samantala, sinabi naman ng Palasyo na sa kasalukuyan ay wala pang pinal na listahan ng senatorial bets si Pangulong Duterte para sa 2022 elections bagaman ilan na sa kaniyang mga gabinete ang iniendorso nito sa publiko. – RRD (mula sa ulat ni Correspondent Rosalie Coz)

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.