Marikina completes road clean-up ahead of 60-day deadline; QC clears 80 barangays so far
Maris Federez • August 16, 2019 • 1705
Even before the 60-day deadline set by the Department of the Interior and Local Government, Marikina City has cleared 100 percent of the streets and sidewalks in the city.
“Ang ginagawa ng Marikina ngayon ay maintenance na. Based on the assesment sa compliance team ng DILG sa Marikina complied na ang Marikina at tapos na ang Marikina sa clearing of sidewalks and road ways [What Marikina is doing now is maintenance. Based on the assessment of the DILG compliance team, Marikina has complied with the clearing of sidewalks and road ways],” Mayor Marcy Teodoro said.
The DILG ordered the local government to submit a report stating the measures they took to clear the roads and sidewalks.
DILG Secretary Eduardo Ano said that what the Marikina City is doing, and even what it has done in the past, is worth emulating.
“Ang maganda sa Marikina paglabas mo ng bangketa hindi na sayo yan, pagaari na ng publiko yan kaya walang hari ng bangketa dun. Kaya dapat masundan natin ginawa ng Marikina [What is great about Marikina is that once you step out to the sidewalk, it’s not part of your property anymore. It’s owned by the public so no one can be a bully and own it. So we really need to follow what Marikina has done],” Ano added.
Meanwhile, the Quezon City government has cleaned up 80 barangays in the past three weeks since the DILG ordered it.
QC mayor Joy Belmonte said it was a tall order for them to maintain the roads and the sidewalks free from obstruction.
To address this, the local government will implement a stricter policy against illegal parking.
“Mag pi-print tayo ng maraming violation tickets. Tiket lang ng ticket. Tingin ko that is a good solution para masanay sila. Kung magviolate sila ng mag violate eh seryoso tayo ipenalized sila. [We will print many violation tickets. We will issue tickets left and right. I think that is a good solution for them to get used to it. If they will violate repeatedly, we will show them we are serious to penalize them], Belmonte said.
“Nagpabili na rin ako ng maraming wheel clamping devices para mag wheel clamping na tayo [I have also ordered to purchase as many wheel-clamping devices so we can already do wheel clamping (on vehicles)],” she added.
As she promised last week, the QC government demolished the barangay hall of Damayang Lagi in a clearing operation conducted on Friday, together with the DILG and the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA).
Dmayang Lagi officials are now temporarily holding office at an improvised container van.
Belmonte said they still need to demolish 17 more barangay halls in the entire city to decongest the streets.
The group also destroyed a police traffic sector in Balintawak as it causes traffic congestion in the area.
The DILG will once again meet with the metro mayors for the assessment of their clearing operations and identify areas that are yet to be developed by the local governments. (from the report of Joan Nano) /mbmf
He also noted that the pandemic played a significant role in the upward trend, as most families are at home.
This was compounded by the financial difficulties experienced by many families, resulting in domestic conflict.
Most of the recorded cases were of physical abuse, with psychological abuse a distant second.
“We have launched a campaign to make women aware of their rights and make them advocates so they will be encouraged to report abuses,” he said.
QC Mayor Joy Belmonte expressed concern on the issue and rallied victims or their relatives and friends to report such abuses through the QC Protection Center Hotline 122, or to the barangay and QCPD women’s desk.
She also directed concerned local authorities to closely monitor and act swiftly on calls and reports pertaining to VAWC and other gender-based incidents.
“We cannot let any QCitizen suffer from gender-based violence in Quezon City especially during the pandemic,” she said.
Belmonte reported that the Quezon City government together with the QCPD are set to launch a unified information management system to facilitate the monitoring and hasten the investigation of VAWC cases. –AAC
Quezon City Mayor Joy Belmonte on Thursday said she has ordered the City Health Department to vaccinate all individuals residing and working in closed and long-term care facilities.
Belmonte issued the order after the city’s Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Unit (QCESU) submitted a report on 13 facilities it has visited and surveyed so far.
The said facilities include orphanages, home care facilities, apostolate centers, and rehabilitation centers among others.
According to CESU chief Dr. Rolando Cruz, the 13 facilities have an estimated 1,027 employees and clients, 594 of which have yet to receive a first dose of COVID vaccine.
“We are working closely with the city’s vaccination team so inoculation can be done at the soonest possible time,” Cruz said in a statement.
Meanwhile, Belmonte confirmed she has seen media reports about the deaths of some nuns from the Religious of the Virgin Mary in Cubao, which reported a COVID-19 outbreak.
However, the city has yet to receive official information from the facility itself.
“On behalf of the city government, I would like to express my sincerest condolences to the whole RVM community for losing some of their sisters to COVID,” said Belmonte.
She assured that the local government remains committed to extending assistance and support to all closed and long-term care facilities in the city “to control infection and to prevent deaths from possible future outbreaks.”
Belmonte earlier said she has ordered for the issuance of guidelines that seek to improve the infectious disease resiliency of these facilities through better ventilation.
The guidelines will also help closed and long-term care facilities retrofit their buildings and reduce COVID transmission, she added.
The Quezon City local government has placed four religious facilities under lockdown due to high number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases.
Based on the report of the Quezon City Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Unit (QCESU) there is a recent outbreak in Christ the King Mission Seminary, where almost half of its population has been infected. Out of the 59 individuals in the seminary, 25 tested positive for the virus.
As of September 18, eleven of these positive cases have recovered, 13 remain active, and one has succumbed to COVID-19.
QCESU Chief Dr. Rolando Cruz reported that the seminary’s Villa Cristo Rey and Fininman Building have bee placed under Special Concern Lockdown (SCL) since September 18.
The temporary closure of Christ the King Mission Seminary brings the total number of religious facilities in the city under lockdown to four. The other three are Stella Maris Convent (since September 10); Religious of the Virgin Mary (since September 14) and Convent of the Holy Spirit which has been under lockdown since September 15.
Meanwhile, the Quezon City government has started creating a set of guidelines on ventilation for buildings and workplaces to prevent and control the spread of COVID-19. AAC
UNTV is a major TV broadcast network with 24-hour programming. An Ultra High Frequency station with strong brand content that appeal to everyone, UNTV is one of the most trusted and successful Philippine networks that guarantees wholesome and quality viewing experience.