Man, 22, and a minor nabbed for Bulacan rape-slay

admin   •   August 16, 2018   •   6314

 

Melvin Altubar,22, and his 16-year old accomplice were arrested on Wednesday, August 15 for the rape and slay of a 15-year-old girl in Pulilan, Bulacan.

Based on initial investigation of Bulacan- PNP, the body of teenager, Angelica Calimlim was found floating in a creek in Barangay Dampol Uno on Monday, August 13.

Calimlim was last seen on August 7 when she went to the store on an errand that she never returned from.

Before being killed, the victim was allegedly raped and her body forcibly stuffed into a sewer by the suspects — one of whom was her text mate.

The victim’s cellphone served as a lead for the police when one of the suspects pawned it after committing the crime.

Pulilan Police chief Supt. Arwin Tadeo said, “Merong tayong asset na nagbigay nagturo sa atin sa cellphone ng biktima na isinanla sa isang tao doon din sa lugar… kinuha natin ang cellphone at pinakita sa kapatid at nanay, positive na inidentify.”

(We have a police asset who tipped us about victim’s cellphone being pawned in the same area…we took the cellphone and showed it to the victim’s family who positively identified the item.)

In their defense, suspect Altubar said, “Nasobrahan po kami sa lasing kaya po namin nagawa yun… Nakapatay po kami ng tao.”

(We were so drunk that’s why we did it….we ended up killing someone.)

Altubar will be facing charges of rape, murder and robbery, while his young accomplice will be turned over to the custody of Department of Social Welfare and Development. — Reynante Ponte

IATF places Bulacan, Apayao, Capiz under GCQ beginning October 18

Aileen Cerrudo   •   October 18, 2021

MANILA, Philippines— Quarantine restrictions in the provinces of Bulacan, Apayao, and Capiz have been downgraded, Malacañang announced Sunday.

“The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) approved the recommendation to place the said provinces under general community quarantine (GCQ) from October 18 to October 31, ” presidential spokesperson Harry Roque said.

Bulacan and Apayao were initially placed under modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) while Capiz was previously under GCQ with heightened restrictions.

Under GCQ, any person below 18 years old, above 65 years old, including those with immunodeficiency, comorbidity, or other health risks, and pregnant women, shall be required to remain in their residences at all times, except for obtaining essential goods and services, or for work in industries and offices.

Entertainment and recreational venues, casinos, and outdoor sports are sill not permitted to operate during GCQ. Face-to-face or in-person classes for basic education shall be suspended. AAC

QC records 66% increase in violence against women and children

Aileen Cerrudo   •   September 27, 2021

The Quezon City Police District (QCPD) reported a 66.67% increase in violence against women and children (VAWC) cases and a 21.54% increase in rape cases.

QCPD Director BGen. Antonio Yarra reported an increase in VAWC and rape cases in the first eight months of the year compared to the same period last year.

He also noted that the pandemic played a significant role in the upward trend, as most families are at home.

This was compounded by the financial difficulties experienced by many families, resulting in domestic conflict.

Most of the recorded cases were of physical abuse, with psychological abuse a distant second.

“We have launched a campaign to make women aware of their rights and make them advocates so they will be encouraged to report abuses,” he said.

QC Mayor Joy Belmonte expressed concern on the issue and rallied victims or their relatives and friends to report such abuses through the QC Protection Center Hotline 122, or to the barangay and QCPD women’s desk.

She also directed concerned local authorities to closely monitor and act swiftly on calls and reports pertaining to VAWC and other gender-based incidents.

“We cannot let any QCitizen suffer from gender-based violence in Quezon City especially during the pandemic,” she said.

Belmonte reported that the Quezon City government together with the QCPD are set to launch a unified information management system to facilitate the monitoring and hasten the investigation of VAWC cases. –AAC

Residents in parts of Bulacan warned amid Ipo Dam spilling ops

Marje Pelayo   •   September 14, 2021

MANILA, Philippines — The Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAGASA) Hydrometeorology Division advises residents in some parts of Bulacan to take caution amid the continuous spilling operations at Ipo Dam.

As of 8:00 a.m. Tuesday (September 14), the water level of Ipo Dam is 100.72 meters.

The dam management continues to conduct spilling operations with one gate open and thus, PAGASA advised residents in low-lying areas and those living near the riverbanks of Angat River from Norzagaray, Angat, San Rafael, Bustos, Baliuag, Pulilan, Plaridel, Calumpit, and Hagonoy to be alert for possible increase in water level.

PAGASA assured that it will continue to monitor the hydrological condition of Ipo Dam along with the Dam management for updates.

TAGS   , ,

REACH US

The Philippine Broadcast Hub

UNTV, 915 Barangay Philam,

EDSA, Quezon City M.M. 1104

(+632) 8396-8688 (Tel)

info@untv-newsandrescue.com (General inquiries)

ABOUT UNTV

UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.